What Celestron SCT model was the companies best

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 evan9162

evan9162

Messenger

• Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

Those look like very standard toggle switches.  You should have no problem finding a near identical switch to replace the broken one.

• bob midiri likes this

#27 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

Shouldn't be difficult to find a replacement. A toggle switch of this type should still be a common item...

• bob midiri likes this

#28 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

My 14" Edge HD gave me the best views I have ever experienced.  As it was the first one sold to the public (along with the CGE-PRO), I wonder if they made sure it was perfect before shipping.  I regret not hanging on to it. :(

#29 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Messenger

• Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

I've only owned two Celestrons, an Ultima 8 (pec), like Rod's, and a CPC 11.  The Ultima is by far the better of the two.  It has a similar build quality to that of a Questar I once owned. Its optics, while not perfect (a star test at 1500x shows slight zonal abberations) regularly allow me to split doubles that are 0.6" or more, and elongate even closer ones. The CPC 11 takes for ever to cool down, and it's zonal abberations are significantly worse than the Ultimas.  Celestron, BTW, when they tested the CPC 11 informed me that the optics were "within spec".  

I don't wonder that Orion61 wants an Ultima, and that Rod isn't ready to sell. 

I have an Ultima 8 PEC as well.  Seven years ago I got into a bidding war and won it on Ebay for $745.00.  At the time it was (and still is) a bit much to pay for C8 SCT.  However it turned out to be the best investment I could have ever done.  

I keep hearing about how SCTs cant get above 200X, I routinely obserbe at 184 X (11 mm) , 230 X (8.8 mm) and 303 X (6.7 mm) for planetary.  A couple of times I pushed 406 X (5mm eyepiece stunning MARS view) and saw Saturn at 461 X (explore 8.8 barlowed).   I just purchased an 4mm Orthoscopic eyepiece which will give me 508 X which I franlky don't think it will be that useful in the SCT but it may work out on Saturn which can take pretty good magnification-we shall see.  For low power I use a 40 MM Meade SWA and a 18mm explore scientific 82 degree. 

I hear that SCTs loose collumation - have had to tweek it half a dozen times (I don't travel with this rig much).  The mount is massive but very well suited for visual use.  The weight is the largest issue .  

By the way, thank you Vostok 1 for telling me your experience with the Nexstar 11.  I wanted one of them- will probably hold off buying one now. As for my experience I would call myself an advanced beginner - but still a beginner.

If I were to make critisisms of the Ultima 8 is that it doesn' cover up your mistakes really well.   Collumation, seeing, and most importantly cooldown make for sucessful sessions.   If you ignore one of these factors then you will curse.  Its nice to observe with a piece of equipment that is better than you.  That is with my current skill level there is no way that the scope will hold me back.  

So my vote- the Ultima 8 PEC.

#30 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

Shouldn't be difficult to find a replacement. A toggle switch of this type should still be a common item...

Thanks Evan and Uncle Rod. Dave G thinks he might have a switch for it. Ill be seeing Dave tomorrow, he is an amazing person...

#31 TCW

TCW

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

You are very lucky to have got such a good C14. Not all were winners. Many were actually fraking bow-wows--usually due to optical roughness. ;)

What is the best test for a prospective buy on a early orange C14 when you can't spend at lot of time on it?

In spite of the bad C14 I once looked through I still have a hankering for one (a good one).

Edited by TCW, 27 August 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#32 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

That depends. I'd star test it, but mostly see how it performs on a planet in good seeing...something you can't always order up. ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics