CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ieq45 pro

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#101 dmoon2208

dmoon2208

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:22 PM

Anyone have an opinion on whether the standard IEQ45 or the IEQ45 Dual EQ-AZ mount would be a better choice for visual observing? I'm not yet into astrophotography, and the Dual EQ-AZ, just listed on iOptron website, seems like it would handle a heavier load in AZ mode for visual observing. I have a Stellarvue 115 Apo, about 19 pounds with heaviest eyepiece and 28" long.

Have only had 3 nights with it so currently I am neutral, if my gotos were consistently accurate I would be happy.  There is a bug in the firmware which I have been corresponding to the support desk with but have no idea when it will be fixed or if it is just a southern hemisphere problem. When you do the one star alignment and use the hand controller to align to the star to correct for any errors, it does not remember the corrections so you need to manually move the scope. I can’t get it that accurate as you are balancing the scope in one hand and tightening the knobs with the other hand while trying to keep the alignment star in the crosshairs of the eyepiece.  Gotos in the area of the alignment star can be seen in 40mm eyepiece of a 8inch SCT. I have had one evening where it was extremely accurate and the gotos appeared in a 15mm eyepiece. But if I then goto an object in the east and my alignment was on a star in the north I won’t even see the object in the eyepiece. Once I have my object, it does track reasonably well.  I converted it back to EQ mode last night to compare, takes about 15min.

#102 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:25 AM

I would not expect gotos with a one-star alignment to be very accurate with an SCT unless you have taken pains to eliminate cone error with OTA/mount and have locked down the mirror. Do a multiple star alignment. ;)

#103 dmoon2208

dmoon2208

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:29 PM

Unfortunately, once you change the handset to alt-az mode, multistar alignments are no longer available, you are only given two alignment options, "One Star" and "Planet". As I cant see Sigma Octantis and rely on "Polar Interate Align" I was hoping alt-az mode would give me a quick setup option for visual viewing. I have come to the conclusion that "Polar Interate Align" is just as easy.

#104 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:39 AM

Two star should be superior to one star by a large margin.

Edited by rmollise, 21 July 2015 - 08:40 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics