•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Artifacts from AutoStakkert drizzle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jairo

Jairo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Brazil, SP.

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

Hi!

I notice some artifacts that appear near high contrast areas, when I use the drizzling function from AutoStakkert 2.2.0.12. They seem to become strongly pixelated with the slightest sharpening. I don't know if it's a normal feature of the drizzling algorithm, or if I'm doing something wrong. I never got this from RegiStax's drizzle; bad results could be blurry, but never with these artifacts.

I annexed an example, which received a gaussian sharpening level around 50 in the first layer in RegiStax. Could you help me?

Attached Files

#2 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

I've never used AutoStakkert ... however, I do use Registax and other image processing programs that include the Drizzle algorithm and I do use Drizzle on a regular basis. You need a large number of sub-frames and they must be dithered for Drizzle to work correctly. If you don't meet this criteria ... you can end up with "holes" in the final image ... and I believe that is what you're seeing in your image. One solution to this problem is not to aggressively up-sample images . Take a look at this article written by Craig Stark that explains how Drizzle works:

http://www.stark-lab...Drizzle_API.pdf

#3 CharlesW

CharlesW

Vanguard

• Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

You'll get the most help with your question over in the Solar System imaging area. Some of the best in the world live there. 

#4 Jairo

Jairo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Brazil, SP.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:09 PM

Thank you all, I'll ask there.

I agree it's like the "hole in the image" effect, but the image was so poorly tracked that it's guaranteed it got enough dithering.

And I used 1500 frames. Can using too much be a problem too, for drizzling?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics