• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Viking 1

• Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

Hi all... 

I guess I am hoping to 'cheese out' here and see if anyone feels like giving a step by step process to use Stellarium with an Atlas mount... I have about a dozen planetarium programs and feel that at this point in my learning chain that Stellarium does the best job for me when it comes to an easy to use planetarium... that being said, I just installed the 32 bit Ver 13 on my 64 bit laptop... hopefully they will play nicely with each other, so far so good!... anyway, back to the question...

Along with Stellarium I do have EQMOD and Stellarium Scope (Does that need to be upgraded too?), so I think I have all the required software... and I also have the appropriate ShoeString Astronomy cable... and the Orion GPS unit...

Assuming that my scope is set up and polar aligned... if up to the task, can some one provide a bullet list as to when to plug the mount into the laptop... if the handcontroller should/shouldn't be used... what software to open first.... what steps should be taken to do an alignment (assume for astrophotography) and any other pertinent steps for slewing to objects via Stellarium...

Thank you so much, and as always,

Clear Skies!

Edited by Jeff Struve, 05 August 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

This should answer most of your questions:  http://uncle-rods.bl...stellarium.html

If not, I would be happy to answer them for you here... ;)

#3 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Viking 1

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

Thanx much Uncle Rod!... I went through the link and there is a lot of great basic info... there is another link in that post that I need to go over yet... thinking it may give the details...

I use Maxin DL Pro Suite to do CCD captures... use CCDops and CCDSoft to extract and combine the pis... back to Maxim to convert to jpg... Maxim has a planetarium, but it does not seem as user friendly or cool... I also have Cartes du Ciel which seems difficult, Starry Night, which does not seem to have all of the features and is not as easy to navigate, The Sky, agin difficult and a host of Android planetariums, Sky Safari, Google Sky, Ske Eye, Mobile Observatory, and Distant Suns... Stellarium is still my choice, but after I get my 'stuff' together I'll probably default to Maxim so it can do it all for me...   

#4 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Viking 1

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

Hey Uncle! Uncle (I give!)   :crazy:

So Stellarium is V13... I have the Aug 2013 Stellarium Scope now...

When I open Stellarium, the splash screen does not say V13 as V12.4 did say 12.4. When I minimize Stellarium, it does show V13.... also, it says something about my satllites.jsn not working and using the default... Seems that my satellitie file is up to date tho... When I close and reopen Stellarium, that message does not reappear...

Closing Stellarium and opening Setellarium Scope... it gives me the message that V13 is what I have, however, when it opens Stellarium, I get V12.4... The config shows V13...

Ideas?

#5 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Viking 1

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

Uncle R... go figure... I uninstalled V12.4 and all the previous issues went away.... I had to navigate to the V13 install folder and create a new shortcut as Stellarium disappeared from my programs list, but now on to the next steps... seeing if I can hook up... SC defaults to JNOW... should I use that or J2000?

Thanx!

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

Computers...who can figure 'em? Just use jNow...

#7 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Viking 1

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

Hi again... Betcha my Uncle is still watchin' this post!

Any way... I kinda got things running indoors... I am not using the hand controller, so using the Stellarium products that do the alignment... I hope!

I can slew just fine now... It just likes to stop once in a while because it thinks its below the horizon, so I go back to park then go to that object again...

Now I have a location question... I have my GPS coordinates in Stellarium... I notice there may be also a place for that in Stellariumscope.... And I think there is one in EQMOD... Which do I use? Is there a way that I can use my Orion GPS to auto set my current location and altitude?

Both means are needed... To manually set a location so I can prepare for events such as star parties I plan on attending... And then an auto set up for when I get there for more precision...

Thanx!

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

You must have the same coordinates in EQMOD and Stellarium...as for the Stellariumscope thing? Not sure that will matter, but to be safe, make all agree. ;)

• Jeff Struve likes this

#9 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Viking 1

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

Ok... A bit of busy work, but that is doable.... Do you find that with a proper polar align and multi star alignment in Stellarium that clicking on objects and slewing via Stellarium is as accurate as the hand controlled?

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:03 AM

Do you mean with EQMOD? Yes. The HC does fine. Mine (running the 3.35 firmware) easily puts anything on a DSLR frame or in a 12mm widefield eyepiece from one side of the sky to the other. However, EQMOD lets you use dozens of alignment points if you like. It is like using T-point... ;)

#11 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

Actually no... I meant clicking on an object in Stellarium and then Ctrl1 to slew to the object.... I'm not planning on using the HC at all... I'm plugging directly from the PC to the mount...

Thanx

#12 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

Just doing what you are talking about doesn't affect accuracy at all. Your gotos will be as accurate as with the HC. No better, no worse.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics