Photo

First telescope - NexStar Evolution 9.25" :-)

Celestron beginner cassegrain astrophotography accessories
  • Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#101 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Jersey, Channel Islands

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:01 AM

Hi Weasel,

How quickly are you able to set it up?

I leave it set up in one room or other, if I need to move it to a different room or onto the balcony it's just a case of removing the OTA, carrying the tripod+mount in one piece to the location, get it level, then carry the OTA and put it straight onto the mount. Takes a minute that's all.

I assume you both had your scopes shipped to you from the USA

No, mine came from Grovers in Northampton. I was delivered to ship2me in Southampton directly from the importer, ship2me then brought it across on the ferry and delivered it to me. As far as I know it is shipped from China to the importer, it doesn't go via USA. I did the Celestron out-of-focus test and mine does not need collimating (although I am no expert and and expert might notice something I did not) as far as I can tell.

Will your local retailers not match the price of a West coast retailer?

#102 Kashmir

Kashmir

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: England UK

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:14 PM

Hello guys
I am based in UK and got my Evo 9 through First Light Optics a very good main supplier here, they had a slightly cheaper price than others but more importantly had one in stock.

Last night I was due to go out for a pint with a fellow observer but the appearance of a clear night meant taking the scopes out instead. This was the first real chance of a proper evening to put the scope through its paces, so after doing my homework on Celestron alignments we got there at 1900 and set up. I am more used to Synscan GOTO HEQ5 Pro with a refractor so never used a SCT and Celestron GOTO

First alignment with Skyalign failed, not sure why but second with Vega, Altair and Capella was fine. To test it I used the supplied 40mm and dialled in the Moon which was fairly bright last night and the scope had it almost centred. This seemed good enough to me so cracked on

From there on I got to see M31, M92, M2, M15, M57, M81, M82, M27, M45 , M42, plus also saw Uranus and then to my amazement just scraped in Neptune. I finished by looking at the moon and using a lot of mag with an 8mm the detail was staggering, the best I have ever experienced. All in all a very successful night from the edge of town

Most of the Messiers were quite feint as the sky was a bit drowned out and some of them were nearer to the edge of the view after slewing, but they looked good and the detail was good I was happy with this knowing that a darker moonless sky will make them stand out, and that the kit was working.

What I found last night, main points

Still a bit more work on alignment accuracy for me to learn and implement
The scope is perfectly collimated, and had not suffered in shipping. I tested it on 2 different stars!
The red dot finder has been replaced by 9x50 illuminated RACI (is very nice)
Definitely needed a dew shield and a heater band and controller, the kit was dripping when we left.
The finder dewed up an hour before end of play so out with the hairdryer that gave it 30 minutes of life!
Transporting it all to the dark site and setting up was a lot easier than HEQ5 pro and messing with polar aligning
I need reading glasses and find the Celestron typeface on the keys harder to see than the Skywatcher HC, tried altering the lights but still harder for me to see.
The cable on the HC is too short for my liking and gets stretched, so added an extension lead which resolved this
I did not use the Wi-Fi although my phone does connect to it, however my tablet does not. The tablet was handy to look at Mobile Observatory app to check the sky view.
You can switch the Wi-Fi off from the HC and dim the mount icon and tray light as well.

There was zero wind last night so stability seemed very good. After focussing on a star it took a second or so to settle. It felt pretty solid.
It is very useful having a built in battery so all I needed was a small battery pack for the dew system.

All in all I am very pleased with how it performed last night, and knowing that I can use my 100 ED Apo or the Mak on this mount as well is a bonus.

Definitely looking forward to the next night out.
  • JerseyBoy and Weasel like this

#103 Weasel

Weasel

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:46 PM

Will your local retailers not match the price of a West coast retailer?

Not sure yet - I know some brick and mortar retailers won't price match with online retailers - but I need to confirm with my "local" retailer.. .I put it in quotes cause he's an hour's drive from me. There might be some closer... will do more looking around before I finally select where to buy from. So far, the cheapest I've found is from a west coast online retailer.... plus they usually have pretty good Boxing Day deals....  :)

Thanks for the other answers ..... that's good to know the collimation wasn't lost during shipping!

#104 Weasel

Weasel

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:47 PM

Hello guys
I am based in UK and got my Evo 9 through First Light Optics a very good main supplier here, they had a slightly cheaper price than others but more importantly had one in stock.

Last night I was due to go out for a pint with a fellow observer but the appearance of a clear night meant taking the scopes out instead. This was the first real chance of a proper evening to put the scope through its paces, so after doing my homework on Celestron alignments we got there at 1900 and set up. I am more used to Synscan GOTO HEQ5 Pro with a refractor so never used a SCT and Celestron GOTO

First alignment with Skyalign failed, not sure why but second with Vega, Altair and Capella was fine. To test it I used the supplied 40mm and dialled in the Moon which was fairly bright last night and the scope had it almost centred. This seemed good enough to me so cracked on

From there on I got to see M31, M92, M2, M15, M57, M81, M82, M27, M45 , M42, plus also saw Uranus and then to my amazement just scraped in Neptune. I finished by looking at the moon and using a lot of mag with an 8mm the detail was staggering, the best I have ever experienced. All in all a very successful night from the edge of town

Most of the Messiers were quite feint as the sky was a bit drowned out and some of them were nearer to the edge of the view after slewing, but they looked good and the detail was good I was happy with this knowing that a darker moonless sky will make them stand out, and that the kit was working.

What I found last night, main points

Still a bit more work on alignment accuracy for me to learn and implement
The scope is perfectly collimated, and had not suffered in shipping. I tested it on 2 different stars!
The red dot finder has been replaced by 9x50 illuminated RACI (is very nice)
Definitely needed a dew shield and a heater band and controller, the kit was dripping when we left.
The finder dewed up an hour before end of play so out with the hairdryer that gave it 30 minutes of life!
Transporting it all to the dark site and setting up was a lot easier than HEQ5 pro and messing with polar aligning
I need reading glasses and find the Celestron typeface on the keys harder to see than the Skywatcher HC, tried altering the lights but still harder for me to see.
The cable on the HC is too short for my liking and gets stretched, so added an extension lead which resolved this
I did not use the Wi-Fi although my phone does connect to it, however my tablet does not. The tablet was handy to look at Mobile Observatory app to check the sky view.
You can switch the Wi-Fi off from the HC and dim the mount icon and tray light as well.

There was zero wind last night so stability seemed very good. After focussing on a star it took a second or so to settle. It felt pretty solid.
It is very useful having a built in battery so all I needed was a small battery pack for the dew system.

All in all I am very pleased with how it performed last night, and knowing that I can use my 100 ED Apo or the Mak on this mount as well is a bonus.

Definitely looking forward to the next night out.

Nice review Kashmir!

Thanks!

#105 Weasel

Weasel

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

Have you been able to do much viewing yet JB? If so, have you been using the Baader Mk-III zoom EP? What are your thoughts on the scope and the EP??? 

So I just noticed that my local retailer has done more than matched the price...he's gone a whopping $1 lower!  :lol:

Lets see how the prices go on Boxing Day.... if my local retailer still matches, then I'll pick it up from the store if they're in stock... if I can get it in my car that is... those boxes look pretty big! Mind you, I could always take the tripod out of its box and put that in the trunk with no worries, and the OTA in its box can go in the back seat.... so I should be ok.... now just keeping my fingers crossed on that bonus!  :waytogo:

#106 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Jersey, Channel Islands

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:29 PM

Hi Weasel,

I've not had much use for the scope yet, due to never ending rain and clouds. I did get one good night last week where the moon was clear, I used the Baader zoom and got quite a bit of zoom before the image started to blur, the craters close up were great.

I manually slewed to Saturn and got a sphere but no rings visible! That's my lot really! :(

Your boxing day sales are getting close! ;) 

#107 Weasel

Weasel

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:19 AM

Hi Weasel,

I've not had much use for the scope yet, due to never ending rain and clouds. I did get one good night last week where the moon was clear, I used the Baader zoom and got quite a bit of zoom before the image started to blur, the craters close up were great.

I manually slewed to Saturn and got a sphere but no rings visible! That's my lot really! :(

Your boxing day sales are getting close! ;)

Hey JB.... Sorry to hear about the lousy weather in your neck of the woods... I'm pretty much in the same boat..on vacation this week and next, and so far, the weather has been lousy!

But on a good note...My Christmas bonus came in last week, and my impatience got the better of me... I picked up a 925 Evo last night! I figured, being a new model, the likelihood of it being on sale is pretty slim, and hoping that by getting it earlier in my vacation, I may, if the weather gods cooperate, get more viewing time in than I would get during the week while working...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some clear skies!  :lol:  :cool:  :waytogo:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, beginner, cassegrain, astrophotography, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics