Photo

Selected Regions of The Milky Way: 7 New Images!!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

The rumors of my switching to digital have been greatly exaggerated.

Hello again film forum members!

It has been some time since I have posted any new film images. It is true that I have been having a fling with a mistress named DSLR, but like any illicit romance it can turn on you!

My last imaging session according to my Log book was October 11, 2012. I had just finished a roll of Superia that night and I almost never returned. I began experimenting with digital. It was fun and productive but I missed my old film images. I was delayed further about one year ago. Without warning I suffered a severe heart attack. It was quite the scene. I was a goner for sure if not for the help of some cracker jack EMT's that kept CPR going. I was a dead Nightfly for over 15 minutes. The ER got me back and the chopper flight to an emergency heart catheterization lab placed a stent and after several months of rehab I am back and good as new!

So back to the post. I had one great session in late June. For several back-to-back nights I had weather good enough to image with a new lens and I wanted to share with you all.

The images below are taken with the Pentax 67 and the 400mm F/4 SMC Takumar lens. I used apertures of f/4.8 or f/5.6 for 40-50 minute exposures on Fuji Neopan Acros 100 black and white negative film.

You can read about my project plan and inspiration here:

http://nightflyphoto...rnards-legac...

You can view the images and read about them here:

http://nightflyphoto...of-milky-way...

I'll provide one image on this post to tantalize you. Please follow the links as posting multiple images here is quite the chore.

It's good to be back and I see a few of you are still active. Keep them coming. This is the only active film astrophotography forum left. There are still many beautiful images yet to be made.

Film astrophotography in 2014. Who would have thought? :roflmao:

Attached Files

#2 SMigol

SMigol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:10 AM

This is awesome and I look forward to seeing more on the project.

#3 vandkc

vandkc

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Really wonderful shots. It is always a pleasure to see your work and wonderful to have you back, in good health, and posting once again. I look forward to following the progress of this project as it is inspiring stuff.
  • Nightfly likes this

#4 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Thank you both. It has been a pleasure to present them. The experience was well worth the effort with the images being the icing on the cake.

I am working on a color set next. Should be interesting. I may just shoot the same targets, but Ophiuchus is getting harder as the procession of the constellations is taking it out of range.

Enjoy the summer.

#5 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

Oh, one more thing. What happened to the forum?

Crickets.......

#6 canondslr

canondslr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

Stunning images! Can't wait to see more. Welcome back to film, and most importantly good health!! Love the look of Acros, and its amazing reciprocity. Will you be using Provia for your color set?
  • Nightfly likes this

#7 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Frostbite Falls

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

Jim is back in more ways that one. These are the new beginnings my friend and the ernest efforts rivalling EE Barnard will make their appearance here.

Let the games begin.

Igor
  • Nightfly likes this

#8 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

Stunning images! Can't wait to see more. Welcome back to film, and most importantly good health!! Love the look of Acros, and its amazing reciprocity. Will you be using Provia for your color set?

Thank you. The color sequence will use both Kodak E200 and Fujicolor Superia 100. Both are proven color films for astrophotography. Provia will record well in long exposures but is tainted with strong muddy color cast.

I've tested the new Kodak Portra films, both do ok in brief exposures with fast lenses. Of the two, Portra 160 seems best. Poor red response is the results.

#9 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

Jim is back in more ways that one. These are the new beginnings my friend and the ernest efforts rivalling EE Barnard will make their appearance here.

Let the games begin.

Igor

Praise indeed! I admit that the potential for even better results is at hand. These exposures were all "test" exposures as I had never shot this particular glass before. The lens if of formidable size and I was concerned initially about my old Meade 2080 to balance and hold it steady enough. The resulting exposures allayed those fears. I had zero images with tracking issues. On the human side of things I had to make sure I did not mess up! It would have been easy to bump the system as I was swatting mosquitoes. Watching the starfield for airplanes and fireflies also demanded alertness in the late hour. The exposures began on the first eve of summer so when the rolls were completed a sigh of relief was followed by some well earned nights of long deep sleep.

Posted Image

At the helm of the big 400 MM Takumar and 8" Meade 2080 "guidescope" before the long June dark run.

#10 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

Superb work, Jim! You have outdone yourself (no mean feat, that!)... :applause:  

• Nightfly likes this

#11 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

Glad to see you in the forum Nightfly! Congratulations on your new lens. It performs really well with Acros. I can see some elongation of the stars in the corners, but it is definitely not disturbing. Keep feeding us with your awesome images!

• Nightfly likes this

#12 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Frostbite Falls

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Let the games begin.

Igor

Praise indeed! I admit that the potential for even better results is at hand. These exposures were all "test" exposures as I had never shot this particular glass before. The lens if of formidable size and I was concerned initially about my old Meade 2080 to balance and hold it steady enough. The resulting exposures allayed those fears. I had zero images with tracking issues. On the human side of things I had to make sure I did not mess up! It would have been easy to bump the system as I was swatting mosquitoes. Watching the starfield for airplanes and fireflies also demanded alertness in the late hour. The exposures began on the first eve of summer so when the rolls were completed a sigh of relief was followed by some well earned nights of long deep sleep.

A look of satisfaction and determination - with just a few more miles on it.  :-)

#13 Tony Pilato

Tony Pilato

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

Jim,

Astounding images and a great project to work on. I have tried a similiar project  with hypered Tech Pan that turned into quite of a challenge (more about that at another time).

I also REALLY checked out your website. Excellent in all respects. I love the E.E. Barnard info. I am a big fan of his. I thought i'd mention it, although you probably already know, there is a great book on his life called "The Immortal Fire Within: The Life and Work of Edward Emerson Barnard by William Sheehan" It is hard to find but I found a used copy cheap online. Great Book.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations.

Tony P.

• Nightfly likes this

#14 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

The images look great as always.

I love how the  P67 on top the 8" makes the Meade look tiny.

#15 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

Thank you for the kind replies and comments.  

Tony, I have read the book you speak of.  It was a tremendous read, thoroughly enjoyable. It did indeed fuel my ambitions.  

The coming dark run looks promising weather wise.  My favorite part of the season as the skies tend to be more transparent and it gets dark much earlier. The mosquitoes are thin out and the fireflies have lost their way.  A round of color images is next.  I will use the 400mm again, but also a variety of other glass as well.  

For color I will be using some frozen stock of E200 and Fujicolor 100.  I love the Fujicolor as it provides much finer star images over the E200, but E200 has better, more natural reds and blues.  

Thirty years ago this month it all began for me.  If I get done with film by years end it will end on a high note.  That is one possibility as I cannot support more equipment as I continue to progress in the field.  With digital I have again, a beginners mind.  After last year's events, moving onto other areas is important to me as I want to experience the possibilities I have not yet explored.  

But don't worry.  Not just yet.

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics