Lodestar 'smoothing' via LodestarLive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:39 AM

Been using the SX Lodestar-Mx2 double-speed mono camera for 4 months now on DSOs which has given me time to access its qualities - they're near perfect ! No artefacts, ampglow or dead columns with less hot pixels than my old Lodestar-M but twice the effective speed so images are captured in double quick time and remarkably 'clean' for an uncooled camera. :o

There just one issue, and a very minor one, the grittyness [like film grain of old] of the sky background in raw images ! As the images are downloaded in a loop, under close inspection the background shows 'grain' is constantly shifting proof it's noise and not a permanent artefact.

The other night I did an experiment to see the minimum number of stacked frames using LL v0.9 that was needed to essentially elliminate the grain effect - I found just 3 mean stacks did the job as image below. The top enlarged cropped row show stacks of 1 [=raw image], 2 and 3 [top right]. Below [left] of main image is unstacked eg raw and right side x3 mean stacks all of 15sec exposure.

There are probably other effects resulting from LL v0.9 that may help smoothing the images which can then take much more aggressive post proccessing and maybe superior to additive stacking to go deeper. However I think Paul's LL s/ware in mean stack mode does a 'mean' job for the Lodestar-Mx2 :grin:

Attached Files

#2 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

Stacking is a wonderful thing indeed. I have similar observations with my Mallincam and Miloslick software, the images become very smooth and noise free (as much as possible in that regard).

A few people I know have the Camera Maurice is using, and have had fantastic results also. The whole community benefits with innovative software like Lodestar Live!

Andy

#3 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:10 AM

Agree,the camera and sw are great! Had my first light with the combo (LodestarX2 and LSLive) a few days ago, will post up results later.

john

#4 jimthompson

jimthompson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

Hi Nytecam,

Your image looks like maybe the JPG compression is contributing its own artifacts around stars. Can you post a non-lossy format version somewhere, like a TIF or PNG?

Thanks,

Jim T.

#5 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

Hi Nytecam, Your image looks like maybe the JPG compression is contributing its own artifacts around stars. Can you post a non-lossy format version somewhere, like a TIF or PNG?
Thanks, Jim T.

Thanks Jim - I too noticed the jpg compression around the brighter stars in the top right enlarged image but it doesn't affect the premise of image smoothing :-)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics