• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bjgiii

bjgiii

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Port Charlotte, FL

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

I have the new WO Star71. Attached to the scope is a canon dslr and a small red dot finder. When trying to balance the scope I would need to slide the counter weight all the way to the top of the counter weight shaft to get in somewhat balanced. Its the standard weight that comes with the mount. Does anyone have a solution to using such a light setup on this mount? Would being out balance through of my targets using go to?

#2 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

You need to get a lighter counter weight. Orion sells them here; http://www.telescope...75lb-Counter...

Stan

#3 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

You will need a smaller counterweight or some type of weight attached to the OTA/dovetail bar. If the balance is close you may be able to attach a small weight to the dovetail bar.

#4 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

If your balance is close, I doubt if being off a little would effect goto's.

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:13 AM

It won't.. tracking performance might be affected if guiding for astrophotography.

That said.. I put a Canon 70-200mm lens and DSLR, and an SV80ED on my Star Adventurer (a much smaller mount) with no counterweights or shaft, and it still tracked adequately.

Posted Image

Look ma, no counterweight!

#6 nodalpoint

nodalpoint

Apollo

• Loc: FEMA camp

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

I have the new WO Star71. Attached to the scope is a canon dslr and a small red dot finder. When trying to balance the scope I would need to slide the counter weight all the way to the top of the counter weight shaft to get in somewhat balanced. Its the standard weight that comes with the mount. Does anyone have a solution to using such a light setup on this mount? Would being out balance through of my targets using go to?

Go to Amazon for a counterweight for a boom microphone stand.

http://www.amazon.co...AXC/ref=sr_1...

This fits the AVX perfectly.

You could also use a small exercise weight. Each option will cost less than an "astro" product. I have the mic weight and it would be my first choice for your solution.

#7 swix

swix

Explorer 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

The weights on the CG4 and the AVX have the same hole diameter. CG4 weights are 4 & 7 lbs...

#8 bjgiii

bjgiii

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for all the advice. Does anyone have any idea why my goto's are so far off? Nothing was showing up in the camera at all. I just used this mount with my C8 a few days ago and all the targets were right in the center of the EP.

#9 Brian Carter

Brian Carter

Gemini

• Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

Are the camera and red dot finder pointed at the same spot? Are you trusting the initial alignment stars? I've noticed with my AVX that after I turn it on and pick a star, it never slews to the right place and I have to correct it. But after I do that with the alignment and calibration stars it works great. I imagine that using a wide-angle camera, the alignment star would be tough to center.

#10 x6gas

x6gas

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

If it's anything like the CG-5 then it's worth running the calibration routine when changing scopes...

#11 bjgiii

bjgiii

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

I use the the Two star alignment followed by the four calibration stars. It doesn't seem to get real close like my c8. When the red dot is placed on a star it shows up on the live view of the camera. Not centered though. I could adjust the red dot once centered on the camera.

#12 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

could be because your camera is such a smaller FOV, has to be about dead on with red dot finder and camera view,
Kasey

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics