• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Q

Mr Q

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE MA

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

I use this site often to keep up with the several comets observable in telescope, binocular and naked eye each month. I hope it helps those who are comet seekers as well as helping those who woild like to see their first comet. The site updates each month during the first week. This site is very helpful since ALL forcasting is based on actual observations, NOT computerized predictions like other sites.

http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/

I think its a great site/tool - what do you think?

#2 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:32 AM

That site has nice charts and does give a good overview of what is visible. The magnitude estimates are sometimes accurate, for actual observations I usually check COBs or see if there is a thread on this site.  

#3 djeber2

djeber2

Apollo

• Loc: Cloudy Midwest

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

Mr. Q, that is the primary site I use for comet info, besides CN.

#4 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

I use this site often to keep up with the several comets observable in telescope, binocular and naked eye each month. I hope it helps those who are comet seekers as well as helping those who woild like to see their first comet. The site updates each month during the first week. This site is very helpful since ALL forcasting is based on actual observations, NOT computerized predictions like other sites.

I like the format of the information, but sometimes it seems the "ease of viewing" is a bit optimistic.  So I double check magnitude ratings with the COBS site as mentioned.  

http://www.cobs.si/

Between the 2 of them, I think you have a great picture of what's up there.  The good ones go into my SkySafari comets observation list, so I can check whenever I'm out and see if a comet is visible :D

#5 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

I like the format of the information, but sometimes it seems the "ease of viewing" is a bit optimistic.  So I double check magnitude ratings with the COBS site as mentioned.  

http://www.cobs.si/

Between the 2 of them, I think you have a great picture of what's up there.  The good ones go into my SkySafari comets observation list, so I can check whenever I'm out and see if a comet is visible :D

When you say Sky Saffari list, are you having to input them? I have SS4 on my iPhone and all I do is use the search function.

#6 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

http://www.cobs.si/   -  LivingNDixie

A very good idea. When it comes to magnitude predictions, near all the comet sites tend to be well off the mark more often than not.

Perhaps even more important is to consult how others (of experience) are reporting the comet's appearance and particularly the dimensions of its coma. A common mistake by those new to comet observing always make is failing to take into consideration the comet's integrated magnitude vs. its coma size. Just like galaxies, although the magnitude might imply a bright and easy object, if very large in size the object may still be difficult, or even beyond your telescope. In fact, I once followed a comet which I could just make out with my unaided eyes (in 7.0 skies) that at the same time failed to give any indication of its presence in a 12.5-inch reflector! P/Encke and P/d'Arrest are among a handful of comets that are famous for this sort thing under certain encounter situations, often seemingly being near the visual limit of large scopes, yet quite apparent in ordinary binoculars.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs, 06 August 2014 - 08:34 AM.

#7 Mr Q

Mr Q

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE MA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

Was unaware of the COBS site and it does seem helpful except for one (I think) important missing feature that CC has and that's finder charts. But yes, good to have one more site to compare observing info :)

#8 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

When you say Sky Saffari list, are you having to input them? I have SS4 on my iPhone and all I do is use the search function.

I just mean I search and find them in the big list of comets, then add them to a personal Observing list.  That way when I'm out at 3am I can just look at my phone and see the 2-4 comets that might be visible :D

When comets fade too much, I take them back off the list.

#9 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

I have primarily used the aerith.net site.  It has been online for about twenty years.  In fact, I would not have even gotten around to looking for many of the minor comets I have observed if not for that site.  I will check those other sites you mention.  Glen

#10 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

I have primarily used the aerith.net site.

Top site!! I've used this one for 10 years now. Its complements the Skyhound site in that it gives longer range information and complete path charts for each comets apparition so you can see where its going to be in say 6 months time. Also mag charts are not bad either. You see the best prediction and can see how well that matches observations which are periodically added. 

Small problem with Skyhound is the charts are for current month only and don't get updated until 2nd or 3rd of the month. I've been caught out by this 1st of the month "dead zone" once or twice.

If you want to know precisely where a particular comet is then you should use MPC ephemerides  found at http://www.minorplan...merides/Comets/

#11 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

Tonk, thanks for posting--you're my goto person for all things cometary. :)   Hope your dissertation is finishing up successfully so you can get back to contributing regularly here.

Here is another excellent site that I first learned of through Tonk.  :waytogo:

#12 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

Hope your dissertation is finishing up successfully so you can get back to contributing regularly here.

Thanks Michael ... don't I wish ... 6 weeks to deadline so I'll be back this autumn/fall

#13 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Good luck and hang in there.  :waytogo:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics