Photo

CCD issues... Cooling, fw, garbled images?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

This probably gets a direct call to SBIG.  Last night everything was setup and I noticed a garbled image when focusing.  I shut everything down and restarted, and the images were fine, but cooling wasn't working.  I could hear the fan slow down when it was supposed to start.  I restarted again and got the cooling to work.  My first sub came in and then i got a FW error.  It didn't know where the fw was.  so I tried the usual stuff, replacing power cables, rebooting, etc...  Nothing.

So this morning, I have it all setup on my dining room table, and cannot reproduce the errors.  I did switch extention cables, but maybe both were bad?  The fan noise leads me to believe it may be a power issue.  Not sure of anything at this point.

Any clues?

#2 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

Sounds like a power issue to me too.  I assume you are using the AC adapter that came with the camera.  If the problem persists, you might want to have an electrician check out your circuit or perhaps it was just the power company.  The grid however should have a much lighter load at night.

#3 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

It sounds like a power issue to me as well. The way the power cord goes into the camera can lead to intermittent contact at times. Be careful about that connection. I suppose it is possible power in the camera is going bad but that seems much less likely to me.

#4 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

I spread the pins on the power connector, but after troubleshooting with SBIG tech, I'm back to looking at it.  After spreading it a third time, I have a test running succesfully for 20m.  Hopefully it will keep going.

#5 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

No luck with the power connector.  The odd thing is it's easier to reproduce in SGP.  I wonder if they do anything different then ccdops.

i think it may take a trip back to get fixed.  Once we figure out what's broken.

#6 anismo

anismo

Apollo

• Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:41 PM

Ouch. Hope you get it resolved. Does it run with CCDOps or do hit the problem regardless? 

#7 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

I had something similar with my ST-10.  It just took a reboot to fix.  

#8 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

This does happen in CCD ops, but I know the sequence of events in SGP that triggers it.  Running another test in SGP .  Then I want to trigger it in ccdops so I can let SBIG know the symptoms.

#9 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

So...  Last nights test ran (in SGP) for 4hours without failure.  It's going to be clear tonight and I'll see if it fails.  I'm thinking it may be a simple contact, but I'm jusdt not sure.  The next step is to send it to SBIG, but I want to make sure they know what's wrong and how to make it fail before they get it. 

They did seem confused with the issue. 

#10 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that it is the power cord itself. The attachment can be wonky because of poor contact with the pin. We already talked about that. But the power cord itself can have problems. And the way it tends to twist when putting it onto the camera could certainly make that worse. It can be either the wires inside the cord itself or where it is soldering onto the connector. I would definitely unscrew the plastic protector around that soldering, and make sure nothing bad is going on there.

(And if I were SBIG, I would definitely want to send you a replacement, just to see if that fixes the problem.)

Edited by Madratter, 06 August 2014 - 08:22 AM.

#11 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

I left my good multimeter at work.  I'm going to test all of the wires as soon as I get home.  The SBIG inverter cable runs through my mount.  That's one of the first things I want to check. 

I still think it's a power issue due to the fan struggling whenever the FW gets changed or any other action the camera takes.  . 

I have already unscrewed the power connector.  That was the first thing SBIG suggested. 

I'm tempted to buy a DC connector.  I need one anyways, and if would at least rule out an issue. 

#12 lawrie

lawrie

Vanguard

• Loc: Okanagan Valley

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that it is the power cord itself. The attachment can be wonky because of poor contact with the pin. We already talked about that. But the power cord itself can have problems. And the way it tends to twist when putting it onto the camera could certainly make that worse. It can be either the wires inside the cord itself or where it is soldering onto the connector. I would definitely unscrew the plastic protector around that soldering, and make sure nothing bad is going on there.

(And if I were SBIG, I would definitely want to send you a replacement, just to see if that fixes the problem.)

You are right, I rememmber this issue when the sbig cameras first came out, it is something to do with the power cord where it attaches to the camera not always making good contact.

#13 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

I cannot reproduce the issue anymore.  That's after spreading the pins aggressively another time. 

If the skies stay clear, I'll test it out.  I was hoping to get some NB, but I really need it to switch filters.  Maybe I'll throw in some very short RGB subs just to give it an excercise. 

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics