CGEM DX or Atlas?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rscott

rscott

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

I'm a beginner looking to purchase my first Astro scope. I'm seriously considering the AT65edq and am wondering which mount to put it on.

I know the CGEM DX is more expensive, but I've got a way to get it at the same price as an Atlas. Which would you choose and why?

#2 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

Both mounts will carry the AT65EDQ as if you had nothing on it, no worries there :)

If you plan on using a computer when imaging I'd say go with the Atlas because of EQMOD.

IF you do not plan on using a computer I'd say go with the CGEM because it has a better hand controller.

Both mounts are proven.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Guylain

#3 rscott

rscott

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestions :)

If you plan on using a computer when imaging I'd say go with the Atlas because of EQMOD.

Can you tell me what type of benefits I'd get with EQMOD running on a computer?

#4 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

The size scope you are considering both the CGEM DX and Atlas are overkill. Maybe you could consider buying the VX mount and put the $700 savings toward larger scope or other accessories. For that scope the VX would perform with similar efficiency as both the CGEM DX or Atlas.

Al

#5 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

The size scope you are considering both the CGEM DX and Atlas are overkill. Maybe you could consider buying the VX mount and put the $700 savings toward larger scope or other accessories. For that scope the VX would perform with similar efficiency as both the CGEM DX or Atlas.

Al

Ah... but that is a happy problem to have. Room to grow. I would still get one over the VX any time.

Guylain

#6 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

I can just barely balance my SV 70 on my standard CGEM. I don't think you would be able to balance the AT65edq on the DX at all.

Stan

#7 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Ranger 4

• Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

I would not recommend buying a mount that just good enough for what you plan to do immediately unless you buy a used one. Otherwise you will find that as you grow in the hobby and want to put more weight etc on the mount it just won't work for you anymore. Buy the most capacity you can afford at the outset. It's not a savings to drop down to a VX unless you are really certain that the AT65 is all you'll be using over the next few years.
Rgrds-Ross

#8 rscott

rscott

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

I can just barely balance my SV 70 on my standard CGEM. I don't think you would be able to balance the AT65edq on the DX at all.

Stan

Are you not able to remedy it by purchasing different sizes of counter-weights?

#9 ur7x

ur7x

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

Stan

One of the few differences between a CGEM DX and the plain 'ol CGEM is the thickness and the weight of the counter shaft. The DX shaft is big and is heavy. For some small OTA's the mount is already too over balanced without any weights at all.

#10 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

I was thinking of buying a DX until I realized how tall it was. I sit when using a SCT scope and it was going to be just too tall for me. My current Atlas has smaller diameter legs, but is shorter and/but can extend higher. The DX has a higher capacity. Also consider the Atlas Alt/
Az GEM. You could set it up in alt/az if you ever get a smaller newt and not have problems with EP positioning.

#11 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

Stan

I bought an ADM Losmandy saddle for my Atlas and all my scopes are fitted with a Losmandy dovetail bar. This provides more room to play with and I have no issue mounting AT65EDQ on the atlas.

In the image below it is mounted on an HEQ5Pro/Sirius, but I use the exact same configuration on the NEQ6Pro/Atlas.

Guylain

Attached Files

#12 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

And here is another one...

Attached Files

#13 rscott

rscott

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

And here is another one...

That's a nice looking setup... can you tell me about the gear you use? What's it end up weighing?

#14 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:03 AM

And here I thought I had too many cables. ;)

Nice, compact setup on a stout mount.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics