CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Small, Light, Rechargeable Pack for NexStar?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#126 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Aurora

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:31 AM

$22 for just about anything in this hobby is a great price.  For something essential that you can use month after month, it's something of a minor miracle.

Mike

Isn't that the truth!

#127 Hilbily

Hilbily

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW VA

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

My charger also broke. I took it apart and the wire had come off of the 110 plug inside, a little solder and super glue and good as new for now.

I took the battery case apart and added a 87K resistor to the led, now it's nice and dim.

#128 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:31 PM

I didn't see any obvious loose wires in my charger.  I would have soldered it back if I had. 

The new battery and charger came today.  The new charger works fine.

A good way to dim the light on the battery without doing any surgery is to brush over the light with deep red nail polish or car touchup paint.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 19 December 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#129 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: In the glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:46 AM

Spongebob

I have the XT power model. Yes it is a higher quality build but it has a lower capacity. After a 3-4 hour session it indicates 25 percent used. I recharge it after every use and that normally takes about 30 minutes. The $22 model has more capacity but Im not patient enough for the long charge time and I am too much of a wuss to let these things run on a charger while I am sleeping. So for me quicker charge time was better but with sacrificing some capacity.

Edited by sonny.barile, 24 December 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#130 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Apollo

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:55 AM

Spongebob

I have the XT power model. Yes it is a higher quality build but it has a lower capacity. After a 3-4 hour session it indicates 25 percent used. I recharge it after every use and that normally takes about 30 minutes. The $22 model has more capacity but Im not patient enough for the long charge time and I am too much of a wuss to let these things run on a charger while I am sleeping. So for me quicker charge time was better but with sacrificing some capacity.

Thanks Sonny.barile,   I would've thought that the XT would have had a longer life as compared to the $22 one with 10000 mAh rating vs the Portable DC 12v at 4500 mAh, but when I read the other post you mentioned, now I understand.  Thanks for those pictures, btw.

I currently have to charge my Starizona Porwer Pack II many, many hours so the XT is very similar to it.  If I only go out for a 1-2 hour session, then I don't bother since it'll last through another short session.  (btw, if anyone wants to know, the APPII has lasted overnight for a Messier Marathon when there was slewing all night long on an AtlasEQ-G) 

Thanks for the input.

Bob

Edited by spongebob@55, 24 December 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#131 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

Spongebob

The XT might not be for me.  My typical dark site time is at least 6 hours.

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics