• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#26 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

2) Planting Catnip and other plants which mosquitos hate.

Of course, you will then need to plant dogwood to in order to repel the cats... :)

#27 stevenf

stevenf

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

I've got a set of clothes I treated with permetherin which kills mosquitos and ticks on contact. I never get bites when I'm wearing them.

#28 Fuzzyguy

Fuzzyguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado/Kansas

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

The other night I got bit 5 times just bringing the scope out and giving it a loose polar alignment and leveling. Less than a minute total. I turned on the ThermaCell and went inside for 10 minutes or so. I came back out and observed for about 45 minutes without one bite. This is has been my experience over two summers using it. 45 minutes is pretty short for me to observe. My sessions usually run 3 hours or so and I don't use it every night, but it's been rainy the last week or so and the skeeters have exploded.

Like Obin, I keep my grass short, I'm careful about not having standing water anywhere on the property and have some plants around that help keep them at bay. If the weather has been dry, they aren't much of a problem. Long sleeved light weight shirts are a help. The kind they sell to fishermen in outdoor catalogs have nice big pockets and D rings that are good to hold eye pieces, glasses, red lights etc. and they are ventilated to help with heat dispersal. The last week though, it has been so hot and humid, even fishing shirts aren't an option, so it's the ThermaCell or I don't view.

#29 DSObserver2000

DSObserver2000

Ranger 4

• Loc: North Texas

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

last night just to test it, I sprayed Repel with 40% DEET on a spot of grass I don't put my telescope on anyway. The next morning, a patch of dead grass sitting on the lawn, good thing it was in the backyard.

#30 A6Q6

A6Q6

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stroudsburg,Pa,U.S.A

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

The other night I got bit 5 times just bringing the scope out and giving it a loose polar alignment and leveling. Less than a minute total. I turned on the ThermaCell and went inside for 10 minutes or so. I came back out and observed for about 45 minutes without one bite. This is has been my experience over two summers using it. 45 minutes is pretty short for me to observe. My sessions usually run 3 hours or so and I don't use it every night, but it's been rainy the last week or so and the skeeters have exploded.

Like Obin, I keep my grass short, I'm careful about not having standing water anywhere on the property and have some plants around that help keep them at bay. If the weather has been dry, they aren't much of a problem. Long sleeved light weight shirts are a help. The kind they sell to fishermen in outdoor catalogs have nice big pockets and D rings that are good to hold eye pieces, glasses, red lights etc. and they are ventilated to help with heat dispersal. The last week though, it has been so hot and humid, even fishing shirts aren't an option, so it's the ThermaCell or I don't view.

Here is another link on ThermaCell, I hope this link keeps working: http://www.google.co...5,d.aWw&cad=rja

#31 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

Could be worse, my "in-town" site is at the local resevoir near the backwaters where it's swampy, so mosquito city....the DAS dark site also sets near a wet area runoff, so we get mosquitos there too (its the mosquito shrine to Carl Sagan, cause there's billions and billions of them).  Don't have mosquito #1 at the house,  just trees, and street lights, and football stadium lights, and skyscrapers........

I don't let it keep me from going out, but we do have West Nile virus here, so it's always a thought in the back of your mind and, unfortunately, i'm usually driving home drenched in DEET.  I do use a Thermacell now too...takes a few minutes to start working, but does seem to help a lot.....

Edited by csrlice12, 24 August 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#32 Philler

Philler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

Last night I disposed of the last ounce of my DEET down the drain with plenty of water.  I hate the stuff,  it has caused some kind of rash, it has caused damage to almost anything plastic of mine, I hate the smell of it, it's oily and blocks skin pours,  and it really does not work that well.

I can usually get by using nothing.

Edited by Philler, 24 August 2014 - 09:10 PM.

#33 aorion314

aorion314

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Elk Grove Ca

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:08 AM

The mosquitos are getting fairly bad this time of year down here so I thought I was being snazzy by spraying a ring of OFF around my scope's tripod last night.

This afternoon I came home to a ring of dead grass in the backyard.

I call it my new, and hopefully temporary, "put scope here" marker. :crazy:

aorion314 here, with all due respect, I disagree with your conclusion re DEET kills grass.  A more supportable conclusion would be something in my anti-mosquito spray kills grass, I would assert that one of the carrier molecules is a more likely culprit. AS offered in another comment DEET ruins plastic gives the critical hint. An old rule in chemistry is "like dissolves like" and in this case many of the carrier molecules are petrolium based, and utilizing "Ocam Razor" as a concluding mechanism hence a petrolium conclusion.  Additionally many DEET products are less than 25% by volume wheras carrier molecules will then make up to 75% or more of total volume.  Lastly the most recent research on DEET suggests strongly that the receptors on the feet of mosquitoes do not like the taste of DEET hence it's repellant value. Respectfully submitted. 

#34 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

The mosquitos are getting fairly bad this time of year down here so I thought I was being snazzy by spraying a ring of OFF around my scope's tripod last night.

aorion314 here, with all due respect, I disagree with your conclusion re DEET kills grass.  A more supportable conclusion would be something in my anti-mosquito spray kills grass, I would assert that one of the carrier molecules is a more likely culprit. AS offered in another comment DEET ruins plastic gives the critical hint. An old rule in chemistry is "like dissolves like" and in this case many of the carrier molecules are petrolium based, and utilizing "Ocam Razor" as a concluding mechanism hence a petrolium conclusion.  Additionally many DEET products are less than 25% by volume wheras carrier molecules will then make up to 75% or more of total volume.  Lastly the most recent research on DEET suggests strongly that the receptors on the feet of mosquitoes do not like the taste of DEET hence it's repellant value. Respectfully submitted. 

100% DEET will remove paint and melt plastic.

#35 jethro

jethro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rockefeller, Pa

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

As well as the hair on the bottom of your feet and palms... :lol:

#36 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:53 AM

I used some DEET last night, 40% stuff.  Nothing else in the house to use, so.  I've used it for years with no problems, except learning the lesson about what it'll damage, the hard way.  Hasn't hurt me, though.  But, yeah, it's nasty and oily.  gotta be careful to keep it off my hands.  I absent-mindedly rested my hand on my knee last night and had to go clean it off.  I used it so much on the trail a few years ago so much I thought it would show up in my blood test at the doc, LOL.  but no, and I've never had any trouble with it except for the usual messiness.

#37 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

I used Cutter repellent last night and apparently not enough as evidenced by about a dozen new bite welts! :(  :(  :(

#38 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

I used some DEET last night, 40% stuff.  (snip)  I used it so much on the trail a few years ago so much I thought it would show up in my blood test at the doc, LOL.  but no, and I've never had any trouble with it except for the usual messiness.

It's my understanding that DEET accumulates primarily in fatty tissues, and is usually not present in the blood.

Personally, I give it a wide berth unless its use is a dire necessity.

#39 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:52 PM

At the last Black Forest star party I sat in an enclosed area for the talks. Since it was cloudy and rainy I figured not to many attendees would be drenched in insect repellents. I was wrong and became ill within an hour. ( I have chemical sensitivities.)

#40 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

I'd like to try Thermacel.  But if I move to a different location would I have to wait for it to become effective again.  And what about a breeze lowing?

#41 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:20 AM

I'd like to try Thermacel.  But if I move to a different location would I have to wait for it to become effective again.  And what about a breeze lowing?

Meant to say breeze "blowing."  (Edit function didn't work).

#42 Bill Steen

Bill Steen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

I am going to try DEET on crab grass and see if the bermuda grows back any faster than with Roundup.

Pieces of Bounce softener sheets in pockets of a shirt also work.  I safety pinned some pieces around a shirt, which I put on over a tee shirt.  Body heat apparently evaporates the material.  I have some skin sinsitivities to the Bounce material, so the tee shirt protected me.

Bill Steen

#43 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

100% DEET will remove paint and melt plastic.

Well, I agree with the mosquitos....I don't like the taste either.....

#44 jethro

jethro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rockefeller, Pa

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:07 PM

I don't think it was meant to drink with the coffee. :confused:

#45 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:34 AM

I don't think it was meant to drink with the coffee. :confused:

But it adds that special flavor! Mmmm-mmm! :drool5:

#46 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:09 AM

and where you pee, the grass dies...... :lol:

#47 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

It's my understanding that DEET accumulates primarily in fatty tissues, and is usually not present in the blood.

Personally, I give it a wide berth unless its use is a dire necessity.

Me too. I avoid chemicals as much as possible. Being in the military and working around aircraft I get exposed to some nasty stuff. I avoid DEET unless absolutely necessary. I don't want to be on my death bed saying "man I wish I just mowed the lawn more often and used a fan."

obin :(

#48 aorion314

aorion314

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Elk Grove Ca

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:44 AM

aorion314 here, with regards to DEET, one should look at the pharmacologic principle of LD 50. This mechanism allows one to calculate the LETHAL DOSE 50% of a given population for a particular chemical. It is an excellent way to determine danger/risk/lethality and potency.  The LD50 for DEET is a very large number, even at a 100% concentration it is still a large number. Hence the chemical DEET is a drug that has a repeatable response and a well acceptable risk profile, and for the largest portion of the population an effective chemical to repel  insects.  Additionally a very long list of substances that are stored in body fat which can be measured in numbers that are big to small (range 10~3 to 10~12),and risk of larger amounts in accumulation if you are at the top of a feeding chain. Respectfully submitted.

#49 KidOrion

KidOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carbondale, IL

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

Around here, the mosquitoes just laugh at DEET before draining its users dry like the vampire cloud from Star Trek.

I use methyl-ethyl-ketone instead.  Oh, sure, even the heat from a firefly's butt could turn me into a raging inferno, and after about five minutes I have to start hopping back and forth on one leg singing the instrumental breaks from Yes tunes (live versions only) in order to ward off the flying rhinocogators and the giant blue land-squids that are trying to iron my cerebral cortex smooth, and I need a bucket to keep the phosphorescent drool from eating through my telescope mirror, but it's worth it until the sky starts Riverdancing.

Edited by KidOrion, 13 September 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#50 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

:funny:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics