Photo

First telescope - NexStar Evolution 9.25" :-)

Celestron beginner cassegrain astrophotography accessories
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Jersey, Channel Islands

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

I just ordered a new Sony Xperia Z2 mobile phone, this has a 20mp camera (when used in manual mode) and does 4k video. My Samsung Galaxy S2 is hanging by a thread so I needed a new phone, I bought the Z2 after reading dozens of reviews and comparisons with other top end phones. I will be buying the Orion Steadypix Pro smartphone mount to hold it on my telescope. Hopefully the pics and 4k videos will be good. (yes I know a CCD will be better, but I am not at that level yet).

The manual settings on the camera are very good, it even has object tracking which might be useful. It's said to be the best camera on any smartphone so I might as well give it a shot at astrophotography! 

http://userguide.son...a-settings.html

HDR might also be useful 

http://www.expertrev...kground-defocus

I bought the phone from Handtec, they were low price, took off the VAT and are giving away an excellent free Sony bluetooth speaker and noise cancelling headphones worth £150. Bargain  :cool:

Edited by JerseyBoy, 25 August 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#27 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

And there it is  :)

I just bought: 'Orion SteadyPix Pro Universal Camera/Smartphone Mount, 1.25"' by Orion
www.amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co...&qid=1408979219

#28 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

Also just paid Astrozap for my Dew Shield and controller, $223 including shipping from USA.

http://www.astrozap....p?idproduct=201

http://www.astrozap....p?idCategory=58

Edited by JerseyBoy, 25 August 2014 - 10:10 AM.

#29 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

Anything else I should get, apart from a financial advisor?  :lol:  :lol:

#30 John Huntley

John Huntley

Viking 1

• Loc: South West England

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:38 PM

Hope you enjoy it :)

• JerseyBoy likes this

#31 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

Anything else I should get, apart from a financial advisor?  :lol:  :lol:

Experience under the stars.

• JerseyBoy likes this

#32 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

Hi Mark,

Hopefully I will be getting plenty of that soon  :)

In fact I am already sitting here going through objects in the Skyportal app!

#33 Dadadee

Dadadee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Near Montreal, Qc, Canada

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

JB,

you will notice that the SkyPortal app changes a bit when you connect it to a Evolution telescope.  Somme additionnal DSO will show on your screen.  Not a lot more.  It is far from being enough.  But it is still enough to keep you busy with the most obvious Messier and NGC objects.

Ben

• JerseyBoy likes this

#34 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

Hi Ben, 

New iPad version is out, new Android version is coming soon, hopefully more in it.

#35 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

It transpires that Celestron filters are only 1.25" so I have added the set of 2" Baader filters and the Baader double polarising filter, adding £220 to my tally.

#36 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

Jerseyboy, I have a few questions about what you've bought ... and a few hopefully gentle comments on some of them.

1) Why you are spending bunches of money on 2" filters when none of your current eyepieces need them?

2) Why you are buying any filters at all right now? I'd personally wait a while until you figure out what you'll need.

Color filters are rarely useful when you are starting off. Color filters enhance very subtle planetary details that take a while for your eyes to be trained to see. They are however fun to try and they do teach you some things. Planetary viewing is done at higher magnifications, where you are not likely to use 2" eyepieces.

The Neob filter is very very subtle in it's visual effect. It's useful on lunar features and while light solar work.  The variable polarizer is useful on very bright (low power) lunar views. It is does however take some fiddling to use effectively. You must rotate one filter with respect to the other to fine tune the amount of polarizing effect ... it's not very easy to rotate one filter when it's on the end of an eyepiece buried in your diagonal. The way most folks get around this is to attach one of the filters to the input side of the diagonal, and then other to the eyepiece. Then you rotate the eyepiece to tune the polarizing effect. You won't be able to easily do this with an SCT 2" diagonal (there's no 2" filter threads on the diagonal itself)  ... but it would work if you had a 1.25" filters and used your 1.25" diagonal.

The OIII effect is not so subtle on very specific objects but you are dealing with already very limited viewing. Planetary and some reflection nebulae are great fun and the OIII certainly allows them to stand out more (no filter enhances (makes brighter) an object or details, it just changes the contrast against the background or other features of the object). The OIII is not a general purpose filter, it's not going to be particularly useful on most emission nebulae and galaxies, or on stellar objects (open or globular clusters). This means it probably won't be something you'll be regularly using, more of a targeted or special occasion type of thing ... but right now might be one of those "special" occasions, there are some nice objects high in our skies right now that will benefit from the OIII filter.

The bottom line though is that none of the filters are likely to show you things that you couldn't see without them, they will just make the views a little bit better ... in some cases a very little bit. With experience though you'll likely find that once your eyes are well trained that with a filter or two you'll be able to pick out details or objects that are on the limit of your visibility.

Your Orion afocal camera mount can handle an eyepiece with a maximum diameter of 45mm, so I don't think the zoom will fit (close though so maybe it will). The included Celestron eyepieces will be just fine.

You are "featuring up" even before you get your first scope. That's a recipe for spending more money than you initially need to. All the things you've bought are good quality, and none are bad purchases but with some experience you may find that you won't want or need some of them. 

• JerseyBoy likes this

#37 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:08 AM

Hi Mark, 

I decided that I would buy the basic things I think I would end up buying. Rather than decide in a few months that I need some filters I bought them now because I have the cash now. I read the below and bought the filters based on that and some other similar information. If I can afford it then I see no reason why I shouldn't invest in the future of this hobby today, prices are only like to rise, I also save money by getting all of the accessories from Grovers shipped in one box, instead of paying the minimum shipping price for each item as I come to realise it would be useful.

I think you are right that the Steadypix won't fit the Baader zoom, unless I make a clamp to fit it. I am good at DIY and making things, a box of meccano would probably do the trick, but for now I still have the Celestron 1.25" kit to get going with. I could also buy a smaller barrelled 1.25" zoom that the bracket will fit. First I will get some practice in. My Baader zoom goes to 8, plus the Barlow would take it to the telescope maximum magnification, so I can use the colour filters in this setup. I can compare 1.25" and 2" setups, with and without filters to see which I feel is better at which magnification range. I like to find things out myself, I guess that is the same for most astronomers ;)

"Orange 46% light transmissionMoon - Greatly enhances features. Jupiter - Improves appearance and detail of Jovian belts. Enhances viewing of festoons and polar regions. Mars - Reduces light from the blue and green areas that darken maria oases and canal markings while lightening the orange-hued desert regions. Also sharpens boundaries of yellow dust clouds. Mercury - Reduces sky brightness to reveal surface features. Saturn - Improves views of bands and highlights blue polar regions. Venus - Reduces sky brightness to improve daytime observations. Comets - Enhances definition of dust tails and heads in larger telescopes. Solar - When using a Celestron Mylar Solar Filter adding this orange filter will yield true color rendition.Light Blue 30% light transmissionMoon - Enhances detail. Jupiter - Enhances boundaries between reddish belts and adjacent bright zones. Useful for viewing the Great Red Spot. Mars - Very useful during the violet clearing. Helpful in studying surface features and polar caps. Mercury - Improves views of dusky surface markings at twilight when the planet is near the horizon. Saturn - Enhances low-contrast features between the belts and zones. Venus - Increases contrast of dark shadings in upper clouds. Comets - Brings out definition in gas tails.Deep yellow filterMoon - Enhances features. Jupiter - Penetrates and darkenss atmospheric currents containing low-hue blue tones. Enhances orange and red features of belts and zones. Useful for polar-region studies. Mars - Reduces light from the blue and green areas that darken maria oases and canal markings while lightening orange-hued desert regions. Also sharpens boundaries of yellow dust clouds. Neptune - Improves detail in larger telescopes (11-inch apertures and larger). Saturn - Penetrates and darkens atmospheric currents containing low-hue blue tones. Enhances orange and red features of belts and zones. Uranus - Improves detail in larger telescopes. Venus - Reveals low-contrast surface features. Comets - Enhances tail definition.PolarizingReduces reflected polarized light in the earth's atmosphere. Moon & planets - Invaluable in reducing irradiation and glare. Binary stars - Helpful in splitting binary stars because it reduces glare and diffraction effects around the brighter star of the pair."

Edited by JerseyBoy, 28 August 2014 - 02:44 AM.

#38 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

It's certainly nice to have that ability to buy like that, I know the dealers would love more customers like that. It's a good point about the shipping charges, but if for example just one filter sits unused you've probably blown any shipping benefits. I've rarely found that I had to have something specific right away, I've usually waited until there were a few things I've wanted or needed (I even kept a list of smaller items that I would eventually order with something else to save on shipping costs).

I spent 20+ years in product marketing and that's exactly how I would sell color filters.

"Enhance, Improve, Increases, Reduce, Penetrates, Brings out", etc. are all nice safe marketing terms. You will notice that nowhere in the descriptions is any information to quantify the amount of the enhancement, or improvement, etc. It could be a .1% improvement and the lawyers will be happy. It also doesn't say that you'll actually see any improvement, just that there is an improvement.

Don't have high expectations and you'll be very happy.

• John Huntley likes this

#39 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

The telescope and accessories are being shipped today/tomorrow so hopefully I will have delivery by the end of the week :)

The Astrozap Flexi-Heat dew shield and controller have arrived, as has the Orion SteadyPix PRO.

#40 RC4U

RC4U

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Dakota

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

today i just recieved my evo 8... last week i got my meade 5000 2" diag..and es nitro purged 24 mm eyepeice this is what i am starting with and have been looking for a 2" barlow or rather focal ect... i charged the batt today at work and now we have rain and 50 degrees and maybe snow fal in next few days then the weather gets better again... talk about the curse eh... will set up in the house tonight to fit all together and then store in shop and wait for weather... good luck to ya and ll that stuff you bought... i hope to not get anything i dont want or need to start but you did have good plan in your thoughts .... jeff

#41 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:17 PM

Hi RC4U, 

Good luck with the weather!  :)

Will you be using a phone or tablet, IOS or Android, or using the hand controller? 

I have paid the local import tax via the shipping company so everything is now paid. The total for the goods was £2261 which means I saved £452 on Uk VAT plus I saved £300 on the price vs other retailers at the time I purchased, then add £175 for shipping and import tax makes me £577 in pocket. Another way to look at it is that the savings made on the scope almost paid for all the accessories  :cool:

Baader Barlow is top notch from all the reviews I've read on it  ;)

#42 John Huntley

John Huntley

Viking 1

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

Yet another way of looking at it is that you have saved enough to buy a Nagler 31mm eyepiece ;)

Hope you get some clear skies for when it all arrives :)

Edited by John Huntley, 09 September 2014 - 07:10 PM.

• JerseyBoy likes this

#43 RC4U

RC4U

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Dakota

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

i have android and i wish i could have the app on my lenovo laptop with folding top to use as tablet....last night i turned it on and the app worked great ..well i did not actually do an align as there were no stars but it moved and slewed and when i hit a star it thought it went there...with the 2" diag and the big 24mm EP it can go over the top or about 1-2 degrees more the straightup....from where i balenced it... but could easliy keep going if i moved it a qrt inch foward on dovetail...i think i will try to use wireless on on laptop tonight and use stellarium...or maybe i will have to use a cord....i think i would like the bigger screen of laptop better than the app on phone..although my phone is the big motoroa droid with 5.25 diag screen..

#44 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

It transpires that when I was told everything was ready for shipping this did not include the telescope 

The accessories were shipped from Grovers and they had all arrived, but the telescope is being shipped direct from Celestron to ship2me!

The telescope is thus not expected for 11 to 17 days 

I just hope it doesn't arrive covered in Chrismas wrap!

#45 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

Hi RC4U,

Tablet is the way to go. My 10.1" Sony Xperia Z is a good size to use and only 15.49oz.

#46 John Huntley

John Huntley

Viking 1

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

It transpires that when I was told everything was ready for shipping this did not include the telescope 

The accessories were shipped from Grovers and they had all arrived, but the telescope is being shipped direct from Celestron to ship2me!

The telescope is thus not expected for 11 to 17 days 

I just hope it doesn't arrive covered in Chrismas wrap!

This is called "drop shipping". It's not uncommon but does mean that your dealer will not have checked the scope out before you get it as it's coming straight from the importers.

• JerseyBoy likes this

#47 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

But on a positive note a drop shipped scope won't have been handled as much by the shipping companies (sometimes a big benefit). It's an interesting trade off ... and it's a bit cheaper overall.

• JerseyBoy likes this

#48 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:06 AM

So long as they don't drop it when they ship it  :lol:

If they do then I take it the importer pays for shipping it back and replacing it rather than the retailer? 

#49 John Huntley

John Huntley

Viking 1

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

I think the retailer shoulders all the responsibility and should just sort things out with the importer, at no cost to you other than the wait for a replacement to be delivered.

• JerseyBoy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, beginner, cassegrain, astrophotography, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics