Photo

Small, Light, Rechargeable Pack for NexStar?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#26 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:07 AM

OK, I'm still not sure what power supply I should buy for my NexStar SE 6/8 mount. The onlybatterypacks.com products are out, because I cannot access their website. Are they out of business? Who knows? I really do not want to call them on the phone. 

And I'm still not sure even what specs I should be looking for in a power supply. I don't want a mini-course in electronics, just a good idea of what I need for my NexStar.  I'll only be using the power supply at home for grab-n-go sessions, maybe four hours max.  I will continue to use my Orion Power Supply when I go to dark sites.  Both at home and at remote sites I will have eight AA Alkaline batteries in the NexStar battery compartment as a backup.

Mike

#27 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

Their website is working OK here. The line of batteries you need are at this link.

http://www.onlybatte...items.asp?db=37

#28 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

No, it is not working OK. I just now clicked on that link and I still get the same error message. It's not working for others, too, as I see from this thread. It didn't work from my home computer either. Why should it work for some and not for others? I don't know. But I'm done with that company. Too bad.

Mike

#29 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

The problem may be a contaminated DNS server that your provider uses. There's probably nothing you or I can directly do to fix the problem.

Is my previous link working for others?

#30 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

The problem may be a contaminated DNS server that your provider uses. There's probably nothing you or I can directly do to fix the problem.

Is my previous link working for others?

They all work for me.

#31 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

The onlybatterypacks.com site didn't work for MidnightDan, either, after he tried it again.  I have no idea what a "contaminated DNS server" means.  I have Comcast at home. I don't know what they use at work.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 04 August 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#32 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

So I need to be a data systems engineer and an electronics expert to get a battery pack for my NexStar? Forgetaboutit.

I saw this website: http://www.maxxpacks.com/  At the top of the main page I see "MaxxPacks.com at OnlyBatteryPacks, Inc." What does that mean, exactly? In any case, I CAN access this website. I will look at what they have to offer.

Any comments on their wares?

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 04 August 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#33 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

Somewhere among these might be what I need: http://www.maxxpacks...php?cPath=80_89  

12.0v 10 Cell NiMH

Mike

#34 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

This appears to be the one you need. It's the same as the Only*** pack.

http://www.maxxpacks...roducts_id=2462

The comment at the top of their page suggests to me that their batteries are also available at Only*** for about the same price.

A corrupted DNS server is one that has erroneous data when asked to convert a website name to it's IP number. The problem could also mean that your internal DNS cache is corrupted and needs to be flushed. Someone else may be able to tell you how to do that. I've never had the need.

#35 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

I also just experienced a DNS problem by not being able to reach any site in my Bing search for "clear dns cache". It's now working again and I found this item.

http://www.tech-reci...ns_cache_flush/

#36 Mikeebee

Mikeebee

Lift Off

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

I too have been researching a portable power supply for my 6SE. I have been using an extension cord and A/C adapter at home and a 120v inverter , extension cord and 12v accessory socket in the car when I am in the field. It has been a PITA in the field with the car power supply especially when it automatically shuts off every hour.

Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Lith-ion packs from ebay? It has 9800Ah with charger for less than $30!

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Mike...

#37 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

I also just experienced a DNS problem by not being able to reach any site in my Bing search for "clear dns cache". It's now working again and I found this item.

http://www.tech-reci...ns_cache_flush/

Thanks anyway, but I don't think that'll work for me. I'm still using XP!

:grin:

Mike

#38 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

I too have been researching a portable power supply for my 6SE. I have been using an extension cord and A/C adapter at home and a 120v inverter , extension cord and 12v accessory socket in the car when I am in the field. It has been a PITA in the field with the car power supply especially when it automatically shuts off every hour.

Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Lith-ion packs from ebay? It has 9800Ah with charger for less than $30!

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Mike...

I'm going to stay away from electric cords hooked up to the side of my house or to my car. A tripping and electric hazard. Besides, at home I would set up about 300' behind my building. My outdoor electric outlet is at the front of the building. That would be opening up a can of stupid.  :undecided:

Yep, I'd be curious to know if anyone has tried the Chinese Lith-ion packs as well.

Mike

#39 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

I had a problem with onlybatterypacks.com for a short period one day during this thread, but it has been working for me ever since.  I didn't have to clear any caches or do any DNS malarky.  So I think the site was just down at that point.

Sarkikos - not sure what problem you're experiencing.  You might try clearing caches in your browser and restarting.  

-Dan

#40 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

This appears to be the one you need. It's the same as the Only*** pack.

http://www.maxxpacks...roducts_id=2462

The comment at the top of their page suggests to me that their batteries are also available at Only*** for about the same price.

That's #5010F-3 12v 5000mah 10 cell NIMH C 2x5 Pack. It has a capacity of 5000mAh and a discharge rate of 15 amps. The price is $65. Why would that pack be best for the NexStar?

It's good to know that the two sites have batteries for about the same price.

Mike

#41 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

I think they're the same pack. Only*** is just one of their distrubutors.

There are two packs with the same capacity but the other has a higher discharge rate. This is useful on RC toys with brushless motors. Since the max current on the SE mount is around 0.5A then the lower rate pack is more than adequate. If you're going to run dew heaters then the 10Ah pack might be better. For the scope only, the 5Ah pack will work OK. The pack capacity is just a matter of how long you want to operate before recharging.

#42 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

You will need a smart charger. This one is the same as the Only*** unit.

http://www.maxxpacks...products_id=224

When choosing a connector type, the Anderson Powerpole is a good choice. The connectors are genderless with enclosed contacts. Any end connection will plug into another providing the polarity, red/black or */- is observed. The current rating is also more than adequate.

Note: When looking at the two battery websites, there is an amazing amount of simularity. It's probably the same company using the same HTML code for both sites.

#43 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

I think they're the same pack. Only*** is just one of their distrubutors.

There are two packs with the same capacity but the other has a higher discharge rate. This is useful on RC toys with brushless motors. Since the max current on the SE mount is around 0.5A then the lower rate pack is more than adequate. If you're going to run dew heaters then the 10Ah pack might be better. For the scope only, the 5Ah pack will work OK. The pack capacity is just a matter of how long you want to operate before recharging.

I'm not sure if I'll bother with active dew control here at home, where I'll use the power supply for grab-n-go. A dew/light shield is enough to prevent condensation on the corrector of an SCT and the objective lens of an optical finder.  I'll continue to use my Orion Power Supply when I take the NexStar mount to my dark site. I hook up dew strips through a Dew Buster there if I need to. The Orion Power Supply will not be taxed by powering both the mount and a Dew Buster.

I don't mind having to recharge after every observing session.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 04 August 2014 - 07:47 PM.

#44 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

I have a PowerSonic Battery Sitter for charging my PS-1270 F1 12v 7aH batteries.  I connect one of those batteries to power the dew control when I take my 10" Dob to dark sites. Hopefully the Power Sonic can charge whatever portable power supply I purchase for the NexStar.  

I did not want to use a PowerSonic 12v 7aH battery on my NexStar here at home because they are so bulky and heavy.  Not good for grab-n-go.

Here is the Battery Sitter: http://www.power-son...tery_sitter.php

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 04 August 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#45 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

That charger appears to be intended for various forms of lead-acid batteries. It will not work reliably for NiMH cells. You need one that works on the negative delta V principal. That kind of charger will stop when the terminal voltage stops going up and turns downward. This is a characteristic of an adequately charged NiMH cell. There is another type called a pulse charger. It stops at a user set voltage trip value. I've never seen one commercially available. Only a few amateur radio operators like myself have built one.

#46 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

So it looks like I'll need a NiMH/Nicad Peak Charger for 5-10 cells and the Anderson Powerpole.

Mike

#47 philippe44

philippe44

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

If you feel more adventurous, you can do what I did here : http://www.cloudynig...for-nexstar-8se. It will give you builtin 5000-6000 mAh on 11v with 18650 cells and 3000 with 18500 cells. All with internal charger  using the normal jack plug The 18500 have the benefit of not requiring to remove the bottom of the existing compartment. I still have a few PCB that I can send you for free if you want to. I'done and used these modification on the 2 battery type now, and everything works fine.

#48 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

Nope, not happen'. I'm not that adventurous. As I said in the OP, I'm not doing any electrical DIY. I don't want an electrical/mechanical project. I just want a dependable, light-weight, rechargeable battery pack that will fit well on the NexStar mount.

Mike

#49 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:28 AM

Mike

That's the combination I'm using on one of my scopes. Dan has a nearly identical setup.

#50 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

Eddie,

So you use the 12v 5000mah 10 cell NIMH C 2x5 Pack with discharge rate of 15a? It's #5010F-3 at the MaxxPacks.com site. http://www.maxxpacks...roducts_id=2462

They have a 10,000mah capacity pack for $32.50 more.  I don't think I need that for grab-n-go here at home, probably without dew control. At my dark site, I'll continue to use the Orion Power Supply.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics