• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

Yeah.  

I could always just observe stuff in just the right parts of the sky, like this:  

Attached Files

Edited by tim53, 10 August 2014 - 07:25 PM.

#52 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Soyuz

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

If you ever get tired of that scope let me know.

Chas

#53 John Higbee

John Higbee

Mariner 2

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:06 AM

Tim - I've used an older version of the Little Giant 5' to 8' stepladder for my Cave 12.5" f6 since I got it.  Rock-solid on a pavement/flat field surface, and easy to position next to the pier.  With the rotating rings, never have a problem getting into a comfortable viewing position with the focuser (you can lean on the ladder without worrying about stability). Only challenge (minor) is that with the original "straight-through" Cave finder, the step spacing can sometimes put your eye out of the comfort zone for easy finder use.  

I've often used it with the scope pointed at the zenith.  Your additional 12.5" (f7 vs f6) is easily within the range of this ladder.  Highly recommend it! 

John

• tim53 likes this

#54 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Ordered me one of them little giant ladders last night. Not cheap, but I'm tired of not feeling safe or not viewing comfortably at the zenith.  

Tim

#55 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:24 AM

Ladder worked great!  In the first shot, I'm viewing Saturn, so I only needed the first step.  In the second, I used the third step, which is the wide one so all of your feets are fully supported.  Very comfy, and the tool shelf will be handy for eyepieces and stuff.  I did get into a position where it would be nice to have a half step between the 2nd and third steps, though.

-Tim.

Attached Files

• Mr Magoo and terraclarke like this

#56 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

Ladder worked great!  In the first shot, I'm viewing Saturn, so I only needed the first step.  In the second, I used the third step, which is the wide one so all of your feets are fully supported.  Very comfy, and the tool shelf will be handy for eyepieces and stuff.  I did get into a position where it would be nice to have a half step between the 2nd and third steps, though.

-Tim.

The Little Giants are great. We had tons of them when I was in the Air Force to use around the aircraft. 

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics