CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ho-tech SCT Collimator?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

The Hotech collimator? It easily produces a collimation good enough for most observing. And, in the winter, I dare say it produces a better collimation than what many people could do on a star. :FarmerRon:

#27 Bob Becker

Bob Becker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:48 AM

I  just purchased the Hotech collimator for use with my 8" Meade LX200GPS.  I have attached a couple of pictures of the results.  I have the Meade microfocuser and a Televue 2" everbright start diagonal installed.  I went through this 2 times now and feel that I am pretty close.   I have the returned dots as close to symmetrical on the collimator as possible. Then when I check the reflector, I see the converged lasers are not centered.  I have tried rotating the diagonal, and inserting the reflector right into the microfocuser, no changes.   I messed with some shims on the secondary and was able to move the lasers on the reflector to the center, but this of course moved the returned dots on the collimator.  When I  adjusted the secondary to re-set the dots on the collimator the converged lasers on the reflector again were not centered.  This is where I am now.

Any Ideas guys??

Attached Files

#28 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted Yesterday, 02:05 PM

Looks good but I do mine without the diagonal. I have found my Zeiss/Baader diagonal is off center within it's self. As a result I leave any diagonal out of the primary optical train, even my Everbrite.

Bruce

#29 BLACKDRAGON

BLACKDRAGON

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: WEST CHESHIRE, UNITED KINGDOM

Posted Yesterday, 02:55 PM

Looks good but I do mine without the diagonal. I have found my Zeiss/Baader diagonal is off center within it's self. As a result I leave any diagonal out of the primary optical train, even my Everbrite.

Bruce

If you collimate without using a diagonal, and get it spot on, then introduce a diagonal isn't there a chance of the star diagonal being slight out and changing the calibration from being spot on to slightly spot on or worse?   I'm only a beginner with using an SCT since April this year although I've been using Newtonians for a fair while now and realise how finicky Newtonians can be by seemly to come out of collimation by just breathing on them, so I don't like doing a collimation and then putting another optical piece inbetween :confused:

#30 GShaffer

GShaffer

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted Yesterday, 04:40 PM

My experience with the Hotech can be described as been there, done that and had enough.......

I bought one, used it maybe 5 times and decided that while it was great for getting a badly misaligned SCT back close to collimated it was no substitute for tweaking a fairly closely aligned SCT up on a star. It followed the route of quite few gadgets over the years and it someone else's high tech toy now. 

I am interested however in trying the metaguide method as it sounds like it is not dependent on seeing at all and will allow you to get it well past any seeing limitations......Not to mention it requires no great investments......

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics