• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 siriusarcher

siriusarcher

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

My first post here! Just got the Sky-Watcher AZ EQ6 last week and have been working with it to get my gear mounted, and the mount itself tuned up and ready for fun. I updated the SynScan hand controller with the latest firmware (version 3.35) without incident using the included serial cable connected to an old laptop. But I'm having a problem now with the update to the motor control firmware. The mount is connected to the laptop in "PC Direct Mode". The loader gets partway through the update and stops at completely random points in the process, sometimes near the beginning, other times in the middle, and rarely, almost 75% through the process for both motor controllers. The mount is now a giant door stop because the motor controller chips are incompletely overwritten, so it can't slew or track. Anyone out there with either the EQ6 or AZ EQ6 have this or a similar problem?

#2 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:33 AM

Someone else had the same problem. He did not post any resolution.

Trouble Updating AZ-EQ6 Motor Control Firmware

JohnD

#3 siriusarcher

siriusarcher

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

Thanks. My best guess is that the loader program trips up when the computer pauses for any reason. The particular computer I am using is fully maxed out in terms of its RAM, and is dipping frequently into its virtual memory on the hard disk. This may be causing the upload process to pause, and the loader may not handle pauses well. I'll try the update process with a different computer and see if that makes a difference. If it does, I'll let this community and Sky-Watcher know. Might be time for Sky-Watcher to update to USB. Who has a serial port on a computer anymore?

#4 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

You might want to recheck that post I referenced. The original poster came back with an answer.

JohnD

#5 paulabel

paulabel

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

Which USB/Serial Adapter are you using and in what version of Windows? As noted in my other thread on this topic, there is a problem with the drivers in Windows 7 and 8.1 for the Keyspan USA-19HS adapter (they worked fine for me in Vista). I eventually went to another adapter using the FTDI chipset and eliminated my problem.

Paul

#6 siriusarcher

siriusarcher

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I'm using Windows XP Professional, and the laptop has a real serial port so no USB to serial port drivers needed. I noted your issue with the Keyspan adapter. That shouldn't be a problem with this set-up.
I managed to find a complete Windows XP disk set with registration key along with a 32bit laptop (Dell) to run it on, and have a company setting it up for me as a dedicated unit for my telescope and mount. It has a serial port, and I am hoping if it is not encumbered by huge numbers of applications and files, should be able to run this loader and future updates with ease. I'm crossing my fingers because I don't want to have to send the head to Sky-Watcher to be flashed.

#7 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

Does this new motor control firmware do anything special worth upgrading for?

#8 siriusarcher

siriusarcher

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:03 PM

OK problem solved! Borrowed a more reliable computer and updated the MC firmware in just a few seconds. Clear night tonight here....Playtime!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics