ATM dob
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nypsirc

nypsirc

Explorer 1

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

After many months of delays, my first telescope is complete!  I just jumped in aperture from a 4" maksutov cassegrain scope to a 10" and wow... the results are stunning.  The mirror that Steve Dodds refigured for me is fantastic, I've never seen such vivid detail of the Moon or Saturn.  The stars are more colorful and numerous (especially since it's a 10 inch). 

The picture I took with it was taken the day I finished the scope and I put the Telrad on a little too low.  I've fixed it now so it's at a more comfortable viewing height. I plan on finding a low magnification finder for the scope someday soon.  

The whole process of ATM was brand new to me so I took it very slow, but the results were completely worth the effort.

Attached File  WP_001164.jpg   88.51KB   6 downloads

Attached File  V__F947.jpg   121.47KB   3 downloads

Edited by nypsirc, 04 August 2014 - 12:22 AM.

• Pinbout likes this

#2 woodscavenger

woodscavenger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Now you need a little steering knob up toward the front bottom and you will be set.  Looks great!

• nypsirc likes this

#3 Noisykids

Noisykids

Viking 1

• Loc: ma

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

nice job. very compact for a 10". congratulations.

• nypsirc likes this

#4 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

very nice. and you have the focuser on the correct side. :)

• nypsirc likes this

#5 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

Beautiful, clean look.  Thank you for sharing.  It will inspire others to build.

• nypsirc likes this

#6 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

The side for controlling a scope with your left hand.  It's interesting to note that nearly all American-made scopes have the focuser on the other side of the scope, where using the right hand to control the scope is the situation.  I don't know about you, but I'm right handed, and pushing and nudging with my right hand is a lot more precise than doing so with the left hand.

Obviously, of course, there is no right or wrong side to mount the focuser.  But it is interesting that all the scopes made in the orient put the finder on the side that Crispyn did.

Yet nearly all American-made scopes are the opposite.

• Scanning4Comets and nypsirc like this

#7 nypsirc

nypsirc

Explorer 1

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

The side for controlling a scope with your left hand.  It's interesting to note that nearly all American-made scopes have the focuser on the other side of the scope, where using the right hand to control the scope is the situation.  I don't know about you, but I'm right handed, and pushing and nudging with my right hand is a lot more precise than doing so with the left hand.

Obviously, of course, there is no right or wrong side to mount the focuser.  But it is interesting that all the scopes made in the orient put the finder on the side that Crispyn did.

I only did that because I'm right eye dominant and it would have been easier for me to use the Telrad with my right eye, rather than having to use my left eye or squirming around to the other side of the scope to just use the telrad. 

Thanks for your kind words everyone :D it was a fun project!

#8 cadfour

cadfour

Vostok 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Florida

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

Don, I am right handed but I mainly drive my car with my left hand at the 12 o'clock position with my right hand on the gear shift. I see guiding a telescope similar to driving a car. It would actually feel awkward for me to use my right hand to guide.

Nice scope Crispyn.

#9 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hey DP,

Didnt know the there were scopes made in the usa.

Im right eye dom and it feels natural like playing any string instrument with the left hand on the neck.

#10 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

13 American manufacturers at last count.

4 or 5 have retired in the last few years.  The most recent one is Rick Singmaster of Starmaster Telescopes.

#11 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

13 American manufacturers at last count.

4 or 5 have retired in the last few years.  The most recent one is Rick Singmaster of Starmaster Telescopes.

A dying breed.

#12 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

I also like mine on the right hand side because my right hand is more dominant than my left hand, which I cannot turn due to my wrist not being able to turn since birth. My last 4 dobs have had the focusers on the left, so I removed the altitude bearings and re-located them.

BTW, Nice scope Crispyn !!!!  :D

Cheers,

#13 siriusandthepup

siriusandthepup

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

I only did that because I'm right eye dominant and it would have been easier for me to use the Telrad with my right eye, rather than having to use my left eye or squirming around to the other side of the scope to just use the telrad.

+1

Pretty scope! Never sell that one - you will regret it.

#14 nypsirc

nypsirc

Explorer 1

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:54 PM

I also like mine on the right hand side because my right hand is more dominant than my left hand, which I cannot turn due to my wrist not being able to turn since birth. My last 4 dobs have had the focusers on the left, so I removed the altitude bearings and re-located them.

BTW, Nice scope Crispyn !!!!  :D

Cheers,

+1

Pretty scope! Never sell that one - you will regret it.

Thanks guys! :D

I assure you, I put way too much love and care into making it, it would never occur to me to sell it.

#15 Wave Vector

Wave Vector

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

Very nice. :bow:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATM, dob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics