Photo

Is it alot easier to handhold 10x50 than 12x50?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

Tony Flanders was saying

Binoculars are very individual things; one person's experience definitely doesn't apply to another.

THIS ^^^^^^^ to a surprising degree.

Marty

#27 tropical

tropical

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

As I get older I am leaning more toward lower mag binoculars.  I think my hands are still steady (as I still play classical guitar decently) but any pulses from heartbeats and body movements no doubt magnify the unpleasant viewing.  So this question seems like should I use a tripod or not for 10x or 12X? Then yes, 12X is better if it is mountable on a tripod.  Otherwise I think it is not worth the extra power.  But if you use the binos regularly and not just for astronomy then I think the 10X is more useful.  Just my 2 cents...

#28 DJastronomer

DJastronomer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

The smallest IS model that is recommended for astronomy is 10x30 and it usually costs around 500 USD. that is as much as my main telescope (127 mm mak on EQ3) or as much as two of my secondary scopes combined (Shorttube 102 and 90mm mak)
I'm just not sure if I'm willing to spend that amount of money on a 30mm bino, even if it has IS-function and great optics. However if I could get them for 200-300 USD ( or if I would have lived in a region with 300+ clear nights per year), maybe I would have thought differently.

For many of us, objective size doesn't correlate to the instrument's significance in our overall observing experience.  If you spend a lot of your observing time with binoculars, it may worth it to spend more so you can have the observing experience you want.  Of course, you can always hold out for a good deal.

The 30mm objective doesn't bother me at all, what I meant is that this model is the cheapest but it costs 500 USD. The 8x25 did not get really good reviews so I'm not considering it.  My 6x30 finderscope is also sometimes used like a primary instrument, (for variable stars), so I'm sure 10x30 would be great. The problem is that, I'm not a big bino-observer (yet), so I'm not sure if Canon-IS is gonna be worth the money. 

Clear skies!

Edited by DJastronomer, 08 August 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#29 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

Yes, lower power is easier to handhold and is less fatiguing.

Garrett pistol grip monopod will enable you to bump up power to 15x63 and views are great!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics