• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

That's it. I came to my summer house with my new binoculars, the 66ED and my eyepiece case for the 8" I keep here, just to discover that the electrical company has put a monster street light just in the corner. It is a highway goliath for a small gravel street. It doesn't make any sence. Probably the new neighbors are afraid of the dark and they have friends in the company.
That's it. It was a fairly dark site since I bought that house 12 years ago, that sparked my interest in stargazing. Now it is an insanely lit corner with the eye of Sharuman that kills starlight and dark adaptation. I'm very disappointed. Nothing else can be done than sharing my sentiment with you.

#2 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

sorry.... maybe the bulb will burn out.

#3 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

...and your story makes me fear even more waking up to find a gas frack'ing pad being constructed across the road.

#4 darknesss

darknesss

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

sorry.... maybe the bulb will burn out.

Put a "poorly designed" lightning rod near the light pole before a thunderstorm, remove the rod after the thunderstorm.

#5 barasits

barasits

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

That's it. I came to my summer house with my new binoculars, the 66ED and my eyepiece case for the 8" I keep here, just to discover that the electrical company has put a monster street light just in the corner. It is a highway goliath for a small gravel street. It doesn't make any sence. Probably the new neighbors are afraid of the dark and they have friends in the company.
That's it. It was a fairly dark site since I bought that house 12 years ago, that sparked my interest in stargazing. Now it is an insanely lit corner with the eye of Sharuman that kills starlight and dark adaptation. I'm very disappointed. Nothing else can be done than sharing my sentiment with you.

Far be it from me to question your diagnosis of the situation, but your prognosis, "nothing else can be done," sounds like the renowned Greek fatalism.  I place my trust in Greek resilience and ingenuity!  Your signature line holds the key.

Geoff

#6 richard7

richard7

Not Quite

• Moderators
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:22 PM

Konstantinos.

Have you tried to contact the company?agency that had the light installed? Quite often, after being told that is has created a problem they may at least install a shield keep most of the light away from your viewing area.

You may have to keep after them but there's always a chance it'll work so keep on trying.

#7 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

I won't break any law or make a war against the neighbors. There's something that can be done and that is to move to a darker site. 

Just once the light was out by itself and I had a nice session. Now it is on for three nights in a row (but so is the moon). 

I'm not sure about fatalism. We like to think that it is of Asian origin. Maybe I can learn what kept that light off that night. 

#8 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

Perhaps if you wrote a nice, polite letter outlining the situation, placed it in a little envelope and hand-delivered it to the appropriate person at the power company, the situation might be resolved amicably.

Edited by amicus sidera, 06 August 2014 - 05:30 PM.

#9 seawolfe

seawolfe

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:23 AM

Can you make some kind of light shield?  I have a situation where there are several street lights, a one-way street facing where I observe at, so there are several people know to just park their cars and leave their lights on (sometimes even the extra bright ones) for several minutes.  There's also several nieghbors that leave their back porch lights on.  In combat with these problems, I've asked them politely to turn off their lights or just residily, put up a light blocking tarp as a lean-to to block the light.  If I owned the land I observe on, a much more permanent solution would be made.  But in light of what I have to work with, it's either the light blocking lean-to, a blanket over my head or a hoodie to help block the light.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics