• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

First Solar Sight with binoviewers, completely blown away, IMAX 3D view

I don't think I've experienced such a view. After trying to locate the sun for a few minutes, (it's tricky, especially at near zenith), using a Nexstar 6SE telescope with Solar Film, I finally framed it in my 31mm Baader Aspheric eyepiece. I switched to a 17.3mm Delos and than a 13mm Nagler. All provided great views, especially the Delos for some reason, it's view seems bigger than the stated 72 degrees. Right before the clouds moved in, I thankfully remembered to try my new Arcturus (generic?) Binoviewers with my only double eyepiece, 13mm T6 Naglers.

RIght before I focused in, the view had already blown me away, when I got the focusing right I felt as if I had just stuck my head into an Imax 3d screen and was watching what seemed like an white object the size of Jupiter at the distance of the Moon or closer. I saw Jupiter because the big current sunspot on the sun reminded me of the red spot on Jupiter. Anyways, it was like seeing something really close and in grand style, I never seen anything like it. I really recommend to anyone to try binoviewers, I can't wait to try out the moon tonight as well. This is spectacular, my interest in the hobby has now been altered, and for good. For the price of a 2nd eyepiece and 150$ binoviewers, you can get an image just like the one I saw, it's amazing, really recommended, wow, wow,.... Wow.

Please do not ever look at the sun without the proper solar filters for your telescope or binoculars. Great stuff wow.... I got the view of the sun as the first clouds were passing through and it still looked great, hopefully the will clear out soon. I tried to stick in a 1.85x barlow that came with the binoviewers and was not capable.....At first I regretted buying a 2nd 13mm eyepiece for binoviewing, but not even a 10mm or 8mm would make a great view for solar or lunar perhaps. I need to get 2 20mm eyepieces as well though, this is fantastic. It really is an great immersive experience.

#2 Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lawng-eye-lind - New York, USA

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

Solar is fantastic with binoviewing.  The detail that both eyes seems to pick up is fantastic.  In Ha, I feel I see surface detail easier in the binoviewer than I do with monovision.  Its not that the detail is missing in mono, but using both eyes makes it easier to pick up and interpret.

Have fun!

Edited by Rinaldo, 03 August 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#3 slack

slack

Messenger

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:12 AM

I suspect that the Delos was more pleasing due to lower magnification, and perhaps black-out issues with the 13mm T6. I've owned almost all the T6 line, in pairs, and while I think the 13mm is the best of the lot, I'm just not a fan -- especially for solar. I found black-outs with the T6 EPs to be more problematic in solar viewing than other options. For example, though many bash the ES 14mm 82-degree, I found that everyone who tried that versus the 13mm T6 in my setup much preferred the ES. Generally, I like lower magnifications for solar, in the 25-40x range (depending on conditions), so I'm usually using longer focal length EPs (though still TV). If your IPD can accommodate the Delos, you might consider auditioning a pair of Denk 14mm instead of the 13mm T6.

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

Very pleased to hear your experience when binoviewing solar.

I had tried solar whilte light for years on and off, and just never enjoyed it that much.   the first time I used binoviewers and a Baader filter on my C5, it was like seeing the sun for the first time.  So much more detail!

And my first Ha telescope was a PST, and I hated hated hated using it in monoview so much that it stayed with me only about two months until I could get a scope that worked well with binoviewers.

Anyway, sounds like your first solar view through binoviewers matched mine, and like me, you may not ever be able to look at the sun again without them.

• NorthWolf likes this

#5 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

Very pleased to hear your experience when binoviewing solar.

I had tried solar whilte light for years on and off, and just never enjoyed it that much.   the first time I used binoviewers and a Baader filter on my C5, it was like seeing the sun for the first time.  So much more detail!

And my first Ha telescope was a PST, and I hated hated hated using it in monoview so much that it stayed with me only about two months until I could get a scope that worked well with binoviewers.

Anyway, sounds like your first solar view through binoviewers matched mine, and like me, you may not ever be able to look at the sun again without them.

Not only with the Sun, but the Moon as well!! Last night, even though huge clouds were passing over, and the transparency and seeing were terrible, I have not seen a view like that of the moon, ever, period. I thought the 7XW and 5XW Pentax views were tops on the moon, but this is better, maybe not color wise, but I still have not seen or experimented anything yet at this point within the binoviewer galaxy. You just cannot compare the view of a single eyepiece to that of 2. I am a convert now. You just see these big objects bigger and more surface detail! And that whole immersive Imax 3d view is just amazing. Now to go back and read what you were saying about biting the bullet from the start and going with the denks, and which eyepieces to get....For now I will stick with these binoviewers, the T2 prism is coming today and the 10mm vb, this will be fun, thx edge!

Edited by NorthWolf, 04 August 2014 - 06:55 PM.

#6 Messyone

Messyone

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Down Under

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

My favourite pair is RKE 28's. See more with the whole disc in the scope than trawling around with 12mm 60º eyepieces.

Matt

#7 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

What is the fov on the RKE 28's? Also, do you use a different power setting on your binos, or a barlow? (Mine came with 2 barlows that don't even attach lol)... Because there is no way you can enjoy the view of the Sun or Moon, or as much to the very least, from such a distance with the 28mm's. Also, the Sun is looking great right now because of these awesome detailed massive sunspots, I want to try and bino with a 7-11mm eyepiece double eyepiece set right now before they disappear!

Edited by NorthWolf, 04 August 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#8 JustaBoy

JustaBoy

Skylab

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

The 28mm RKE is 45°.

#9 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

I think I may prefer the view of a wider ep after seeing what I saw in the 82 fov naglers, not sure if it's actually helping, I will try and get perhaps some siebert 25mm plossls and try them, RKE 28's, or tv 25mm plossls. I have those written down on the next to buy list but so are the 20 mm Pentax XW and ES 20 68mm's. Or maybe I will just lay backa nd enjoy the 13mm for now, I'm even thinking 11m at some point in time. 

When I am looking in the binoviewer, I realize it's best to start and remain directly above the eye sockets, with your face straight towards the inside of the prism. Otherwise you may see doubles, is this correct? I kep seeing doubles at some point and thought how the heck to fix it long and hard... Than I stood up to move and kept looking in at the same time and realized what was happening.. I thought I could not focus, I think this was happening during my first night with the binoviewers...

Also, when I'm looking in, I feel as if I am looking directly under the prism, all the way to my chin perhaps, is this an effect from the wide angle fov eyepieces? If it is, that's an AMAZING feature and sight. I tried the 7mm Pentax XW on it's own yesterday, and it could not show me so much detail and a much darker view because of the clouds too. The double eyepieces I feel were able to make out much more detail even when the clouds were passing.

Edited by NorthWolf, 04 August 2014 - 10:55 PM.

#10 TG

TG

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

Similar experience with the *full* moon. Never seen the lunar ray system with as exquisite detail as when I binoviewed it. The key though is to avoid magnifiying OCAs so the moon can fit in the FOV.

Tanveer.

#11 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:08 PM

It's also great when close to craters near the terminator! :waytogo: I wish I could see more planets that close.

Edited by NorthWolf, 05 August 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#12 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:55 PM

It's also great when close to craters near the terminator! :waytogo: I wish I could see more planets that close.

I agree with both you and TG. I recently upgraded my AP155 to a feathertouch 3.5 inch focuser. Love it, but I lost 35mm in focus. It turns out AP has a shorter rear adaptor for the focuser that now leaves me with 25mm additional in-focus with my my maxbrights, 1.25x GPC and the Baader 8-24 zoom. I was mesmurized with craters and maria along the terminator. Being able to zoom out and see the full disk, then zoom to 170x on individual features was just plain awesome. I spent several hours on the moon and pretty much ignored poor Saturn.

And viewing the ray systems on the full moon is itself a real eye opener. I too have never seen these low-contrast features so well. Stunning after learning to ignore the full moon because it is so bland in mono mode.

It is hard to go back to mono eyepieces after binoviewing. At least for the moon and planets. I took a quick peek at M13 after viewing the moon, and between dazzled eyes, skyglow and reduced brightness, it was underwhelming.

Horses for courses.

• NorthWolf likes this

#13 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

Nice report Wolf, first time I saw the moon in a BV I was blown away. I have the Denk Power Switch, if not I would but a 2nd. 13T6, nice EP.  I have a PST for the sun and a white lite filter for my 90ETX, but never tried a BV in it, so now after reading your post, I'm going out today and try it out!  Have you seen Saturn in BV yet, that is inpressive too.

BTW, for the other power, I suggest a 20mm SWA set or a 25-26 plossl. Meade's are good and so are the Sterlings I head and not to expensive.

• NorthWolf likes this

#14 Messyone

Messyone

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Down Under

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

What is the fov on the RKE 28's? Also, do you use a different power setting on your binos, or a barlow? (Mine came with 2 barlows that don't even attach lol)... Because there is no way you can enjoy the view of the Sun or Moon, or as much to the very least, from such a distance with the 28mm's. Also, the Sun is looking great right now because of these awesome detailed massive sunspots, I want to try and bino with a 7-11mm eyepiece double eyepiece set right now before they disappear!

I'm using my WO's and no OCS with the RKE 28's. One of the advantages of ATMing is I built my 6" f12 refractor with binoviewing in mind and cute the tube so it works without barlows/ocs. The whole disc of the sun fits in nicely, of course when I do want to see more it's simple to add a 2X TV barlow.

A bino with bigger CA is on my wish list!

Matt

#15 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

BTW, for the other power, I suggest a 20mm SWA set or a 25-26 plossl. Meade's are good and so are the Sterlings I head and not to expensive.

Hey Rec, I'm going to ordering a pair of these eyepieces when I come back from a Camping Trip-Vacation.... I have to go easy now as I've blown my budget with all these ep's, by a couple of grand lol...

Anyhow, these are the SWA's I'm thinking of ordering, feel free to chime in and let me know what you think... I like the feel and look of the first one mostly.

In order:

http://agenaastro.co...piece-25mm.html

https://www.astronom...ece_p16949.aspx

http://agenaastro.co...a-eyepiece.html

https://www.astronom...pieces_c55.aspx

http://agenaastro.co...a-eyepiece.html

https://www.astronom...ece_p18696.aspx

Edited by NorthWolf, 07 August 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#16 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

I have one of the ED ep and they are very nice, but may be too fat for your nose, face ect.  I think the best pair woud be the Agena 20mm SWA for $47 ea.

• NorthWolf likes this

#17 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

Good point.

I tried the biniviewers last night on the moon, and again, there is no comparison. The binoviewers beat mono viewing by far in almost every aspect. I will now have to change my future plans to accomodate this way of viewing. I still need to test it on DSO's and other objects.

Edited by NorthWolf, 08 August 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#18 MAURITS

MAURITS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

Very nice to see the sun with a bino ...     :waytogo:

• NorthWolf likes this

#19 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

• Loc: Utah

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

The only way to view the Sun! :cool:

Attached File  13570.jpg   71.55KB   1 downloads

Bill

#20 hardwarezone

hardwarezone

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:54 AM

Just received this pair and examined the exterior.  Wow, it feels heavy.

Will be buying a 5inch mak to play with this.

The coating appears to be blue-blue-purple-purple. Possible that FMC is an exaggeration.

1.85x nosepiece clear aperture is 12mm , fully coated purple.

3x nosepiece clear aperture is 24 or 25mm , FMC

Clear aperture limited to 20mm at the front prism. There is a crescent shape that cuts in on one side, leaving approximately 20mm in the middle.

Resistance on the left is diopter is fine, right does not respond well and is not lubricated.

The fieldstop on the "expanse clone" 20mm is between 24 to 25mm. The body is 33.5mm, too big to go into the BV focuser.

RmKYVrY.jpg

Edited by hardwarezone, 15 August 2014 - 05:00 AM.

#21 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:08 AM

It has 20mm clear aperture instead of the stated 22mm?

#22 hardwarezone

hardwarezone

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:24 AM

That was my conclusion by eyeballing while holding a ruler to it.

iawAbHW.jpg

#23 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

That was my conclusion by eyeballing while holding a ruler to it.

iawAbHW.jpg

If this is common, then of course this means that the unit may have larger apetures than other entry level units, but it appears that the way it was accomplished may have been to simply enlarge the apetures and not use larger prisms, so the light from that part of the field is simply cut off.

I've seen the very edge of some inexpenisve binoviewers with this problem before.

But hey, the attitude of many people is that if they can't see the damage, then it does not matter, and honestly, it is hard to argue with that.

Anyway, the apeture appears to large for the prism being used, and this is in some ways not at all surprising to me.  The body of the unit kind of determines how large the prisms can be, and if you use a small housing bino, you can make the apetures larger than the prisms that fit inside.

Or, it could simply be a defective unit.   Maybe you should contact the seller and see about an exchange.

Edited by Eddgie, 15 August 2014 - 07:44 AM.

#24 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

NorthWolf, you've got me excited. I got a Lunt solar filter yesterday and I'm sitting here right now waiting for the clouds to break for my first light. I just got everything set up outside. Here is a picture of my set up:

Attached Files

• NorthWolf likes this

#25 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:32 PM

Haha that's awesome! please let us know what you think!! You can check out solamonitor.org as well as some other websites to see how many current solar spots are visible, I know they're are some big ones coming in! I tried a few days ago but there was some weird solar wind and terrible seeing/transparency, but you still get nice views.

Edited by NorthWolf, 06 September 2014 - 02:44 PM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics