Photo

Alternative to the Astro Physics Cleaning Kit?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

Anyone have any suggestions. Got some dirty eyepieces and I am not real crazy about using a lens pen. AP has stopped shipping their cleaning kits due to restrictions on mail and chemicals :(

#2 JustaBoy

JustaBoy

Skylab

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

Uncle Al says it's ok to use Windex, so I do.

http://www.televue.c...03#.U-FRRvldX5w

#3 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

Good for you.

Lens pens are only clean once, leave a powder residue, and the idea of dry cleaning of a lens makes me wince.

Use q-tips and isopropyl alcohol or acetone (make sure there is no plastic or rubber in the top of the eyepiece when using acetone).

My favorite, and most effective, cleaner is ROR (Residual Oil Remover) [ see ror.net ]

see: http://www.televue.c...page.asp?id=103

#4 choran

choran

Vanguard

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

If I recall (just going from memory here, so best check for yourself), AP used to recommend Purosol as part of their cleaning setup, at least for the stubborn areas.  I have tried it and have been very pleased.  When used on a kimwipe, very gently, leaves zero streaks.  It is widely available.  I purchased my last bottle through Amazon.

Edited by choran, 05 August 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#5 Ed Whitney

Ed Whitney

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Coast, Florida

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

The Orion Deluxe 6-Piece Optics Cleaning Kit  #05825 for about $18.95 is my choice. It has in it a cleaning fluid called "Formula MC" which doesn't smell and is non-flammable. I use the fluid with cotton balls and Q-Tips on all my lenses, etc. :)

#6 John Anthony

John Anthony

Viking 1

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

post deleted.

Edited by John Anthony, 06 August 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#7 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

Good for you.

Lens pens are only clean once, leave a powder residue, and the idea of dry cleaning of a lens makes me wince.

Use q-tips and isopropyl alcohol or acetone (make sure there is no plastic or rubber in the top of the eyepiece when using acetone).

My favorite, and most effective, cleaner is ROR (Residual Oil Remover) [ see ror.net ]

see: http://www.televue.c...page.asp?id=103

Depending upon the eyepiece, I would be very cautious and sparing with the use of acetone because it is such a powerful solvent. Safe enough for glass and coatings but ….

The potential issue is excess acetone getting into the edges of the eyepiece and the possibility of it removing the material that is used for edge blackening.

Unless you are certain that edges are not blackened, or that the blackening treatment is not soluble in acetone, best to skip that step.

Incidentally (and perhaps a question for Astro-Physics), can't materials like the AP cleaning kit be shipped via UPS or Fed-Ex?

#8 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

Jeff's caution about acetone should be duly noted.

I had some black mascara on an eyepiece (not mine! LOL) that alcohol didn't touch, and acetone only partially removed.

ROR easily took it off, along with the film created by the deposition of dissolved mascara all over the lens.

In comparison, normal fingerprints and eyelash oils are EASY!

#9 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cloudy East Coast

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

I had some black mascara on an eyepiece (not mine! LOL) that alcohol didn't touch, and acetone only partially removed.

ROR easily took it off, along with the film created by the deposition of dissolved mascara all over the lens.

:waytogo:

ROR is pretty good, I always use ROR+Q-tips followed by a distilled water+Q-tips. Used acetone only once to clean up a tough grease contamination in new TeleXtender.

#10 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

Sounds like ROR would be nice to have around, I'm going to order it today, thanks!

#11 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

Ah Don, why were you wearing Mascara? :lol:

#12 urassner

urassner

Ranger 4

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

Seems a little odd, but I had a Denkmeier eyepiece that had some streaks on it. I tried Zeiss lens cleaning fluid and Pursol and if anything it got worse. So I finally licked the eyelens, gently used my finger to distribute it over the eyelens and cleaned it off with lint free wipes. Worked like a dream. I will still only use it as a last resort.

#13 JustaBoy

JustaBoy

Skylab

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

I think that Roland of AP has said before that this works well?

#14 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

It's particularly effective on the little spots of tree sap that appear reflective. The only caution is to wipe it off with something (I follow it with distilled water) before it has a chance to dry, otherwise it leaves a persistent stain.

#15 starcam

starcam

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

I like ROR, but I ran across this stuff called Invisibe Glass by stoner. It works nicely on the car windows.

No streaks no dyes,soap or foam.  Seems it might work on eyepieces if the say windex is ok, but that seems to leave streaking.

I haven,t used it yet on an eyepiece, just wondered if anybody has?

#16 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:33 AM

Invisible Glass works about the same as Windex on my car.  I think there are better eyepiece cleaners.

#17 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:49 AM

I use Purosol so far so good.  Easily ordered on line.  Greg N

#18 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

I use Purosol so far so good.  Easily ordered on line.  Greg N

Amazon to the rescue again. I should have figured that out on my own ...

#19 Rod Kaufman

Rod Kaufman

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

Works well for me:

http://www.telescope...cleaningkit.cfm

#20 Max Power

Max Power

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: southern new mexico

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

Alcohol 91% and napkins with no printing on them.  Alcohol completely evaporates, other cleaners do not.

Ink contains silica, ground up sand for color, not good.  Pour some liquid in the cap, dab just a little tiny bit

of napkin in it and wipe lens, then wipe dry.  May have to do this 2-3 times on dirty lens.  Get one of those

bulb type blowers with nozzle to blow away any fuzz and loosened debris.

#21 drollere

drollere

Surveyor 1

• Loc: sebastopol, california

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

i am the outlier here. i am 99% sure that the only gunk on my eyepieces is organic, and from my face, so i don't think industrial grade solvent is necessary to get it off. (i don't wear mascara.)

with the eyepiece held vertically, i spritz the eye lens lightly with windex (original formula, no scent), let it sit for 10 seconds (before evaporation starts), then hold the eyepiece horizontal, let the windex drain off, and spritz liberally with distilled water until no windex remains. shake damp, pat dry with a paper towel, then spot dry with a Qtip (which also removes any residue). never a scratch in lens or coating.

i worry that some day an eyepiece will get moisture inside and fog up, but it has never happened yet. (i clean eyepieces about once a year.)

#22 Matt in Virginia

Matt in Virginia

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:18 AM

Gentlemen,

I have very little experience cleaning telescope eyepieces, however, I'm an old hand at cleaning the finest of riflescope objectives and oculars.  I've been selling Schmidt Bender PMIIs for about 15 years and I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.  These scopes often run better than $4K and I've seen more multicoating damage than I care to admit.  A few observations...fwiw.

1..Acetone with a cotton app working from the center out in a pinwheel fashion.  We don't have rubber or plastic anywhere except on the ocular bumper so damage is not a concern.  Eyepieces not so much.

2.  Zeiss lens wipes are a nightmare.  Clean Oakleys and high end multicoating with a course paper product and you will see the life rubbed out of them.  Literally.  

3.  Zeiss spray is little better dependant on how it is removed and dried.

4.  I personally used filtered nitrogen gas, with a regulator, to safely "blow" dust off lenses.  Won't do a thing for eyelash oil which is a biggie, however, it keeps folks from looking under the sink to remove the dust.  When asked the best thing to do to your lenses I tell customers "as little as absolutely possible".  Largely consider you are unlikely to do ANYTHING positive with the Mr. Clean approach.

5.  Lenspen...  WONDERFUL invention for scope companies.  They basically turn into a dry grit lapping arrangement the more they are used.  Great for replacement optics.

I'm really interesting in ROR.  This sounds like what I have been looking for for a long while.  Thank you...

fwiw & imho, 

Regards, Matt.

#23 izar187

izar187

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

It's particularly effective on the little spots of tree sap that appear reflective. The only caution is to wipe it off with something (I follow it with distilled water) before it has a chance to dry, otherwise it leaves a persistent stain.

The reason I always keep some scent free/lotion free tissues at hand.

Though not clean room perfect, this method works remarkably well, particularly out in the field.

Won't scratch, while removing stuck on grit and gunk.

Follow up with breath and a light wipe to remove streaking. 

Edited by izar187, 09 August 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#24 MDB

MDB

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

Here's another vote for ROR.  It's very inexpensive and a little goes a long way.  Unlike some of the other products mentioned ROR is designed specifically for use on high end coated optics.  Another product that goes well with ROR is AccuWipes, these are a scent, dye and lint free tissue made for delicate one time use, I think I payed 2 or 3 dollars for a box of 280 wipes, a box of AccuWipes and a bottle of ROR is inexpencive and will clean a lot of eyepieces.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics