cleaning brushes for optics?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NHRob

NHRob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

What are the best brushes to use for cleaning mirrors and lens surfaces?

I am not sure about the lens pens which are available.  Looking for a good, safe, small brush for removing dust and small objects.

I have a rocket blower which works great.

I was thinking of just getting a few sable brushes from an art supply store.

Which is better ... camel hair? ... sable? ...  does it matter?

Thanks,

Rob

#2 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

I bought a nice brush with a blow bulb attached from Edmund Optics which works very well. ( They advertize it as the same one they use for assembling their optic systems).

Rex

#3 neo

neo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Iasi, Romania

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

I asked my lady for a brand new set of makeup brushes and they work great :)  . I have 5-6 brushes going from as small as a pencil tip up to a the size of a thumb, very soft and clean. Also I got two of them with a foam tip (I guess) which seem to work well for steins, but only gently with some alcohol. A believe the set is from Avon.

#4 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

I bought a nice brush with a blow bulb attached from Edmund Optics which works very well. ( They advertize it as the same one they use for assembling their optic systems).

Rex

http://www.edmundopt...g-brushes/36433

Note: use the arrow buttons on the picture to move to the brush with the squeeze bulb. 

Edited by tomcody, 04 August 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#5 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

I went to the makeup counter at Macy's and asked for the finest brush they had. 

#6 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

Yeah the technical term is "blush brush" just make sure it doesn't have make up on it.  At much higher cost you can get a camel hair brush but functionally it will be no different.    You can get a compact mirror with blush and hopefully a separately packaged blush brush for $3 to $5 at a drug store.  I keep a blush brush for my eyepieces.  GN

#7 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

Just be sure to resist the urge to touch the brush, or run it over your fingers in an attempt to knock debris off of it.  I used to do that all the time, not thinking that oils and sweat from my fingers were accumulating on the brush every time I did that!  :lol:

#8 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

I use sable artists' brushes, softer than camel hair.

Edited by Paul G, 04 August 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#9 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

I have used the brush in a lens pen for many cleaning issues regarding lenses and mirrors, used with the minimum of pressure and resisting the urge to scrub the surface its fine. It can also be washed with a dab of dish soap and clean water.

Any cleaning system can and will cause damage if its not used with common sense,DA.

#10 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

I've got one of these: Wooster Shortcut Brush.  But 95% of the time I just use a Giottos Rocket Blaster air blower bulb.

#11 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

Loew Cornell Nylon Flat Stain Brush.  The nylon is very soft and each bristle has curved tips so as to minimize any possibility of a harsh edge.  Nylon is also excellent because you can blow across it with compressed air which will cause an electrostatic charge on the bristles which will attact dust particles.  Just make sure when charging the brush only handle it by the wood handle so as not to discharge it by grounding it out.    It is shipped with a solution on the bristles which keep it looking nice and straight but that needs to be cleaned off before use  .Make sure to wash the brush first and clean it with dishwashing liquid and then let it dry overnight.

http://www.loew-corn...s-43.php?pid=89

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics