• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 scopenitout

scopenitout

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mt. Belzoni

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

As a novice astro-photographer, like many others, I use DSS to stack my (Canon 450D) images.

For the skill level I'm at, I'm not unhappy with the results and DSS never gives me any trouble. I find it just about as simple to use as anything.

However, I'm wondering if CCDStack would give me better results with the DSLR. (I'm not planning to go to a dedicated CCD camera anytime soon).

If there is an improvement, would it be substantial enough to warrant the cost ($200)?

Edited by scopenitout, 06 August 2014 - 10:39 AM.

#2 G. Hatfield

G. Hatfield

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

I use CCDStack, but not for stacking.  For that I use Registar.  But I have used CCDStack for registration and stacking and it worked very well for CCD images.  I use CCDStack for almost every DSLR image I process, but mainly for DDP of the combined RGB image, formation of an artificial luminance and finally deconvolution of the luminance image.  I might also use DDP for the RGB using CCDStack, if it needs it.  From there I take the luminance and RGB into Photoshop and basically follow Adam Block's procedures for LRGB processing.  

I really like Registar for registration and combining.  Although it is very easy to use (no stars to pick) and rarely fails, it has memory management issues that prevent it from combining more than about 20 DSLR TIFF images...at least on my computer.  It has to have all the files in memory in order to combine them.   There are ways of getting around that problem....do the registration and combining in batches or use some other program like CCDStack or Images Plus to do the actual combining.  

George 

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics