Ieq45 pro

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 mikeyL

mikeyL

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:47 PM

Have looked quickly at tracking logs and PE plot from Monday night session. They look good, and PE plot doesn't seem to have the same severe spikes as the previous one I posted. Tracking has been decent. At this point I have no more time for testing as it is time to start to get ready for trip to NM (lots of other issues to wrangle to get ready and trip is a week away...) I will post any more impressions after that trip which should provide a very rigorous shakedown cruise as far as amount of imaging time is concerned (weather permitting - keep your fingers crossed on that  :ubetcha: ) 

I did take a very short stack (18 mins) of Western Veil under light polluted skies, with only lights and darks. Cropped a bit but I'm pretty happy with it as a proof of concept going forward. Best viewed here if anyone is interested:

http://www.thinairph...2eaa9#h11b2eaa9

Dark skies to all,

ML

• Astronewb likes this

#52 Alfredo Beltran  Happy Birthday!

Alfredo Beltran

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bogota, Colombia

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:41 AM

Does anybody have an update on how the Pro is performing?

regards

Alfredo

#53 mikeyL

mikeyL

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:41 AM

Alfredo,

I am back from  NM, and had some good results with the mount. I was imaging at no longer than ~570mm though (and some imaging at 200mm and 300mm as well) so perhaps not a very daunting test for the mount's tracking. The results from the trip are here:

http://www.thinairph....com/p290657625

2nd click brings up a slightly larger image, or if you prefer the last 5 images posted on my Astrobin site should be the identical shots (but where I think a second click may give you a full resolution view...)

http://www.astrobin.com/users/mlewis/

I have some PHD2 logs I could process, but haven't done that yet. In general terms, I still feel like:

• The Pro version definitely performs better than my non-Pro version of the mount in software connections as the new ASCOM driver seems to be both more capable to handle multiple connections to the mount seamlessly and also more robust. And extra info from driver dialog box is very handy too.
  • Slewing is faster and much quieter
  • Guided tracking for me compared to my previous non-Pro is also better. I think it is better unguided as well, although I never really do that except for characterization purposes. The differences are noticeable but not dramatic. I am still not going to all of a sudden do 5 minute unguided subframes with perfect stars, even with a very careful polar alignment. But it is better than before.
  • The 8407+ firmware has some nice features, one of which seems to be a generally peppier experience when using the hand controller. Button presses are more responsive and you virtually never have to hit the button twice to make it respond. Also the new way they are handling the zero position is nicer, and prevents the constant mount power cycling that used to take place during setup. It also 'remembers' where it was if you power cycle it off and on for any reason (intentionally or accidently) but I haven't really needed to count on that feature much just yet.
  • I have loaded the very latest firmware that promises some additional improvements in guiding/tracking but have had no chance to try it out, being back in CO where the weather and the temperature have both conspired to allow no chances to do any imaging over the last month.

I will plan on posting again regarding how I get on with the new firmware once I have had a chance to try it out.

ML

#54 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Geelong, Australia

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:50 PM

Since the Pro uses the 8407 controller, does it autoguide when PEC is on? My IEQ30 (which uses the 8407 controller) will not autoguide when PEC is played back, which makes it pretty pointless....

cheers

Gary

#55 Alfredo Beltran  Happy Birthday!

Alfredo Beltran

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:49 PM

Thanks for the report Mikey!

It seems that the Pro version certainly is an improvement compared to the previous versions. I'm sure also you'll find that the PE of the Pro should be low, since it uses the same mechanics as the CEM60 which is specified at iOptron's website as +-5 arcesconds peak to peak. It would be interesting what you find.

Regards

Alfredo

#56 Alfredo Beltran  Happy Birthday!

Alfredo Beltran

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:53 PM

Since the Pro uses the 8407 controller, does it autoguide when PEC is on? My IEQ30 (which uses the 8407 controller) will not autoguide when PEC is played back, which makes it pretty pointless....

Hi Gary

The Pro uses the 8407+ hand controller which allows guiding with PEC on. In fact that is also allowed in my mount which is one of the very easy versions of the iEQ45 (8020B) with 8406 hand controller and firmware 1.05.

Have you tried to guide your iEQ30 with PEC on through ASCOM? It could be that only the ST-4 interface is disabled with PEC on, but still capable of receive the autoguiding signal through the serial port.

Regards

Alfredo

#57 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:14 AM

Hi Alfredo,

yep tried both ST4 and Ascom - the mount won't calibrate at all when PEC is turned on. This was a major disappointment to me - if I had known this I would not have bought the mount. As it is, it has taken me 10 months to get it working as it should have out of the box - a lot of wasted time due to a bent ra worm and wrong motor control firmware loaded at the factory!

cheers

Gary

Hi Gary

The Pro uses the 8407+ hand controller which allows guiding with PEC on. In fact that is also allowed in my mount which is one of the very easy versions of the iEQ45 (8020B) with 8406 hand controller and firmware 1.05.

Have you tried to guide your iEQ30 with PEC on through ASCOM? It could be that only the ST-4 interface is disabled with PEC on, but still capable of receive the autoguiding signal through the serial port.

Regards

Alfredo

#58 Alfredo Beltran  Happy Birthday!

Alfredo Beltran

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:39 PM

Well Gary, I think that if PEC is not entabled when guiding, it is pointless to train the PEC.

Regards

Alfredo

#59 mikeyL

mikeyL

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:45 PM

I have also seen info that appears to indicate that PEC can be used WITH guiding with the Pro version of the mount running the latest firmware. I have the latest firmware loaded but have not ever loaded a PEC curve (because as stated above, without guiding capability, then why bother as I NEVER try unguided imaging) but perhaps I can try it out going forward and see if it is possible and if so if the combo of PEC and guiding makes things better. Unfortunately, the weather is just not looking good around here atm for at least the next week or so.

ML

#60 Alfredo Beltran  Happy Birthday!

Alfredo Beltran

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:26 PM

I read that also Mikey, let's see how it comes.

Regards

Alfredo

#61 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:30 PM

Well Gary, I think that if PEC is not entabled when guiding, it is pointless to train the PEC.

Regards

Alfredo

Absolutely - however it would have been nice to train the pec and use it whilst guiding - better guiding at longer focal lengths and / or longer guider integrations..You can do this with pretty much most other mounts...

cheers

Gary

#62 Alfredo Beltran  Happy Birthday!

Alfredo Beltran

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:53 PM

I agree. I can guide with PEC on with my iEQ45 with 8406 HC

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics