Jump to content


Nikon D5200 with Eyepices?

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bsavoie


    Vostok 1

  • *****
  • Posts: 106
  • Joined: 30 Nov 2013
  • Loc: North Alabama 35747

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

I want to do Solor photography with my two systems, a Lunt LS60T Ha B1200, and a Celestron NS11 GPS, with Baader AstroSolar™ film Filter and a two inch Baader Solar Continuum Filter. Yesterday I set them both looking at the Sun, doing a comparison and I found something I did not expect. With the NS11 I needed a 56mm 2 inch eyepiece to optimize a whole view of the Sun. With the Lunt it was a 9mm 1.25 inch eyepiece. I just had not realized how different the focal lengths were. I thought I was done with 1.25 inch barrels, but the Lunt is expensive enough that I am not about to try to ask for more. These are just two very different optical systems.


How do I put a DSLR into the optical path to capture these views? One has a small lens, the other is very large. Yes, I can buy an Orion 5340 1.25 inch Universal Camera Adapter ($39.99), put in the Zhumell 9mm eyepiece and handle the Lunt, but what about the C-11? The Meade 4000 series 56mm eyepiece is just huge. I might buy ($119.00) a GSO 2" Camera Projection SuperView Photography Eyepiece - 42mm Superview, which allows the T threads to hide under the optical exit end.


Am I going in the right direction? Should I purchase these two items, or is there something better?

Edited by bsavoie, 06 August 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#2 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss


  • *****
  • Vendors
  • Posts: 3768
  • Joined: 19 Jul 2008
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

The Lunt has 60mm of aperture and 500mm of focal length.  The C11 has 279mm of aperture and nearly 2,790mm of focal length, So the C11 is going to magnify the image about 6x that of the Lunt because the focal length determines image size.


I would advise that you start out by just hooking the camera up to the scopes without an eyepiece at all.


For this you would need a simple 1.25" adapter for the Lunt and a 2" adapter for the C11 (assuming it has a 2" focuser back").


And you would need a T-mount adapter for your particular camera.


When you want to get into more magnification with the Lunt, then use a Barlow.


You're probably not going to need more magnification with the C11.



CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics