Jump to content


Photo

MegaStar comet issue

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski

    Vostok 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: 28 Apr 2008
  • Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

I just uploaded the latest comet elements for MegaStar from: http://www.minorplan...wareComets.html and am getting an error in trying to run the program. There appears to be a bug with the elements format. The error window keeps popping up showing the message: "Unable to compute coordinates. No convergence"

 

It happens on my Windows XP and Windows 7 computers. I'm running MegaStar version 5.0.14

 

Has anyone encountered this? Any ideas?

 

Thanks



#2 johnpd

johnpd

    Messenger

  • -----
  • Posts: 443
  • Joined: 12 Apr 2008

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:50 AM

Do you have an older file that you can compare to?

 

JohnD



#3 Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski

    Vostok 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: 28 Apr 2008
  • Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

I did check against an older comet.txt file and the older one worked fine. I edited the new comet.txt file by deleting about the last half of the file and it also worked, so I suspect there is a "bad" comet element in there somewhere. I also tried manually adding a comet then I checked the txt file and it looked to be in the correct format. At this point I can probably just edit the file to have it contain only the comets I am interested in observing.



#4 Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski

    Vostok 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: 28 Apr 2008
  • Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

Something is wrong with this element. I deleted this line from comet.txt and the program now seems to work fine.

 

SOHO                          P/2010 H3   2015 09  25.7864    0.046924   0.984813     24.8193     78.3744     23.9242   20.0    5.0    2000 MPC 70361



#5 johnpd

johnpd

    Messenger

  • -----
  • Posts: 443
  • Joined: 12 Apr 2008

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

Something is wrong with this element. I deleted this line from comet.txt and the program now seems to work fine.

 

SOHO                          P/2010 H3   2015 09  25.7864    0.046924   0.984813     24.8193     78.3744     23.9242   20.0    5.0    2000 MPC 70361

That's strange. I looked at it in Hex with a text editor and could not see anything weird unless it was fixed before I downloaded it.

 

JohnD



#6 Retsub

Retsub

    Vostok 1

  • *****
  • Posts: 130
  • Joined: 08 Dec 2006
  • Loc: Houston,Tx.

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:44 PM

Many thanks to Tom and JohnD for getting to the bottom of this problem.  I am not a strong user of Megastar but many of my friends are.  One friend had the same error when doing some comet work and he asked me.  I know for many others that Megastar may be a bit dated but it is still a solid work horse to use. A quick forward about your results and he is now happy as ever.  Thanks.    *BW*








Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics