• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#26 NickWDavis

NickWDavis

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

I do. I've lived in Detroit for 8 years without incident to myself; my cars are another story.

My viewing location is 30 miles to the south near the shore of Lake Erie. The entire Northern sky is obscured by the light pollution from Detroit but the southern sky is fairly dark because the lake is in that direction. On a good night, the milky way is visible. Polaris is a strain for the naked eye but is easily seen in my polar alignment scope.

• cwilson likes this

#27 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I've ordered the 6" Meade.

Because I live in the city and own a ridiculously tiny car I decided not to wait for the 8" model.

On a related note: is there any reason that I should not mount this scope along with my other two?
I currently have the ZS80 and ETX90 on an ADM vixen-style dual saddle. I'm thinking I could stack the ETX on top of the 80mm and mount the SCT on the other side.

Thanks.
-Nick

Optically, the ones I've used are quite good. The downside is that it is very heavy for a 6" coming in at just under 12# bare. My orange Super C8 is under 11. I think you might find the 6 a bit much for the CG-4.

#28 cwilson

cwilson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Oklahoma

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

I do. I've lived in Detroit for 8 years without incident to myself; my cars are another story.

My viewing location is 30 miles to the south near the shore of Lake Erie. The entire Northern sky is obscured by the light pollution from Detroit but the southern sky is fairly dark because the lake is in that direction. On a good night, the milky way is visible. Polaris is a strain for the naked eye but is easily seen in my polar alignment scope.

My brother used to live near Lake Erie in PA. It always seemed the lake produced it's own layer of clouds. Not heavy cloud, but a thin layer that caused for few clear nights. Do you have that same issue on the other end of L. Erie?

#29 Benson

Benson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: -6 gmt

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:33 AM

It's a nice little scope. It doesn't weigh enough to be a concern, IMO. That little bit of extra heft gives it a 'mercedes' feel.

• Starlon likes this

#30 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Vostok 1

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

Over the last couple of nights I did some observations of Saturn. The little 6" SCT comes surprisingly close to my 8" dob. Cassini Div doesn't pop quite as much but it's not a bad planetary scope. My second-hand 2" dielectric diagonal arrived yesterday. I had a chance to do a star test. The optics on these 6" SCTs are quite good. Initially the collimation was off a tad. After a tweak the optics rawk!

Edited by JimOfOakCreek, 07 August 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#31 NickWDavis

NickWDavis

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

I haven't noticed any cloud issues with Lake Erie, though it is hard to tell because Michigan is a fairly cloudy state.

I'm glad I didn't get the 8" model because I like having my refractor mounted at the same time. Right now the whole load weighs 38lbs. I had to use the counterweight shaft addition in order to achieve balance.  

I was out last night trying to see through the glare of the moon. The GoTo seemed to work fine and I didn't notice any signs of struggling during high-speed slewing.

The noises the mount makes during standard tracking were louder than normal though.

I was hoping to mount my SLR and take a photo to test the mount's performance with this load but decided against it with the moon and high humidity.

The next thing I need to get is a higher quality 2" diagonal. Does the 6" have the standard SCT visual back threads on it?

Edited by NickWDavis, 07 August 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#32 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Vostok 1

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

The next thing I need to get is a higher quality 2" diagonal. Does the 6" have the standard SCT visual back threads on it?

Yes, the 6" LX80 has standard visual back threads. I bought a used Meade 2" enhanced diagonal with an SCT adapter and it screwed on perfectly.

#33 NickWDavis

NickWDavis

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

Thank you.

#34 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Vostok 1

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

I split the double-double with the Meade 6" with a 10mm plossl (150x) tonight just moments ago. There's a thin veil of clouds but had just enough good sky to view Epsilon Lyrae. This is a darn good 6" scope.

Edited by JimOfOakCreek, 08 August 2014 - 10:10 PM.

• Starlon likes this

#35 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:40 PM

I'd actually lean towards the C6 OTA.  About the same price, lighter weight, and not a discontinued/closeout model.  Excellent optically too.

Regards,

Jim

#36 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

I've never owned a Meade telescope, only a few of their eyepieces. 

Mike

#37 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

I noticed that there is a 6" astrozap model that is made to fit what they call the ETX LS. Is this the LightSwitch model they are referring to?

Thanks.
-Nick

That's correct, the cut out is for the large GPS module on the side of the scope.

#38 andrew hampton

andrew hampton

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wales

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:10 AM

Hi

Was wondering what the maximum field the 6" will show before vignetting - would a 24mm 68deg show any ? 

thanks, andrew

#39 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

With a digital caliper, I measured the rear opening of the C6 to be 25.6mm.  A Pan 24 has about a 68 degree AFOV and a 27mm field stop. That will give you about a one degree TFOV.  Probably there will be some vignetting. Will you see it? :shrug: It would be cutting it close. Personally, I wouldn't push it beyond that point.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 12 August 2014 - 08:42 AM.

• andrew hampton likes this

#40 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

I split the double-double with the Meade 6" with a 10mm plossl (150x) tonight just moments ago. There's a thin veil of clouds but had just enough good sky to view Epsilon Lyrae. This is a darn good 6" scope.

Technically the Double-double should never be a challenge for a 6" scope.  It's splittable in a 60mm, and a piece of cake in scopes 3" and up.

Try Delta Cygni.  It's a more challenging double as it's tighter, the brightness differential between the two components is greater and the secondary will be near the first diffraction ring in a 6-incher.

- Jim

#41 Starlon

Starlon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: desert, USA

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:29 AM

The Meade 6" SCT is still available at Agena. It is a quality scope & the weight - is of no concern. I love the helical finder too.  A CG-4 can easily handle such a weight, especially such a stubby little guy like the 6" SCT.  I even use it on a Vixen Porta II mount for quick looks around the sky, I can easily tote it out to the yard, mounted. The optics on mine are first class. 

PS - The reason these ota's are discontinued is that they were part of Meade's LX80 packages.  They also had 10" SCT's, and Agena has a few of them too.   

Edited by Starlon, 16 August 2014 - 01:19 AM.

#42 Chris Lindsay

Chris Lindsay

Vostok 1

• Loc: Battle Ground , WA.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:48 PM

I even use it on a Vixen Porta II mount for quick looks around the sky, I can easily tote it out to the yard, mounted. The optics on mine are first class. 

How is stable is it with the 6"  I was thinking of upgrading to the Meade from my 127mm Apex MAK.  Can you please add little more details on that?

#43 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Vostok 1

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:42 PM

I've had mine for a couple of months and love it as a one-trip-quick-setup scope. I use it with a UnistarLight mount on heavy photo tripod. A finger tap takes 5 seconds to dissipate. Not ideal but I can live with it. Optics are quite good, better than expected. 

#44 Starlon

Starlon

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

I even use it on a Vixen Porta II mount for quick looks around the sky, I can easily tote it out to the yard, mounted. The optics on mine are first class. 

How is stable is it with the 6"  I was thinking of upgrading to the Meade from my 127mm Apex MAK.  Can you please add little more details on that?

The Porta II is rated for 20#.  The OTA w/diagonal & ep = 13# - and with no moment arm to cause the jiggles, my scope does very well for - as I stated - casual observing. I can quickly whisk the setup out to the yard for viewing. If you plan to do a lot of high power viewing, it is of course an alt/az mount - so, in that case you may want an eq mount. I really like the scope and the finder is excellent. The Meade optics are first rate, as good as Celestron - if not better.  They both produce very good optics these days, it's down to a science. Very uniform.

I note that OPT has a good sale, see below. 

http://www.optcorp.c...0610-08-00.html    <---- $346.84  

http://agenaastro.co...a-ii-mount.html

#45 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

I bought a 6" from OPT last week. So far I am very impressed with this compact scope. Test images from my first night out can be found at...

http://www.cloudynig...st-light-image/

and

http://www.cloudynig...-a-6”-lx80-ota/

Edited by jgraham, 28 September 2014 - 06:43 PM.

• JimOfOakCreek likes this

#46 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Vostok 1

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

Nice images John...I am impressed. Awesome!!

• Bill Barlow likes this

#47 Starlon

Starlon

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:28 PM

I bought a 6" from OPT last week. So far I am very impressed with this compact scope. Test images from my first night out can be found at...

http://www.cloudynig...st-light-image/

and

http://www.cloudynig...-a-6”-lx80-ota/

Very nice!  My scope is excellent too. What a deal, whoever can should snap it up. A real keeper. I like the crinkle finish too.

#48 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

Posted Yesterday, 07:53 AM

I was surprised at how flat the field looks, even on the images coming from the off-axis guider. I didn't think that the 6" was supposed to have the ACF optics, but it sure looks like it does. Either way, this is a very nice scope. I'm soooo glad I grabbed one.

#49 MrJones

MrJones

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted Yesterday, 12:59 PM

I imaged NGC 457 last night to test my ZEQ25 mount with Meade 6" ACF and our images look very alike. Either we both have ACF or neither one of us does.

#50 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

Posted Yesterday, 02:06 PM

It would be fun to find out. If I read the ads right the 6" LS and LT scopes were ACF, however the LX80 ads read as though they are standard SCTs. The relatively large secondary suggests that they might be ACFs. The secondary mount also looks like the ones that were used on the ACFs. I was just so surprised to see stars that looked like stars on my off-axis guider. I used to guiding with comet-looking stars on my 8" and 10" SCTs at f/10. I'll have my SN8 occupying my imaging mount this evening, but I'm planning on putting my 6" SCT on one of my spare LXD75s and take a peek at the moon.

Speaking of the relatively large secondary, I don't notice any adverse effects from it at all. It pumps a little light into the first diffraction ring, but that seems to be about it. The performance on double stars is wonderful. I love the solid focus movement, I don't notice any mirror shift when changing directions. I also checked the focus with a Bahtinov mask several times during a 3-hour imaging run and it didn't budge.

Very nice.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics