Photo

Where to put all these 3 finder scopes on this Nexstar 6SE?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

I now have the stock red light finderscope that came with the Nexstar 6SE, a Celestron 9x50 RACI (right angle) finderscope that's built like a brick, not sure if I made an error in getting this one over the lighter 6x30 right angle finderscope. I just did not understand why the 6x30 had to be made so tall, or maybe it just appears much taller than the 9x50 raci's... I also bought a Tele Vue sol searcher and perhaps I should have just gotten a small 30 mm solar film filter for the 9x50 finderscope.

I want to eliminate the leaning down part of looking through a finder scope that is why I really want a right angle finderscope. Now that I have all these, where do they go? I had to remove the dovetail mounting bracket that comes on the 6SE where the stock finderscope goes, and now I realize I need 2 longer screws. Am I going the right way about all this?

Not sure why I got this heavy RACI, I thought it would completely lie down on the ota, instead ot's sticking out alsmost as much as I think the 6x30 raci would...

Anyone know how I should proceed here? Should I just resell all these finders, and go with a 6x30 only? I also have some Velcro I just bought thinking maybe I could attach the televue sol searcher with...not sure where yet though.

Any thoughts guys?

Does anyone have a 6x30 Right-Angle Correct-Image Finder by any chance? Perhaps you can tell me how tall it stands? The Celestron 9x50 is 5 1/4' tall by 7 1/4" long.

20140805_211927_resized.jpg

20140805_214627_resized.jpg

Edited by NorthWolf, 05 August 2014 - 08:50 PM.

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

The Nexstar 6SE is a GOTO scope. How much do you actually use the finder?  

Jon

• NorthWolf likes this

#3 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

I installed a 9x50 RACI finder on my C6.
I've never understood why anyone needs a solar finder. I just look at the shadow of the OTA on the ground and when it's as small as it can get, the scope should be pointed pretty close to the sun. Maybe it's more important with a f/10 SCT. I am not an avid solar observer.
A GLP would be a better alternative to get the scope pointed in the rough direction, then look into the right angle finder to find the target.

Edited by coopman, 05 August 2014 - 09:19 PM.

#4 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Ranger 4

• Loc: Little Red Dot

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Jon

Agreed. 2 finders on the 6SE is IMHO an overkill.

• NorthWolf likes this

#5 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

Jon

Jon

Agreed. 2 finders on the 6SE is IMHO an overkill.

I am not sure I've stopped to think about this much, but now that I do, perhaps the need to sit down while observing is important to me, I like to keep quiet and steady most of the time. While sitting on a chair, I begin by finding the sun if it's in the daytime. This sounds easier than it is though, and a lot of times you're using the finder scope. The stock red finder scope, which is the perfect weight for a finder scope on the grab n go scope setup I began with. So anyhow, because of my border white/red light pollution zone, (but with nice dark southern sky view in the backyard), I like to observe mostly towards the zenith or at least over the 50degree mark. This makes me bend my neck a lot, and since the 3 star alignment is not easily accepted by the computerized mount, I am stuck with 1 or 2 targets and therefore it is not 100% accurate so I am always using the finder scope again.

The red dot finder can get you to your target in lightning speed but cannot get you into your target like a 9x50 can, you would need a really spot on alignment to really depend on it, but again, no right angle, no thanks. Is there no right angle finder scope the size of the red dot finder? That Orion one sticks out like a sore thumb, Is it awkwardly positioned on a Nexstar 6SE? At less than 1 lb, that one makes more sense, maybe... 

That is why I wanted a right angle finder scope, I don't think I have much of a choice right now.

I will also install with Velcro the very light weight, (a few grams) sol searcher, not sure where yet, I need to go out and see where it would best fit.

Edited by NorthWolf, 05 August 2014 - 10:04 PM.

#6 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:57 PM

I installed a 9x50 RACI finder on my C6.
I've never understood why anyone needs a solar finder. I just look at the shadow of the OTA on the ground and when it's as small as it can get, the scope should be pointed pretty close to the sun. Maybe it's more important with a f/10 SCT. I am not an avid solar observer.
A GLP would be a better alternative to get the scope pointed in the rough direction, then look into the right angle finder to find the target.

Sometimes it's not as easy as one may think to find the correct shadow position when viewing the Sun. The telescope is hidden in the shadows already to avoid the sun, and sometimes the scope's shadow is partially mixing with the gates and trees' shadows. I tried that already. As for the GLP's they are not allowed here. It's actually taken me around 5-10 minutes to find the Sun with a 31mm eyepiece, go figure lol. I had to painfully look through the right angle red light finder scope, with the sun in my eye and my neck all weirded out.

Edited by NorthWolf, 05 August 2014 - 10:00 PM.

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

Northwolf:

I agree.. finding the sun is not so easy, particularly with a short, stubby scope like the C-6.  The photo below shows the way I locate the sun. It works surprisingly well.. 

As far as using a finder with your Nexstar 6SE, it seems like with some tuning and effort, the GOTO could point more accurately and you would not need to use a finder.  In any event, finders are good.. a red dot and the 9x50 RACI would be my choice.. They do make finder brackets specifically for SCTs that are low profile but I don't know if one is available for the C-6..

Jon

Attached Files

#8 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

I know but the extra 1.5 lbs weight... I specifically got a case to carry all the accessories and the scope and mount down 2 flights of stairs in one run. Is the extra 1lbs over the 6x30 right angle finder worth it you think?

Also, did someone mention the 9x50 comes with longer screws?, I don't think mine came with any.

#9 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:51 PM

I have custom made a bracket to mount both a red-dot finder and an Orion 9x50 RACI finder on my NexStar 6SE.

K W TONG
C8+CG5 GT, TSA102+HEQ5 PRO, MK67+Voyager, NexStar 6SE, C5+Mizar K, WO ZS80FD+Kenko NES, Megrez 72FD+Kenko KDS, Mini Borg 50, PST.

----

Attached File  C6 twin finders.jpg   84.18KB   2 downloads

#10 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Viking 1

• Loc: In a galaxy far far away...

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

Orion has a dual mounting bracket if you are interested:

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B00D2LEHIU

#11 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

I have a bunch of different finderscopes for all occasions. I also have several telescopes. I put one of these SCT Finderscope Bases on each OTA. I had to replace my red dot finder with one that had the appropriate base but now all my finders (GLP, RACI, RDF, etc.) can be quickly moved from one scope to the next. There is a reason that Celestron didn't give us as many threaded holes in the NexStar SE series OTAs. They don't want us overloading the mount. Now the only problem I have is that each finder needs to be adjusted a tad when moving from one scope to another.

#12 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

Guys thanks for all the info.

I think I will return the 9x50 RACI and order the 6x30, I don't think I have a choice if I want to carry the scope and case in one shot. It's one extra lbs only though, can someone convince me to keep it, how much better is the 9x50 over the 6x30? Does the 6x30 have illumination anyways?  

Someone said to install the 9x50 with the longer screws it came with, but I just don't see them anywhere.

PS> I gave in and ordered the 6x30 with the SCT dovetail base.

Edited by NorthWolf, 06 August 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#13 Chilihead

Chilihead

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

I am terrible at finding the sun when using my solar filter, so bought a 6" square and made a filter for my finder scope. So much easier!

• NorthWolf likes this

#14 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

I am terrible at finding the sun when using my solar filter, so bought a 6" square and made a filter for my finder scope. So much easier!

Yes, I see that as the best solution now too!

#15 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

I wonder if this solar filter will fit on a 6x30 finder scope: http://agenaastro.co...lar-filter.html

* A = Clear aperture of Baader filter film = 30mm / 1.18"
* B = Maximum inside diameter of filter cell = 70mm / 2.75"
* C = Minimum inside diameter of filter cell using supplied thumbscrews = 58mm / 2.28"
* Using the supplied thumbscrews, can be used with OTAs/dewshields with an outer diameter of: 60-68mm (2.36-2.68")
* Using optional 20mm thumbscrews (sold separately), can be used with OTAs/dewshields with an outer diameter of: 40-68mm (1.57-2.68")

Hmmmmm

Edited by NorthWolf, 06 August 2014 - 06:51 PM.

#16 Chilihead

Chilihead

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

With the optional screws it looks like a good bet. 

• NorthWolf likes this

#17 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Overkill IMO but Orion sells a finder base with stalk extenders that will hold TWO finders.  So you could do right angle and straight through.  GN

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics