• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 drwho41963

drwho41963

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

I have read that the app that should be working with the Evolution 8 is really bad. Other than the internal battery and the high-performance worm gears and motors for improved tracking accuracy, along with reduced gear backlash. Is it still a better deal than the 8SE. You can get an 8SE in a nice package for 1,299.00

#2 drwho41963

drwho41963

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

I don't think the evolution 8 is not much better than the 8SE. I think the 8SE for what I want to use it for does the job for a lot less. Usually all the bells and whistles is over kill. But that's just me.

#3 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

The 8" SCT that comes with the Evolution mount is the same as the C8 or 8 SE. That hasn't been upgraded.  A telescope is not just its mount.  IMO, the main part of the telescope is still the telescope, that is, the OTA. That's why I opted to buy a NexStar SE 6/8 mount on sale and an EdgeHD 8".

I might eventually upgrade to Evolution, but I think I'll wait until the mount is available by itself. And then I'll purchase the larger, beefier version of Evolution that is sold with the C9.25.

Also, the planetarium/control program that is available for Evolution is a scaled-down version of SkySafari.  I have SkySafari Pro on my Android tablet and I love it. I'd rather wait until Evolution can work out-of-the-box with a full version of SSP. 

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 08 August 2014 - 11:12 AM.

• Starman81 likes this

#4 drwho41963

drwho41963

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

thanks for the reply. I actually already purchased that bundle I was talking about with the 8SE along with the NexImage 5mp. I got it Saturday and I set it up that night but its been cloudy and raining since then. I can't beleive that you only have 1 screw on holding the tube to the arm. is that really all to it. It looks like its in good and snug but makes you wonder if someone touches it will it fall off. Well I guess I have another week of rain and clouds before I can use it.

How do I test to see if it needs to be cullminated? And can I do it indoor?

• Fzwicky likes this

#5 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

Center a fairly bright star in a higher power eyepiece (Polaris is ideal since it sits still for you) and rotate the focus in both directions as the star slides out of focus. The rings around the donot hole caused by defocusing should be concentric in both directions. If they are your collimation is certainly good enough for visual observing. If not you can GENTLY and GRADUALLY adjust the three collimation screws  on the back of the secondary, rechecking the rings with each SMALL adjustment until they are good. Most SCTs come pretty well collimated out of the box and really rarely need fine tuning.

#6 Fzwicky

Fzwicky

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

I've had my 8 SE for almost a year now, and, yes, the single knob does hold the tube to the mount very snugly.  In general, the scope does a good job in locating the objects I choose.  I do have a noticeable pause before the scope begins to move when pressing a direction key, and the backlash settings don't do much to help that.  When I increase the backlash settings, the scope starts out its movement with a pronounced "jump," or it "jumps" when releasing the key.  I have both my settings on "1," and that seems to be OK.  Once I center and object after a go to, the object tends to drift slowly.  I stop the drift by briefly pressing the direction key opposite to the direction the object is drifting.  That stops the drift, and I can observe, usually for quite a while.  All this is a reflection of the cheap "spur gear" drive used, as opposed to the "worm gear" drive in the CPC models.  I used to own a CPC 1100, and had NO problems at all with drift or backlash whatsoever.  But, for what I paid for the 8 SE, and how it's saved stress on my back (my CPC 1100 weighed 65 pounds and was a bear to move around), I can deal with these small annoyances.  It's not the best SCT I've ever owned, but it works and the views are very good.  By the way, use the two-person method of collimation that the instruction manual for the scope details; it's very easy and makes collimation simple and quick.  I usually only have to collimate my SCTs once a year or so, and with my wife helping--she provides the finger sliding around the edge of the front cell--it only takes a few minutes.  This is all you need to do, at least for visual use.  Don't get all involved over collimation.  Don't waste money on those Hotec collimation screens, artificial star generators, or doing a super-high magnification star test.  Just read the method Celestron has provided for SCT collimation in its manuals for years now.  It works and you'll get nice crisp images.

#7 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

The 8" SCT that comes with the Evolution mount is the same as the C8 or 8 SE. That hasn't been upgraded.  A telescope is not just its mount.  IMO, the main part of the telescope is still the telescope, that is, the OTA. That's why I opted to buy a NexStar SE 6/8 mount on sale and an EdgeHD 8".

I might eventually upgrade to Evolution, but I think I'll wait until the mount is available by itself. And then I'll purchase the larger, beefier version of Evolution that is sold with the C9.25.

Also, the planetarium/control program that is available for Evolution is a scaled-down version of SkySafari.  I have SkySafari Pro on my Android tablet and I love it. I'd rather wait until Evolution can work out-of-the-box with a full version of SSP. 

Mike

I'm with Mike on this... Also waiting until the mount is available by itself (and maybe on sale ;)) and then throw an EdgeHD 8" on there with all the bells and whistles (FT focuser, Tempest fans, etc). The robust 9.25" mount version would be a luxury, but if you're going to go all out, then why not? :cool:

Also, SSP should really be able to be used with this mount, instead of the re-branded Celestron version which is causing lag, crashes and other issues. 

For now though, I am happily biding my time with the Nexstar 6SE for grab'n'go visual and future video astronomy endeavors. 

#8 stevesreed

stevesreed

Sputnik

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:49 PM

Also, SSP should really be able to be used with this mount, instead of the re-branded Celestron version which is causing lag, crashes and other issues. 

The next version of SSP (in for Apple approval now I believe) supports SkyQ wifi. Evolution mounts use the same protocol, so it should work with them as well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics