•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 277 CL bargain

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceNetworks

SpaceNetworks

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sherman Oaks, California

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:42 AM

I had been looking for a small scope to use at school with my history students (e.g. lessons re. Galileo, Apollo 11) that could be compactly stored in my classroom, so I recently picked up a Craigslist bargain, the Meade 277 shown here. I'm hoping to use it for daytime lunar viewing during classes (a quasi-field trip), and as a spotter since my school overlooks JPL and the Rose Bowl.

The Meade 277 has been discussed previously on CN, so I'll just comment that performance for a small, fast achromat and the built quality are excellent. I recently put the scope through some paces viewing the Moon and Saturn. Views with the included Meade MA 25mm and Meade Ortho 18mm, along with a 2x barlow, were sharp. Saturn looked beautiful in an ES 4.7mm at 64x. Chromatic aberration is negligible.

Here are previous Meade 277 threads that I found:
Meade #277 60/F5 Refractor Kit
Comparing a Meade and a Tasco

Attached Files

#2 SpaceNetworks

SpaceNetworks

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:43 AM

Photo 2 of 3:

Attached Files

#3 SpaceNetworks

SpaceNetworks

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:44 AM

Photo 3 of 3:

Attached Files

#4 desertrefugee

desertrefugee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

Yep, I still have my old 277 and the subject of the old archived thread.  It stays in my camper and comes out on non-observing outings when the moon tends to be fatter.  Those also just so happen to be the times when it performs best!

enjoy it! I have mine...

Edited by desertrefugee, 09 August 2014 - 12:49 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics