• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tmwhite

tmwhite

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: colorado springs colorado

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:46 PM

I have a ultima 9.25 circa 1997 fork mount I would like to put a vixen rail on it so I can use it on a avx mount where do I buy the correct rail. thanks  for any advice.

:undecided:

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

Standard CG-5/Vixen bars for the C9.25 are available from a variety of sources. ADM (my favourite), Losmandy, Celestron, Scopestuff, etc. The standard bars often require radius blocks or some other additional mounting hardware to hold the bar away from the surface of the scope. The orange Celestron model doesn't require this extra stuff as it's an extruded design that allows the dovetail part to sit farther away from the tube.

No matter who you buy from I would carefully measure both the distance between the mounting points on the front and rear cells as well as between the mounting point bolts (these should be the standard 1.75" on your scope). These mounting points are the pairs of Phillips head bolts that sit up above the surface of the front and rear cells. Don't remove the bolts that are by themselves and usually sit flush with the surface, these bolts attach the cell to the tube and also usually have nuts on the inside of the ota.

#3 tmwhite

tmwhite

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

thank you for your response I will contact adm and get the  correct vixen mounting hardware .  ..any specific warnings about removing scope from fork mount that you know of? like how to remove ota from fork mount correctly. muchas gracias from tm white' Colorado springs colorado

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

Tim,

Good choice on going with ADM for the bar. Anthony has a nice solid bar and radius blocks with all the correct length mounting bolts. I would give him the distance between the bolts on the front and rear cells in addition to mentioning that you have an Ultima scope. It can't hurt.

No experience with the Ultima fork mounts, but if you had a NexStar GPS scope I could tell you exactly how to de fork it.

It might be useful to start a new thread in the SCT forum asking about de forking an Ultima ... I know some folks have done it. Getting a few tips will likely make life easier ... I know it would have when I did my NexStar years ago.

#5 TennDon

TennDon

Sputnik

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

I don't know if you have seen Uncle Rod's site about De-Forking a CAT but it was very helpful to me in deforking an early '80s C8.

http://uncle-rods.bl...forked.html?m=0

Hope that helps.

Don 

#6 tmwhite

tmwhite

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

thank you thread killer and sputnik I checked uncle rods link very helpful my 9.25 inch has a pier mount in my yard should I use it for the 9.25 and use the avx mount for my c6r and use stellirium for goto  on c6r and use stellirium scope #2 to ghost? 9.25 with push to lumicon digital setting circles will this work ' my avx mount has a 16" pier extension for the c6r it maybe to tall to use with the 9.25 ota I would like to be able to setup both scopes and use at will either one but I don't know if stellarium works with digital setting circles. thank you for your link to uncle rod i think he is spot on with the fork to dovetail conversion. also adm seems top notch. i will modify my pier mount to get proper height for c6r and 9.25sct' its a 1.25 inch dia. allthread , just need a longer rod to get c6r high enough :undecided:  thanks again , tim and clear skies to all

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics