Old Zeiss Jena tripod and mount

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bignegs

Bignegs

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

First post! I hope this is an appropriate question for this section.

Years ago, my friend had his cottage broken into. The thieves stole his telescope, but left the wooden tripod and mount. He had no use for it, so gave it to me. It's in good shape, and seems a lot sturdier than the EQ2 mount I have for a small Newtonian. Currently the scope is quite "wiggly".

The saddle is too narrow for a vixen rail. Is there a source for a rail that I could use to mount the scope? It probably wouldn't be worthwhile to have a rail made, methinks.

Suggestions?

Failing that, is the tripod/ mount worth anything?

#2 BullTerrier

BullTerrier

Vostok 1

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

Hi,
It sounds like you might be describing the Zeiss Telementor Mount. Many folks say that the dovetail that fits the mount is similar to the ones that AstroPhysics used on the Traveller telescopes. If you search the Reviews on Cloudy Nights, you'll see a Zeiss Telementor review by PJ Anway. He's posted a few pictures and wrote a great review.
Towards the end of the article, he notes that the AstroPhysics Dove08 saddle fits the Telementor dovetail. So if you ask AstroPhysics if they still produce the Dovetail which fits the Dove08 Saddle, you should be in luck.
They are great mounts and worth money if in decent shape. Search the classified on Cloudy Nights by typing in Zeiss Telementor. A number of mounts and mount / telescope combos will pop up, giving you a good idea about price. If you decide to sell it, PM me. I may be interested in buying it.

Thanks
Martin.

#3 BullTerrier

BullTerrier

Vostok 1

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

Forgot my manners. Welcome to this forum. I am relatively new to posting to it but it is a great place with wonderful, knowledgeable and helpful folks.

Here are a couple of links to help you out:
Telementor review with pictures:
http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=2683

Cloudy Nights Classifieds for Telementor
http://www.cloudynig...ll&stype=1&s...

#4 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Ranger 4

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

A couple of sources for a aftermarket Zeiss dovetail rail :

EUR 49
http://www.bw-optik....der/schiene.jpg
mail: shop@bw-optik.de
a couple of mm wider than the original, but still fits the mount

US$ 125
http://stores.ebay.c...com-e-bay-store
mail: fallingstars.com
This comes closest to the original

The price for a Zeiss tripod with mount head depends on the type (motorized:TM or not:T) and the state of the item.

Allan
PS: and welcome !! :grin:

#5 Bignegs

Bignegs

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for all the replies, most helpful.

I believe that AP stocks the rail I need, 7" Dovetail Sliding Bar (SB0800).

The price is very reasonable, so my next step is to order one and adapt the scope to the bar. If it works, it should be a substantial improvement to the existing mount.

I wanted to use this as a quick setup for casual viewing. I'm in the process of planning a roll off roof observatory for my other scopes.

Again, thanks to all who chimed in with suggestions.

#6 BullTerrier

BullTerrier

Vostok 1

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

Hi,
I sent you a PM on this as well. I've ordered the SB0800 and should get it soon. If you want to wait for me to try it out on my Telementor mount first before you purchase it, I'll let you know how it goes. But from what I've read on the Yahoo Telementor Group site, the folks there say it works.
There is also a 10inch version from Astro Physics as well.

Martin

#7 BullTerrier

BullTerrier

Vostok 1

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

Bignegs,

Got the AP SB0800 dovetail today and, as you can see below, it's pretty good match for the mount.  I think, if I were to do over again, I'd get the 10" instead of the 7" just to allow for better balancing.

Martin

Attached Files

Edited by BullTerrier, 04 August 2014 - 06:24 PM.

#8 Bignegs

Bignegs

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

Hi Martin,

Thanks for posting that, it looks like an excellent fit. I'll have to order one today! :bow:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics