Good On Celestron Service

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 exmedia

exmedia

Ranger 4

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:25 AM

I've had an AVX mount for about a year and a half and it stopped working in R.A.  Since it is still under warranty I contacted Celestron tech support.  They paid to have it shipped back to them, replaced the R.A. motor, cleaned and re-greased all the gears, ran a complete suite of tests, and had it back in my hands in 3 weeks.

I have a new Orion Atlas EQ-G mount.  I sent an email to their tech support asking about the version of firmware in the H.C.  They replied that I should try focusing in the daylight and that should clear up my problem.

Like I said, good on Celestron.

Richard

Edited by exmedia, 05 August 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#2 MJB87

MJB87

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

Glad to hear it.  I sent my CGE Pro to them last week.  Got the dreaded No Response 15/17 errors -- something happened to the motor control board -- one week before I was to reach first light.  Hope I get it back in three weeks!!

Marty

#3 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: "lamorinda", CA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

"I've had an AVX mount for about a year and a half and it stopped working in R.A.  Since it is still under warranty I contacted Celestron tech support.  They paid to have it shipped back to them, replaced the R.A. motor, cleaned and re-greased all the gears, ran a complete suite of tests, and had it back in my hands in 3 weeks."

You recieved extra-ordinary service, :salute:.

Celestron's current warranty provision on shipping is in fact worse than  the prior version---

The customer shall be responsible for all costs of transportation and insurance, both to and from the factory of Celestron, and shall be required to prepay such costs. (emphasis added)

Celestron's policy was to pay the shipping both ways only within the first 30 days. There are exceptions made on occassion, but not for a run of the mine failure in the last 25% of the warranty period.  After 30 days the customer paid the shipping to Celestron and Celestron paid the return shipping.

This is far from a trivial change if you have to return a 70 lb. CPC. A CGE Pro Mount might have to go motor freight,

Edited by barbarosa, 06 August 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#4 drwho41963

drwho41963

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

I have the nexstar 8SE about how much would it cost to get the motor repaired, worse case?

#5 philippe44

philippe44

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:00 AM

I have the nexstar 8SE about how much would it cost to get the motor repaired, worse case?

If you are a bit a hobbyist, you can do the repair yourself, it is not an extremely complicated assy ... and it saves time ... At worse you can buy a motor online and replace it. 

#6 phily

phily

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

I emailed Celestron support and was totally ignored.  However, the British agents, David Hinds, were absolutely superb and very patient and managed to sort out my problem with a new handset.  Usual disclaimer - I have no connection with David Hinds at all, I only report as I found. I recommend them to anyone in UK.

Phil

#7 BrianCSmyrna

BrianCSmyrna

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Blue Ridge, GA

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

I just had a CGE Pro mount repaired which was just a little over 1 year into the 2 year warranty.  I paid to ship the mount to them which was quite costly for a 90 pound mount via UPS, but trivial compared the cost of the mount.  It was repaired under warranty for no charge.  It took 5 weeks and they paid to ship it back.  Perhaps the old warranty policy is still in tact.  In my opinion, they should pay shipping both ways for in-warranty repairs.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics