CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Criterion Dynamax 8

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#176 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:29 PM

The objective in the finder and new cross hairs installed.

- Dave 

Attached File  REPAIREDFINDER.JPG   55.97KB   8 downloads

#177 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:35 PM

Finally the back of the scope. I loosen the four screws on the back flange of the eyepiece mount to adjust the tip and tilt of the primary mirror and baffle tube assembly to place the laser on the center of the paper mask.

- Dave 

Attached File  BACKOFSCOPE.JPG   59.48KB   8 downloads

Edited by DAVIDG, 20 April 2015 - 07:57 PM.

• Geo31 and Bomber Bob like this

#178 torq460

torq460

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:24 PM

George, Gil, Dave, Chuck, Duane - 

Thanks to each of you!  The explanations and photo's are super helpful.

Dave:  mine too seems to have that film on the inside of the corrector.  Any idea where it comes from?  When cleaning, are there coatings I need to be concerned with?

Mine did have the rubber o-ring properly installed, and it kept the main mirror from sliding off the baffle tube (for which I am enormously grateful).  

When reinstalling the baffle tube and mirror, should I assemble the baffle tube, with the mirror and cell together then somehow get  them into the main tube? That's how I got them out, but if that is the sequence, how does one connect the focusing mechanism, with the mirror in place?    

I'm thinking I will need to install them one at a time, starting with the baffle tube, then the cell and focuser, then installing the mirror onto the cell, and lastly the rubber o ring.  This is the only way I can think of to properly connect the focusing mechanism.  Does this sound right to you?

What do you recommend as lubricant between the mirror cell and baffle tube?

Thanks again!

Marty (aka torq460)

#179 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:39 PM

The film on the inside surface of corrector is from out gassing from the paint and the tube.  Give the corrector a bath in warm water with dish soap and dry it with clean cotton towel and it will be perfect. As a chemist and someone who has been making optics for 30 years now, you don't have use all kinds of cleaning solutions and alcohols to clean the surface. That is how people wreck optical surfaces.  A little soap and warm water  work very well and are safe for optical coatings. 

- Dave 

#180 Gil V

Gil V

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:18 AM

Build the whole primary mirror and slide assembly. Once you slide that back onto the baffle, it is a simple task to rotate the assembly until you find the focus screw receptacle.

#181 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:58 PM

"George pointed out, it was worth what I paid, for the eyepieces, accessories, and tripod alone. If I had a tile countertop I could part it out and double my money." I just found this thread and all I can say is Chuck you are just plain mean! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   Mike

• Bomber Bob likes this

#182 orion61

orion61

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:44 PM

That was a great job, Many people do not realize how good some of the optics can be in many of those old Dynas. I found out over 20 years ago. I cant tell you how many times I have been ridiculed in support of these "mis-understood" scopes. They are still my favorite Mechanical fork mount. The version of DX-8 you have there (Light/Dark grey) are the ones with better optics in my experience. Gil V is my Brother in arms in support for these,  So beautiful in their simplicity.

Thanks for adding to this post on these ubiquitous closet dwellers ..

Duane

Edited by orion61, 22 April 2015 - 01:45 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics