NexStar 102GT load capacity

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

I'm wondering about the weight limit of this mount. Can't find it elsewhere. I've moved the OTA to another mount and replaced the legs with something much more substantial. I'm thinking about putting my Lunt 60mm solar scope on it. Anyone done anything similar?

#2 gdd

gdd

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

Not yet, but I was thinking about getting a small refractor to put on my mount that came with my NexStar 102GT (F/10). The Lunt weighs a couple of pounds more than the 102GT if I recall correctly, but it is about half the length which should make it much easier for the NexStar mount to handle.

Gale

#3 tomwall

tomwall

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

Hi Gale,

I bought one of those too. I just love it!

I have overloaded my GT mount by a lot and still get good visual goto performance. With my c8 and telrad, I think I'm pushing 13lbs. Good balance is critical. I also shorten my bottom leg to about only 6 inches. Finally, I place a 5 lb weight on the eyepiece tray.

8lb payload limit

Tom

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

I think the regular Lunt 60 (tilt) would be fine.

Not so sure about the pressure tuned model.  One of my major complaints about the pressure tuner is that it takes enough pressure to tune that it will shake the mount pretty badly..  Even my Vixen Polaris with HAL 110 legs, a mount that I use a 15 lbs Stellarvue 110ED with binoviewers on, shakes when I use the pressure tuning. 

Even with a surveyors tripod, I did not think the GT mount was very solid.

But the stanard Lunt 60 should be perfect on it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics