First Solar Sight with binoviewers, completely blown away, IMAX 3D view

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

Wow you must have an awesome look in H-Alpha there! What is the aperture on that nice refractor?

Edited by NorthWolf, 06 September 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#27 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

You can check out solamonitor.org as well as some other websites to see how many current solar spots are visible, I know they're are some big ones coming in!
I tried a few days ago but there was some weird solar wind and terrible seeing/transparency, but you still get nice views.

Here's the site that I check multiple times a day: SOHO site
The image updates at least four times daily and the updates match exactly what I see in the binoviewer.  Of course, you have to reverse the image left/right and account for rotation, but you can use the "Tilting Sun" program to help you out there.

#28 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

Wow you must have an awesome look in H-Alpha there! What is the aperture on that nice refractor?

The refractor is a TeleVue NP101 with a Lunt LS100FHa on the front with a B1200 blocking filter. I just came in and ....WOW. Even my wife spent some time looking and she never does that. I've got a tall row of trees to my west so my solar observing is over for the day. It's supposed to be clear tomorrow so I'm going back out as soon as I get up and get some coffee. I can't wait. This is awesome.

#29 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

You guys are going to make me go out.... sunspot 2158 looks huge.

Edited by NorthWolf, 06 September 2014 - 03:20 PM.

#30 hardwarezone

hardwarezone

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:35 AM

I had first light on my binoviewers last night on a cloud-obscured Moon. It is the same model as Northwolf's.

Expanse clone 20mm eyepieces used, estimated to be 100x magnification on mak127 1540mm focal length +30%

Daytime testing was fine and high contrast. I'm happy the collimation survived the trip. My eyes instantly adapted to the 2-eyed viewing before I dialed the focus perfectly.

While comparing left and right view I noticed my left diopter ran out of travel,  my right diopter was not responding because the 3 screws on the right focus barrel were not biting on the inner barrel.

I temporarily solved it by taking out the eyepiece and turning the focus to the maximum OUT from the inside. Will need to tune this with a tiny screwdriver.

Focus was good to the edge at this slow focal ratio.

First look at the Moon was the strange comfortable ball feeling. It fit right into the AFOV with another 1/6 to spare, I estimate the True FOV to be about 0.58 degrees wide.

I reminded myself it was not true 3D view and the awe was lessened.

Corpernicus was washed out, crater rays were visible.

Some smaller eye floaters remained.

Focus was limited to a very small range on the telescope's knob.

I couldn't keep my head steady and the crater features were affected by distortion directly caused by the small movements.

Blackouts were common, the new way to view off-axis is moving the entire head , not the eyeball. Adaptation was quick.

I expect more fun times ahead with this binoviewer.

pNelURk.jpg

Edited by hardwarezone, 07 September 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#31 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

Sun in whilte light today is simply amazing.  One of the largest and most detailed Active Regions I have seen in a year.   HUGE sunspot with amazing detail in the penumbra.

Using my SV110, Baader wedge, SC filter, Mark Vs, and Baader zooms.    Spectacular.   I started with HA, but even going off band showed that this was going to be a major wow, and in the binoviewers at 96x it is one of the very best I have seen.

If you've got it, dust off your white light setup and get out there!!!!

• NorthWolf likes this

#32 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

That is correct sir.

#33 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:00 PM

Nice sunspots, especially that lone big one, not as big as the ones in early July, but still humongous, it may be a remnant of that July 7 group. Fantastic line going through I wonder what that is, will check that out.

I managed to snap a few pictures, I'm not a photo freak, I just like to remember what I saw ;).

It was very hard to focus, probably due to the time, around 5:15pm. I tried out the Baader Solar Continuum filter for the first time, it's not bad. It will take some more experiments. I can see some extra details somewhere I'm sure...

Here are 2 horrendous shots I took, I sharpened and played with the contrast and lowered some of the brightness a bit for the green Continuum shot on the right, for the left photograph taken with white light only, I added some Sepia color and sharpened it a bit. Still bad, not sure what was making me not to be able to focus out there.Thank goodness the Canon had a neutral density filter. The Panasonic did not, I would probably need an IR/Cut block filter, but not worth it for that camera as it vignettes big time.

As for the binoviewers, once again they did not disappoint.

Attached Files

Edited by NorthWolf, 08 September 2014 - 10:56 PM.

#34 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:10 AM

Wow, have to get my 90-ETX with the white light filter and BV to check this out!  Thanks for the heads up.

#35 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

Hey guys, those of you have have tried WO binoviewers, or Arcturus, and than have gone on to buy or try Denks or TV Binos, what was your first thought or reactions?

How much of a difference was there in how fast it snapped to focus, sharpness, fov, or any other criteria?

#36 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:53 PM

When I went from my WO bino to the Binotron, I was able to sell off four pairs of eyepieces. Of course, I replaced two of them with pairs of 24mm Pans and 16mm T5 Naglers. The Powerswitch alone was worth the upgrade, but the bigger prisms really make a big difference as well. No more vignetting when I use anything longer than a 20mm eyepiece. The 28mm Edmund Plossls vignetted terribly in the WOs, and not at all in the Binotron.

It's also nice to know that I can collimate the Binotron myself using the included collimation tool, and Russ's excellent instructions.

FWIW, way back when I started binoviewing, I started out with a TV BinoVue, then moved to a Denkmeier FMC when they came out. I got out of binoviewing for awhile, but when I got back into it I went with a WO based on glowing reviews. The reviews were not wrong in that the WOs and other iterations of the WOs are great beginner binoviewers, but I knew what I was missing so I went back to the Denkmeier Binotron. Had I not known what I was missing, I still would have ended up selling the WOs and going with the Binotron, or a used Denkmeier II because I got tired of being tied to the 20mm eyepieces that came with the WO. I don't know about others, but the vignetting in 25mm or longer eyepieces really bothered me.

As Eddgie says, with the low prices on used Denkmeier II's these days, it's almost better to just start with that instead of these low priced Chinese binoviewers.

Oh, and before I make any users of the BinoVue angry, those are fine binoviewers. They have large dielectric prisms, and they are nice and lightweight. The Powerswitch is what makes the Denks so much better, IMO.

#37 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

• Loc: Utah

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

The PS is sure nice, I only use 2 pair , Denk 21's and 25mm Sterlings.

Bill

Attached Files

• Attached File  2810.jpg   64.69KB   0 downloads

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics