Istar 8" F/6

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

#101 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

DeLorme I know how you feel. You know all too well how this always plays out. I was promised my lens in about 5 months but received it well into the 8th month. Wasn't fun squirming but man o' man am I glad I waited. Sure I had 50% down but still I'm more than just awfully glad I stayed the course!! ;)  Mike

#102 Mel M

Mel M

Mariner 2

• Loc: southern Oregon

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:50 PM

What is your budget? Did you need to also buy a mount?

#103 daniel_h

daniel_h

Vanguard

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

zerochromat!

#104 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:16 AM

To me it's real simple.  You don't call when the deadline approaches, don't call when it passes, just tells me your taking me for granted.

I put down $350 {which I think would tell them I was serious}and waited. 

After reading reviews on both the CGE and C14" I bought a used CGE and C14". 

There wasn't another alternative for a big refractor without another long wait.

I thought seriously about the Zerochromat but they don't know how to market their product. 

They need to convenience me of the quality of their scope by giving it to qualified people who can evaluate their scope

on the night sky. Until they do I'm not going to buy. 

Just irritated that I waited so long for nothing.   Time to move on.   De Lorme

#105 RGM

RGM

Viking 1

• Loc: Burks Falls, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:29 AM

As others have said, it is too bad it did not work out for you.  It is intereseting that you went in completely the opposite direction with your final purchase.  The C14 has one of the narrowest FOVs and the highest magnification with 40mm EPs that we can buy.  Maybe some day you will revisit the Istar to compliment your C14.  They would make quite the observing pair.

#106 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

Yes Bob that is a real turn around.   I needed aperture to get me where I was going.  With Istar I had waited long enough. D&G would be even longer.

I didn't want to stand and so the CGE with the C14" would allow me to sit.   Nothing is perfect and I don't want several mediocre telescopes. 

This will bring in galaxies and globulars very well from my back yard.  De Lorme 

#107 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:29 AM

De

I'm sorry to see you cancel your order....I did the same a few years ago with a dream refractor...wish I had not cancelled it now. Custom items never have a firm delivery date. I learned long ago to order and forget.
Observing with an SCT, especially a fork mounted, is very ergonomic. I had a Meade 7" LX200, easy to sit behind it, view thru the RACI finder, and make my sketches.

I've considered a C11 as an alternative to a large refractor. I'm too much of a refractor nut to do it.

#108 fishhuntmike

fishhuntmike

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:51 AM

Sorry you had to cancel the order. I was really looking forward of your impressions with the Istar. I have a 6" f15 Istar lens that is waiting for a little of my time with the help of some plywood. The lens in its perfectly machined lens cell is a beautiful sight to behold. Just need to get off my butt and put it together.

A used C14 will get you some great deep sky views for the money. I bought one about 20 years ago and still have it. Just can't part with it.

A large rich field telescope is a new area of interest for me. Hence my interest in this thread.

Let us know what your thoughts of the C14 are.

#109 aa6ww

aa6ww

Apollo

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:05 PM

Congratulations on the Big C14. I've had mine for about 14 years. It’s an excellent scope optically and has never ever needed collimation. It definitely brings deep space to even a suburban back yard and when the seeing conditions are very good, it’s an excellent planetary telescope also. The big aperture lets you see plenty of colors on Jupiter you just can’t see with smaller apertures. Blues, Rust colors, cream colors, are all outstanding in the Big C14. Even under dark skies, the Ring Nebula will show a rust glow.

I use a piggy back scope on mine, 80mm or 102mm fast scopes, as finder scopes. They allow you to see the wider objects you can't see fully with the long FL of the C14, plus it helps identifying objects easier before  you use the main scope.

A Laser pointer and Telrad compliment the scope also, especially when pointing higher in the sky if you star hop.

I always feel like I'm using a big cannon on a battle ship the way the scope allows you to maneuver it with those built in rear handles. Mine rides on my G11, so it’s very stable.

On excellent nights of seeing, you can get over 400x on Uranus and see a beautiful blue ball with surrounding moons. Neptune is the same, just smaller. Galaxies show dust lanes in the big scope also. 200x with the Sombrero Galaxy under dark skies gives you a picturesque view of the galaxy showing the dark dust lane.

Objects like the Iris Nebula, show that rich blue nebulosity that’s very hard to see in smaller scopes unless you’re under dark skies. Even the running man, flame nebula and horse head are visible in the green zone with the C14.

The spiral shape of the whirlpool galaxies is very obvious also, as are the dark eyes of the owl nebula. Planetary nebulas take on magnification very nice also, and really hold their brilliance even as magnification increases. The Eskimo Nebula, the Cat’s-eye, the Ghost of Jupiter, all can take 200x without losing details. I keep a 20mm Nagler just for my C14, just so I can be impressed every time I look at M13. It completely fills the field of view unlike any photos you’ve ever seen.

Naturally, the list goes on and on, but  you should be very happy with the scope
If you still have your Celestron C6R, that scope and the C14 really complement each other.
Again, congratulations on a big impressive scope.

...Ralph

#110 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:55 PM

There is no Istar bashing of their telescopes but how they handle me.

No phone call as the 4 week approached. No phone call after 6 weeks.

If you want me to do business with you than you have to notify me and explain why your going to be late.

If a roofer came to my house and took $350 of my money as a deposit and told me they would complete the work
in 4-6 weeks and after that allotted time had passed with a no show I would have done the exact same thing.

Whether I buy one or 3 it's my business. What does that have to do with Istar?

I broke no agreement with Istar, they broke it with me. I've seen others here on this forum who have
placed orders with them and cancelled for the exact same reason.

If you accept bad service there is only one person to blame and that is you.

They tied up $350 for 6 weeks without even an explanation. Ya, I'm still irritated.

High Point Scientific did the right thing and refunded me my money right away.
Thank You Dave! I will be back to buy something else from you. De Lorme

#111 dr.who

dr.who

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

Thread is back with edits. There is good information here but I am going to keep it locked since it's run its course.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics