• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

I have had this avg and malware freeware on my computer for over a year now. here recently its been sending me a message to update. on the malware I would click on a update now sign and nothing happened. on the avg virus freeware I started updating and stated in the middle of the update that could not be completed try again later so I did and the same thing, with the update not completed I could not get online so I deleted both then I was able to get back on line. what do you people use to secure and protect your computer. you can go to Walmart and purchase software for $40-60 but they only last a year then you have to reorder, what a rip-off!!!! any other way the secure the computer. thanks, donnie

#2 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

• Loc: Brooker, FL

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

I've been trying this kind of software for years. I too had issues with AVG and Panda (both Paid).

I now use:

- Avast! (Freeware)
- ZoneAlarm (Freeware)
- MalwareBytes Anti-malware (Freeware)
- CCleaner (Freeware)
- System Mechanic v14 (~$30 at Walmart) This is an excellent app for system maintenance. I've used it since V1.1
- Windows Defender
- Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

#3 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

Sure.

Ditch Windows and its headaches with "maintenance" software.

That's free. There is This one that looks a lot closer to Windows, also free. There are hundreds of different distributions, but any Debian based one is easy to update (apt-get is awesome).

Finally, the ultimate solution to Windows problems. Better hardware, better software, and can still run Windows in a pinch (useful for things like updating firmware on your mount when the vendor hasn't quite gotten past the "everyone runs windows" mindset).

Back to being serious, the best security you can use for Windows is to run FireFox or Chrome as a browser instead of IE, disable javascript and flash (flash block and the like for add-ons), and have a hardware firewall (even it it is just a wireless or wired router). After that, occasional scans by the usual suspects are all that's required to be mostly safe. These days, most exploits are trojans, not viruses, and trojans get in by user stupidity most of the time; that poorly worded email promising you riches is going to be problematic if you click it... that video that says it needs a new codec to play will probably "pwn" your computer.

It's a lot harder to "pwn" a windows box these days than it was a decade ago, but it still happens due to bonehead decisions MS has made over the years. Linux or OSX are far safer, but not immune. The number one reason any computer gets hacked/pwned is the behavior of the user.

#4 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

I use the free Microsoft Security Essentials, Spyware Blaster and Spybot Search & Destroy.

#5 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:04 AM

I also have run the free Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows machines for many years with no problems, and never had any viruses or malware.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

Here's the short and sweet.

If you've got Windows 7 or below, get Microsoft Security Essentials.

If you have Windows 8, anti-virus protection is built-in.

Either is good enough and either will spare you paying for something like McAfee or Norton that cause nothing but trouble.

;)

#7 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

thanks everyone for your help, donnie

#8 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

I also have run the free Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows machines for many years with no problems, and never had any viruses or malware.

I've been useing MSE for over 6 months now and it has never found any threats (during scans or real time) for me either. Makes me a little nervous about how effective it is. My old virus scanners (AVG and Avast) found things occasionally. Also not too happy with not being able to control when it goes out for updates.

#9 bgi

bgi

Ranger 4

• Loc: Ga

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

Windows security essentials is very basic and falls short in any of the comparative tests you can find online.  It doesn't get the love and attention from Microsoft to keep up with the dedicated AV vendors.  But, it's better than nothing!

Unfortunately, malware is becoming so sophisticated, the fundamental technology underpinning all AV software is falling behind.

Avast is working well for me.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics