• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 zsb04

zsb04

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

i have seen these on opt and occasionally for sale on here. I am wondering if anyone has orderedreceived one fairly recently? are they still in business? i am particularly interested in the pdhq 12.5, that is the largest that will likely fit in my car, although i have heard stories of people ordering and waiting quite awhile to receive the scope, although quality seems to be very nice not sure about the wait

#2 Deep13

Deep13

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

Quality is good, if somewhat basic, mechanically. The wait is a *BLEEP* shoot. You may get it in month. You may wait a year.

#3 Deep13

Deep13

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

craps = dice. I can't believe the electro nanny "bleeps" it.

#4 aatt

aatt

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

I bought the 15" F/5 almost two years ago. Optically it is very good. Star test is almost identical on ether side of focus.Mechanically it is functional, but it needs some work to smooth out. I have mentioned before on CN that I can fit it into a Honda Accord-very carefully and no passengers. The 12 should be easier. Many folks have had issues with wait times and the occasional lack of quality control on the mechanical parts. My experience was fine and the scope was functional out of the box. One or two minor issues with the scope. I am pretty happy with my purchase and the scope gives up great views. For the money they are a very good value. Go used or through OPT unless they have the mirror you want in stock.

#5 Deep13

Deep13

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

^^^ and if Discovery says they have the mirror or completed scope in stock, don't believe them. They lied to me about that in 2002. 12 years ago, but I still remember.

#6 zsb04

zsb04

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

^^^ and if Discovery says they have the mirror or completed scope in stock, don't believe them. They lied to me about that in 2002. 12 years ago, but I still remember.

that is pretty low, i wonder why opt even allows them on there site if this sort of thing happens all the time.

#7 aatt

aatt

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

that is pretty low, i wonder why opt even allows them on there site if this sort of thing happens all the time.

They really seem to be in the realm of schizophrenia business-wise. I had my scope within a month of ordering and I know a guy in my "astroclub" who has purchased 3 scopes from them-all great scopes and no real problems.I keep hearing these stories though that are hard to reconcile with my and others experiences.Optically they are very good but I have heard two accounts of "dog mirrors". Can't say how often that happens. I know I was a little leery of dealing with them, but it worked out great.

#8 zsb04

zsb04

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:38 PM

i would love to get the 12.5 but not sure about the wait time, i will be moving sometime mid december or early janurary back to phoenix and wouldn't want to miss out

#9 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

Maybe because it doesn't happen "all the time."

#10 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:56 AM

craps = dice. I can't believe the electro nanny "bleeps" it.

No it's spell check.  The correct spelling is kuhrap.  

• havasman likes this

#11 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

Why bother with Discovery when their are so many horror stories about delivery times, lack of communication etc?, lots of other options out there, JMTCW,DA.

#12 Galicapernistein

Galicapernistein

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Detroit Michigan

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

I bought my 15" Discovery truss dob used, so I don't know what it's like to deal with them, but as far as the  quality of the optics go, I have no complaints whatsoever.

#13 Deep13

Deep13

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

They really seem to be in the realm of schizophrenia business-wise. I had my scope within a month of ordering and I know a guy in my "astroclub" who has purchased 3 scopes from them-all great scopes and no real problems.I keep hearing these stories though that are hard to reconcile with my and others experiences.Optically they are very good but I have heard two accounts of "dog mirrors". Can't say how often that happens. I know I was a little leery of dealing with them, but it worked out great.

Well, the last thing I bought from them was a 12.5 Dob on sale in 2005. I came very quickly. Since then, I have no idea how they are. In 2002, I ordered a mirror they said they had in stock. When I called a few weeks later, they said it was still at the coating facility. Only reporting when I experienced.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics