• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 manlymoron

manlymoron

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Hi all,

I live up far in the north in Maine, and there is not much astronomy related going on here. I have decided with a few friends to hold a start party. In theory we do not care about the attedance of the party, we just want whoever is actually interested to show up. However, as like most people we want to spread the word around. 

What success has everyone has using facebook, twitter, forums etc.... for getting people to show up to star parties?

Best,

MM  :)

#2 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

Seems like it would work, if people are somewhat near and interested.

• manlymoron likes this

#3 seawolfe

seawolfe

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:40 AM

How about just spreading the word via friends and local posters?  A bit old fashioned, but it should work just as well. :hmm:

• rnc39560 and manlymoron like this

#4 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

Our club has great success holding a monthly sidewalk astronomy event in an area where many restaurants and art galleries are open late on that specific night. The key, if you want to interest the public, is to promote it in advance (yes social media, posters, etc.) and to bring the telescopes where the people already are.

• manlymoron likes this

#5 Galaxy_Mike

Galaxy_Mike

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

You might call the paper. The town I live in has a weekly paper that seems to get read pretty well, and might like to put it in there. Free content. 

If you put it on several people's fb pages, who have fb friends in this area,  I think it would get around. The more shared, the better, I'd think.

• manlymoron likes this

#6 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

Me and a guy named Gabe (the ONLY one in my city I know of in the hobby) have discussed a sidewalk outreach. Our town is pretty family oriented, and we have a free family movie night at the town green. Its a park and splash pad. We talked about setting a couple scopes down a bit from the movie and letting people see lunar and planetary. Its on the main street with lights. Even though our city did at least make an effort about LP. They have the top of the globes on them darkened, kind of like frosted. It cuts down some, but if you're nearby its still very bright. The last two movies were overcast though. So I watched "Frozen" with the wife and kids....  for the fourth time. Lol! 

#7 seawolfe

seawolfe

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:21 AM

I bet you can sing the songs from that movie now from rout, eh?

• rnc39560 likes this

#8 ItsNotMyAsphalt

ItsNotMyAsphalt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

I had the exact same thought and intent where I live here deep in the South.  Rather than advertise through social media, I tried going old-school on it.  I made up a couple of signs to put in park-like area in my neighborhood that read:

Stargazing Here Tonight!

(Time)

All are welcome.

I've been waiting all summer for a reasonably clear night when the moon was out and things converged last night.  I put out the signs on my way home from work around 5 PM with the signs stating 8 to 10 PM.  I think I had about 25 people stop by (I was hoping for at least 10) representing a pretty good range of ages.  It was a great time and I plan to do it again in the future (maybe once every couple of months or so).  I had also made up a few business cards with my name, email and astrophoto blog address on them to hand out as people visited.

I wish you well!

• Galaxy_Mike and manlymoron like this

#9 manlymoron

manlymoron

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

Thank you guys for the info!!!

I am still deciding what I am going to try...

TY,

MM

#10 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

Great idea, I've always found a more impromptu outreach to be the best.  In my white zone back yard, I can't view due to the LP ( 4 street lights, a football field across the street, and skyscapers to the West), so in town (Denver, CO, not a small city) I usually go to Cherry Creek State Park and use their model airplane field (its level, there's facilities and nobody goes there after dark).  I usually get there before dark to get things set up and aligned.  On many occasions, some of the "pilots" or their families will stick around to get a peek at the moon or Saturn (or whatever is up at the time).  Actually had a young girl (about 7 or 8) who had her first view of the moon with the 4" frac with an ES100 14mm........(I in no way apologize to the parents when the girl asked for a scope as they were leaving).

#11 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

You might check out Meetup.com. See if there is a fair amount of Meetup activity on anything  in your area. If there is a fair amount of local activity, it means lots of folks use Meetup, and it might be worth your while getting a trial (used to be half-price) introduction. 

Our club uses Meetup as our webpage, and we get a fair amount of new folks and inquiries through it. 

Alternatively, you could suggest a star party as a Meetup activity in some existing Meetup group in your locale, such as a nature or outdoor activities group. 

Edited by Doc Willie, 11 August 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#12 omahaastro

omahaastro

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, NE

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

As I've said in the past... send an email to your local TV meteorologist... they're often looking for little side events to tie into their forecast.

I just sent 'my guy at KETV' a message a couple of hours ago, ahead of our 'Second Tuesday' outreach at a local park tonight.

Edited by omahaastro, 12 August 2014 - 02:06 PM.

#13 manlymoron

manlymoron

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

As I've said in the past... send an email to your local TV meteorologist... they're often looking for little side events to tie into their forecast.

I just sent 'my guy at KETV' a message a couple of hours ago, ahead of our 'Second Tuesday' outreach at a local park tonight.

Good idea, will look into it!

• rnc39560 likes this

#14 cwilson

cwilson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Oklahoma

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:38 AM

You might be surprised at how many show up! Years ago we had a small astronomy club here - maybe 8 members. We decided to place an ad in the local paper for a public star party.

We expected only a few people, but had over 50 show up!

#15 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:03 AM

Teeterstock.......we need a Teeterstock!  One of the guys from Queen is an astronomer, so we can have entertainment too....

#16 cwilson

cwilson

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

Teeterstock.......we need a Teeterstock!  One of the guys from Queen is an astronomer, so we can have entertainment too....

You haven't had a real star party till about a dozen people show up dressed like Klingons, and speak "Klingon" to each other the whole time they were there... Now that's entertainment! :lol:

#17 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

What's really kinda freaky, is they really did create a Klingon language....there's a Klingon dictionary out there somewheres...

#18 cwilson

cwilson

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

What's really kinda freaky, is they really did create a Klingon language....there's a Klingon dictionary out there somewheres...

Yup. That's what they told us when they decided to speak English. But they were interested in astronomy and looked through the scopes. We couldn't show them the Klingon home world, but they seemed pleased none the less.

:grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics