95 replies to this topic

#1 NickWDavis

NickWDavis

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

Hi,

I'm being tempted by the closeout prices on the LX80 OTAs.

Eventually, I'd like to get a 10"ACF or 11"Edge but for now I simply don't have the money.

Do you think the 6" model can satisfy me?

I currently have a WO Zenithstar 80II and an ETX-90, both riding on an Orion Atlas.

I'd wait and buy the 8" but I'm afraid I will miss the sale and have to pay more for the newer f8 model.

I appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

#2 WebFoot

WebFoot

Viking 1

• Loc: Redmond, WA, USA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

Nick,

Nobody else can say whether something will "satisfy" you.

A 6" SCT certainly will give you better views that either of your existing scopes. If you're anywhere near normal, it will leave you wanting more aperture.

You might consider buying someone's used 8" or 10" SCT OTA. I also recently was debating between the 10" ACF and the 11" Edge, but pounced on a 10" LX200 OTA for sale locally for $450. I may choose, some day, to get a more modern OTA with better optics, but this is fine for now.

Mark

#3 NickWDavis

NickWDavis

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

I meant satisfy temporarily.

Thanks for the reply.

The only other SCT's I've used were 12 and 14" and both under inner city skies (Detroit) so I guess what I was really trying to ask is whether or not the 6" would be an improvement over my ETX-90 OTA.

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

I wouldn't look at as temporary.

An optically good 6" SCT is a great all round scope. It's small enough to travel with and can be carried by similar mounts as an 80mm refractor. It's very versatile, the only thing it really can't do is wide field visual work but when working at f6 with a focal reducer it's no slouch. Owning a large SCT is great but a small SCT is something that can be used in much wider variety of situations. I find that they compliment each other quite well.

I think you'll find that you'll want to hang on to a 6" SCT no matter what other scopes you may end up with.

#5 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

A 6" SCT is a great little scope. Big scopes are nice, but they're big!

#6 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

I too am tempted by the close out prices of the Meade OTAs. I started a post to find out opinions about them especially the 6" model. But I also question if I really have a need because I currently have two very good C8s. and an excellent 4" ED doublet refractor. So I have to ask myself is the Meade 6"SCT something that would fill a gap in my observing or do I just want a shiny new toy:) I think for the op the 6"SCT would always be an excellent grab and go over a 90mm mak making it useful when he gets a much larger scope though.

#7 Tim J K

Tim J K

Vostok 1

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

I have a C6 that I use on an SE mount and sometimes on a Vixen Porta II. It is probably my most used scope. Great optics, light weight and relatively quick to cool. Awesome little scope that delivers very nice images for a great price!

#8 NickWDavis

NickWDavis

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I've ordered the 6" Meade.

Because I live in the city and own a ridiculously tiny car I decided not to wait for the 8" model.

On a related note: is there any reason that I should not mount this scope along with my other two?
I currently have the ZS80 and ETX90 on an ADM vixen-style dual saddle. I'm thinking I could stack the ETX on top of the 80mm and mount the SCT on the other side.

Thanks.
-Nick

#9 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Dang, I came here to post a post and seen this.web page Is this the one you ordered? I'm looking at this as a grab and go for my back yard. I'm not attempting to steal your thread. It just looks similar to what I was going to post. It will go on a CG-4 with a dual axes motor drive. Did you find a cheaper price?

#10 NickWDavis

NickWDavis

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Yup, that's the one.
I can't wait to get it.

That is the store I ordered it from too. I didn't see a cheaper price but I didn't look all that hard.

#11 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

The price at HPS is very good. I bought a C6 about a year ago for $399 and that was a good deal. This one is $30 better.

Mike

#12 NickWDavis

NickWDavis

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

The meade just arrived.

My first impressions are listed below.

It is noticeably heavier than the C6's that I used to setup for school.

The 90 degree diag feels cheap.

The finder scope bracket and mount are plastic.

The 50 x 8 finder looks huge compared to the ota.

The dove-tail is cast aluminum but feels strong.

The focus is stiff but smooth.

It was well packaged.

Overall I am happy.

#13 NickWDavis

NickWDavis

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

Also,

If anyone is aware of a rigid aluminum dew shield that will fit this model please let me know.

I noticed that there is a 6" astrozap model that is made to fit what they call the ETX LS. Is this the LightSwitch model they are referring to?

Thanks.
-Nick

#14 Brollen

Brollen

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

Nick - it is a wonderful little SCT at a great price. I ordered one a few months back (also from HPS) and have been extremely pleased with its performance. It is a bit heavier than the C6 (also owned one a few years back) and there are a few plastic parts, but I have found the Meade to be a solid performer with very crisp optics. Have mine paired with a HPS 1.25" Dielectric diagonal and the Meade 14mm 1.25" UWA EP - the 3 work fabulously together!

#15 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

I never concern myself with the diagonal, finderscope or eyepieces included with OTAs. Consider them giveaways. Upgrade to better accessories when you're able. What you bought is an OTA. IME & IMO that is the best way to look at it.

Go with an Astrozap dew shield or something similar. Why would you want a heavy metal dew shield?

Mike

#16 NickWDavis

NickWDavis

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

Actually, the Astrozap one I was referring to is made of aluminum. I figured that I had plenty of capacity with the Atlas so why not use an aluminum shield but now I am not so sure. With all 3 scopes mounted, the two supplied counter weights are at the end of the bar, and that is without any eyepieces in or the focus extended. I would probably have to use the extension bar in order to balance the whole set up. I'm going to weigh everything tonight as well. I am not imaging so I think it can handle it.

#17 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Vostok 1

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

I bought one on sale from HPS as well. I can't mount it until some upgrade parts arrive for my Unistar Light Basic mount. My initial impressions are very good for the 6" OTA. The cradle for the 8x50 finder is plastic but seems robust enough. The threaded plug at the end of OTA is aluminum. It appears to be very well manufactured. I can't wait to actually look through it!

#18 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

Over all, is this a good Scope?
I want to order one?
My CG-4 wants it.

#19 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Vostok 1

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

I can't comment on the optics since I can't mount it until I get new Unistar parts next week. Physically it seems very well made. The corrector plate has a purplish glint from the coating. The supplied diagonal is cheap which is to be expected. Others have reported good optics.

#20 NickWDavis

NickWDavis

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

Same here.

The OTA appears to be well made. I was hoping to use it tonight but a thunderstorm is moving through Detroit right now. It is predicted to clear up after midnight but the humidity will probably remain too high.

#21 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

I have a 4" B&L SCT. It's old school. Would a 6" be an improvement?

#22 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Vostok 1

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

I have a 4" B&L SCT. It's old school. Would a 6" be an improvement?

Of course the Meade 6" is 2" larger than your B&L 4". Plus the Meade will have better coatings. So, yeah, the Meade 6" would be a significant improvement IMHO.

#23 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Vostok 1

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

Attached File  Meade6.jpg   260.75KB   1 downloadsI have my new Meade 6" LX80 mounted on a UnistarLight & Photo tripod and ready to go. This setup is pushing the limits of portability. After collapsing the legs,  I can carry the mount/scope in one hand while eyepieces and accessories are in a backpack strapped to my back.  I will be removing the finder scope permanently and upgrading the diagonal.

Edited by JimOfOakCreek, 05 August 2014 - 05:41 PM.

#24 NickWDavis

NickWDavis

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

That looks cool. I need something portable like that for the rare times when someone wants to go observing with me. My car is a 2 seater and cannot carry gear + people.

#25 cwilson

cwilson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Oklahoma

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

I meant satisfy temporarily.

Thanks for the reply.

The only other SCT's I've used were 12 and 14" and both under inner city skies (Detroit) so I guess what I was really trying to ask is whether or not the 6" would be an improvement over my ETX-90 OTA.

Umm... Not trying to go off topic - but you go out after dark in Detroit?! :blackeye:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics