• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

Just opened up my box, and my tripod does have the hooks, but no chain.

The top set of leg metal on most of these tripods all have the inner fitting made for the tray/brace tongue, so the hooks seem a bit redundant. I do have a late eighties/early 90s vintage EQ-2 that does not have the hooks, so perhaps having both indicates either a transition period of tripod production, or options for different geographical markets?

#27 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

I scored some original chain.

After Home D., Lowes, and a different Ace, I went to my local usual Ace Hardware for other scope supplies. There it was on the chain rack. Not only is it the correct #2 Hobby Craft size, it is also stainless steel which is what the original on my Sears is. I bought the remainder of the whole roll. I checked on a new roll price but Ace had it discontinued due to Low Demand and would not order another roll. I swung a deal on price between the $2 per foot and full roll price. My cost per scope was a hair over $4, tax and all out the door. I have enough to do about 6 or 7 scopes and I only have 2 more scopes to do that I know of, but I have to check some more. I should have enough left over to do some others. ;)

The picture shows the subsitute #25 sash chain I was using till now. I also found an original size key ring in the junk drawer. The oversized ring on the #25 was for porportional looks. The chains are set to just suspend the center ring when the tray spreaders are fully extended. Each chain on the Sears has 2 or 3 extra links hanging. The Penncrest is the same size so I included the extra links as on the Sears. Each chain is about 11-1/4" long including the extra links, or 12" including the link that needs to be cut. The center ring is a typical key fob type and 3/4" diameter.

The picture also shows all 6 new rubber stopper leg tips.

Attached Files

Edited by apfever, 05 August 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#28 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

I had about 2 paragraphs detailing how I did this but CN went out during posting and I lost it all.

I fixed the original fitting for the slo-mo DEC adjuster, which was cracked clean in two at the arrow. I re attached the parts with Gorilla brand super glue, then filled the stripped interior threads with J.B. Weld in a two stage process. I retapped dead center down the original worn threads, leaving a coat of J.B through the interior. The inner threads are about 3/4" long and go equal distance on each side of the fracture. I did a 100%  thread tap.  It works great for now, but time will tell.  I didn't lean on the wrench when I installed the fitting into the mount, but I did get a very snug feel. I put Locktite Red on the face of the hex mounting boss, but nothing on the threads.

Attached Files

Edited by apfever, 05 August 2014 - 04:05 PM.

#29 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

Last entry for some time. This was initially just to check the Penncrest for feasability. It is now quite nice, but out of line in my projects list.

New toe guard. (missing)

Chain. (missing)

Fixed DEC control.

SS Weight pin. (kept the barbaric original)

Matching SS bolts for the legs to mount. (it came with a mixed set)

AZM nut and washer, plus shims, to hold the mount to the hub. (missing)

New rubber leg tips. (mostly gone, kept some original shrapnel)

The mount was originally off the hub due to the missing bolt and washer. I took the Sears apart as well and it was identical. The mount base and tripod hub ride on direct contact. The hub is a painted unmachined rough casting. The mount base has a machined face. Interesting that the face of the mount base is concave in towards the center so that it rides on the edge. Both scopes showed this wear around the hub edge. When I get back to these, I'll smooth the raised hub rim with a piece of sandpaper on a machined surface (table saw). The Penncrest had some small nicks around the perimeter of the mount base so I filed that a hair. You can see the smooth filed area around the edge in the photo (through the grease) which also highlights the concave finish. This small act had the Penncrest much smoother than the Sears in AZM.  I didn't file the Sears.

Attached Files

Edited by apfever, 05 August 2014 - 05:20 PM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics