Photo

Small, Light, Rechargeable Pack for NexStar?

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

Fred, Sonny & Doug,

You might be able to find a small black zip-up bag that will fit over the battery pack and shield the lights from your eyes. You can find bags like this in arts and crafts stores,  maybe hardware stores or camping stores. I did this to cover my BlueTooth gizmo. Just leave it open enough to let the power cord hang out.  But if you attach the battery pack to the mount with Velcro, you'll have to put some Velcro on the bag itself.

Mike

Mike, that idea occurred to me as well. Instead I put three layers of tail light repair tape over the light and that dimmed it considerably. It is still a bit bright, but I turn it away from me anyway. At least now it doesn't light up my field!  ;)

#102 hamdul  Happy Birthday!

hamdul

Viking 1

• Loc: Litchfield NH, USA

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

When is this battery going to need a recharge/ I've got somewhere between 8 and 9 hours of time on the battery and it still shows the green light when I plug it on the charger. I'm getting to like this more and more.

Fred

#103 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:18 AM

Fred, I used one of mine for 3 hours Saturday night and it required a few hours of charging afterward. I did quite a bit of slewing during my time out, so that might have drained it a bit more. 

#104 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:35 AM

Fred, Sonny & Doug,

You might be able to find a small black zip-up bag that will fit over the battery pack and shield the lights from your eyes. You can find bags like this in arts and crafts stores,  maybe hardware stores or camping stores. I did this to cover my BlueTooth gizmo. Just leave it open enough to let the power cord hang out.  But if you attach the battery pack to the mount with Velcro, you'll have to put some Velcro on the bag itself.

Mike

Mike, that idea occurred to me as well. Instead I put three layers of tail light repair tape over the light and that dimmed it considerably. It is still a bit bright, but I turn it away from me anyway. At least now it doesn't light up my field!  ;)

Red tape couldn't work for my FireFly BlueTooth ... that thing has lights of three different colors!  Best to hide the entire gizmo in a bag after I fire it up.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 18 August 2014 - 06:35 AM.

#105 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

Yeah, I will probably end up using a bag anyway. It's fine the way it is at home, but I would be shot if I ever took it to a really dark site!

#106 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

I didn't think the lights on the FireFly were so bright until I took it to a dark site. As soon as I fired it up and checked that it was paired and working OK, I zipped that bag up quick!

Mike

#107 hamdul  Happy Birthday!

hamdul

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

Doug,

I had the scope outlast night and after an hour or so did a "Tour" During that operation I thought that my battery might be running low because of the way the scope was slewing. It would stop at a target and the select an object that was just a tad to the right but the scope would slew left and do almost 360 degrees to get to the new object. It did the same thing for 4 or 5 objects. I thought when packing up this battery needs charging but when I plugged it into the charger the little light was still green.

Fred

#108 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

Fred,

If you have your mount set to "Cordwrap," it is probably doing these ring-around-the-rosy goto's to avoid wrapping accessory or power cords around the mount. I have mine set to Cordwrap on, and it does these round-about goto's. But I don't mind. It's better than having the mount motor strain and pull out cords, especially in the dark when I can't see what's going on until it's too late.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 18 August 2014 - 09:54 AM.

#109 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

Fred,

It's also possible that the charger is giving you false positives.  Maybe you shouldn't trust it. Just recharge the battery after every observing session of several hours, or at least every other session.

I stopped believing my phone charger after my phone went dead.  I just let the thing charge every night.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 18 August 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#110 hamdul  Happy Birthday!

hamdul

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

I agree with everyone, that red light is potent BUT (isn't there always a BUT) as I stated before I mounted mine upside down and it's not a bother.

Fred

Attached Files

#111 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

If the batteries prove to be able to withstand multiple recharge cyces and maintain a useful use time it will be a big win for us. A few months of trials should be all it takes.
Grey

#112 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: In the glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Fred

What did you use to hang the battery that way?   Velcro?  

#113 hamdul  Happy Birthday!

hamdul

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

Sonny,

You got it - Velcro. I thought that Velcro came in different, shall we say, "GRAB STRENGTHS" but when I searched the only thing I found was different strengths for the sticky surface. It works tho..

Fred

#114 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: In the glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

Thanks Fred.

I was just laying mine over the battery compartment but I would rather secure it for when I am on the cement driveway. Hanging it where you did looks like the logical choice for me too. 

The led lights will be hidden.

Regards

Sonny

#115 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

Velcro comes in "industrial strength."  I have my MaxxPacks velcroed to the top of the battery compartment, off to the side so that when slewing toward zenith the OTA won't contact it.  I think I'll try a strip of Velcro along the side of the mount arm like Fred did, only I'll place mine on the opposite side, away from me when I observe.  My battery pack is pretty heavy, but it couldn't hurt to try. 

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 18 August 2014 - 07:20 PM.

#116 hamdul  Happy Birthday!

hamdul

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

Mike,

I could be wrong but my understanding of "Industrial Strength" Velcro is that the sticky side has a glue with more oomph. The hook and loop sides are the same.

Fred

#117 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

I'm not sure. But it doesn't matter as long as it does the job.  You can increase the effective strength of Velcro by merely increasing the area. Use a wide enough strip and it will secure so tightly you'll have trouble pulling it apart.  When Velcro is set up that strongly. the glue behind it better be strong, too.

:grin:

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 18 August 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#118 hamdul  Happy Birthday!

hamdul

Viking 1

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

Mike,

You got that right!!!!!!!

Fred

#119 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: los angeles

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

I just ordered a small battery pack from Amazon for my CPC1100.  As far as mounting it I am thinking about securing it somehow in place of a small counterweight under the t-track I have mounted on the OTA.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics