Criterion Dynamax 8

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#151 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

Here's what came with it, except for the paper work. I'll get to the papers separately since there's a lot of interesting originals.

I think the most important thing about the accessories is a huge dose of karma in that I was able to buy this along with the B&L refractor. A few critical parts of the B$L were mingled with the DX8 and it's very doubtful they would have ever found their way back to family if sold to some one else. The seller had a $50 higher offer on the DX8 but sold it to me as a package deal with the overshadowing cost of the B&L, personal pickup, no shipping (so to speak), all ads pulled, and deal done. I found one eyepiece, the huge Porro Erector prism, and entire tail stock of the B&L focuser in the DX8 stuff.

In the lower left corner is what goes to nothing. A 2" U.O. 32mm Erfle beauty in original box with newspaper filling dated 1983.

The Criterion 32mm Plossl is the one I've been missing in my vintage Criterion eyepiece collection. It's spotless.

An old CRICO AR7mm, nice but not great

The Criterion 8.4 to 21 zoom is very nice

A few other nice eyepieces, some Japan, K and ortho, Jaegers, Edmund.

The film canisters are empty plugs perfect for 1.25" holes.

The visual back is the Loooong stem.

There are a variety of adapters and extension tubes. One diagonal has the focal reducer attached. OAG. CP4. T rings and the universals and so on....

Attached Files

• orion61, A6Q6 and terraclarke like this

#152 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:21 PM

Papers.

Original manual on the left, unmarked and square to the binding. Not sure it's ever been completely read, certainly not referenced a lot.

Next page to the right is the combination counterweight/piggy back adapter that came with the scope (top of previous picture).

Next is "Directions for using Criterion Resolving CP4 Achromatic Coated Barlow", single sided sheet. If you want a copy of anything let me know.

On top, angled to the right is a 4 page (two double sided sheets) "Instructions for the Criterion Field Tripod". This tripod is also officially called the Golden Pyramid Tripod and is labeled as such on one of the legs.

Behind it all is an interesting single sided sheet "The RTL Sun/Moon Filter".  This Robert T Little system is a two part filter set up. I only have the special colored filter shown in the center of the preceding picture. I'm missing the full aperture energy rejecter but I can probably get my C8 solar filter to work. The special filter I have is proprietary to Criterion since it is triple treaded and Criterion used proprietary threads - go figure.

On the far right and just under that, is the full original invoice. This is a bit humorous in a sadistic way and bears a closer look.

Attached Files

• orion61 likes this

#153 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:37 PM

The darker paper on the right is the beginning of the invoice, starting with the OTA. The lighter paper in the lower left has two more items; the CP4 and the 32mm Plossl, and in the next column the total.  All of this stuff is here except the dual axis drive corrector.

Now notice the refund check copy on the bottom of the darker page one of the invoice. The original invoice is dated May 1982 and the refund for the drive corrector is Nov. 1982.

The OAG that is listed for refund is mostly still here. It's a little lacking in the illuminated reticle eyepiece area and the remains suggest electrical issues.

That's all I have for this DX8.

Attached Files

• orion61 likes this

#154 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:11 AM

Nice find, Neil!

Mine came in the original trunk, as well, with 2 keys.  And the blue manual, also not perused much judging from the lack of wear.  I also found a few sleeves of 35mm B&W negatives from the original owner, all of wildlife, deer and such.  I want to scan those and check them out one of these days.

I've been picking up Criterion eyepieces all summer, when I'm done with these 12-hour work days in another couple of weeks, I'll post pics in the eyepiece thread.  I still haven't had time to test my optics on the bench.

• orion61 likes this

#155 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:52 AM

That's a pretty one Neil. I love those blue and white colors with the red accent. Very stylish!

• orion61 likes this

#156 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

Beautiful Scope Bro...

For those that don't have a Criterion/B&L Wedge/Tripod, you can use the scope base's top mounting hole and I made a wooden block with a hole drilled in the middle, I then lay the piece across the rear of the wedge and using a longer 1/4 X 20 bolt  (use the lower inline mounting hole) with the wooden block pulling the scope base into the wedge.

The block just has to be long enough to reach side to side of the Wedge.

I saw a Criterion Solar eyepiece (looks like a Barlow so it is pre focus and safe to use) on Ebay but the guy wants too much for it. I had one and they work pretty well.

I wouldn't use it with any other SCT unless it is a 70's C8 or early Meade with a METAL secondary housing to keep it from melting it!!!

#157 Gil V

Gil V

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:50 PM

I'd love to have that long visual back if you'd be willing to part with it.

#158 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:27 AM

Gil, what is the importance of the long visual back over the regular ones?

Is it to help with Mirror/corrector spacing and under correction? or just for different accessories?

#159 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

Gil, that long visual back is the only one that came with it. 

#160 Gil V

Gil V

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

I can spare a short (standard) one. My ginormous head keeps hitting the focus knob when I use the standard visual back!

#161 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

I'll stay with the original equipment and invoice.

This one did come with a tele-extender on the visual back. I unscrewed it and set about comparing the threads to other various extension tubes. As I suspected, nothing fit, proprietary threads. All the Celestron tubes were quite a bit smaller diameter threads. It should be easy to have another extension tube rethreaded at a shop.  Considering the issue, my only other thought would be a lobotomy with corresponding cranial reduction. No offense, I was just trying to make the idea of threading an extension tube look real good.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics