TheSky

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 abaum

abaum

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

Has anyone tried TheSky for iPad yet? If so, what do you think of it?

Adam

#2 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:37 AM

I like it. I find it easier to distinguish star patterns when you get down to dimmer magnitudes than with SkySafari. That is helpful if you are looking for dimmer objects such as comets. The star display on TheSky iOS is a lot like TheSky 6. One problem it has is if the screen times out or you switch to another app and you had set a particular date/time, TheSky iOS resets the time and position of the display to the current time when you go back to it.

1. You can set the magnitudes of objects you wish to display (stars, double stars, clusters, galaxies, nebulae, comets, asteroids, satellites, etc.).

2. You can set what objects for which you wish to display lablels.

3. Update elements for comets, asteroids, and satellites from the web.

4. Check for Iridium flares.

5. Control your telescope. I have not tried this. I don't like the way this is set up. It combines scopes and mounts instead of defining mounts, the type of mount (Eq or Alt/Az), and then the scope. I don't know how to pick my mount from it as it is a combo Eq/Alt-Az. I think the SkySafari' setup is much better.

6. You can enter your telescope and eyepieces to get a FOV indicator.

7. There are a number of stellar and other databases to choose from.

All in all, I think you will like it. It is a little expensive however, almost to the price of SkySafari Pro.

JohnD

#3 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

I saw the ad for this yesterday. If I didn't have SS4 on my IPhone, I would seriously consider getting this.

#4 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

I have both on my iPad Mini and SSP is still the one that gets used at the telescope. TheSky has two things that prevents me from using it. First the night mode is not useable. The toolbars and menu items are very bright red and the chart and objects are very dim. You can hardly see the symbols for PN in normal mode let alone night mode. The other thing is observing lists/logs don't even exist in theSky. theSky program has in deed come along way since its first release on iOS but it still has a ways to go to compete with SSP.

#5 markc2

markc2

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Austin TX

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:33 AM

I wanted to try this too and find out what the iPad could do with astronomy software.

I wish that once you started the program and put it in night mode it would stay that way, because every time you want to type something in, the beautiful white and bright iPad keyboard pops up and destroys the nice red field. It would be nice if the program took over the whole iPad and turned everything to night mode.

I really like the FOV, when it overlays it on the current night sky, like how you can zoom in with the usual iPad finger motions and it still tracks the sky. This works well for me in conjunction with going into the preferences window and setting your limiting magnitude for your telescope. I like to star hop, and this gives me an excellent idea of what star's to jump to in order to get to my goal. I wish they could tweak this, so that maybe I could draw a line from the first star to my goal and it would put the required FOV's on the screen so I could plan my journey. I realize this might be old fashioned but it's how I learn the sky. 

I would really enjoy a way of taking a "picture" of the area your studying and then put the iPad down and study it like you would a star chart and figure out where your heading when you star hop, and then take it out of that mode put it up to the sky with your line of FOV's and go to it, or leave it like that and use it like an old school star chart.

It's my first night of using the program, so I am pretty sure I missed some features, or overlooked something but that's my first impression's so far. 

What I liked to was that it seemed very universal in what mounts and computers it could work with. Cant wait to try it again. 

But PLEASE make it so when the iPad keyboard pops up it stays red and NOT WHITE AND BRIGHT. That really bothered me.

Mark 

#6 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

Mark, as one of the authors of "the other" astronomy program, I can tell you that making the keyboard red is hard.  We do put a red overlay on the keyboard to redden it, but it is not as good as really using red keyboard elements.  Currently Apple doesn't let you substitute a different keyboard from the standard one.  This will change with iOS 8 where they have removed that restriction.

• Ken Sturrock and markc2 like this

#7 markc2

markc2

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Austin TX

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

Mark, as one of the authors of "the other" astronomy program, I can tell you that making the keyboard red is hard.  We do put a red overlay on the keyboard to redden it, but it is not as good as really using red keyboard elements.  Currently Apple doesn't let you substitute a different keyboard from the standard one.  This will change with iOS 8 where they have removed that restriction.

Hi Bill,

Thank you !!  Apple can be very protective of how it "looks" so thank you for the information. 

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics