Auto 2 Star

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

• Loc: Litchfield NH, USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

Recently I changed my  location from Manchester NH to Long & Lat. Coordinates. Sooo, when I do the Auto 2 Star alignment and The Lat. coordinate shows up on the HC screen I click in all the numbers and likewise for Long.. A bit ago I was out at the scope and a thought occurred to me. Maybe when the Long. position shows on the HC just press enter rather than over rite the position. I turned on the scope and did it and it seems to work. Am I correct? :confused:

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

I think you're right. If you update your HC firmware you won't be asked to enter your site information anymore. The new firmware skips that. With the new firmware you hit undo when it asks for the time and then it will ask for your location. IIRC

#3 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

Steve,

I haven't updated my firmware. When I hit Auto 2 Star it first shows time which I "undo" then it shows Lat. which I've been overriting but today I just pressed enter and the next step (West) came up for approval.

Fred

#4 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Don't hit Undo. Just enter the new time and date values then select your first star from the scroll down list, likely Polaris.

#5 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

Eddie,

I'll try it and thanks.

Fred

#6 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

Eddie,

I tried.  It doesn't work..  Here's the procedure. elect Auto 2 Star and the top line say, To edit press undo and the bottom lie shows time = and some time number that's obviously wrong. There's also showing an Up & Down arrow. According to you instruction I have to change the time to the present time. My question is how. I tried just pressing on the first number for local time but that didn't work. I pressed the Down key and the screen changed to the start of the Long./Lat. data.  

What next????

Fred

#7 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

Which version of the firmware do you have? I'm running 4.18. I'll do a step-by-step later today.

#8 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:12 AM

Fred,

Try " Links and best of the Celestron Nexstar Forum" above.......then under "Useful forum threads" click on "Auto two- star alignment" and follow it through.

Take care.   Peter.

#9 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

Eddie

My HC has version 4.13

Fred

#10 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

Peter,

Thanks for that tip. That just confirms that what I discovered is correct.

Fred

#11 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

Here's my procedure.

1. Power on and press Enter to start alignment.

2. Scroll down one line to Auto Two Star and press Enter.

3. Display shows last entered time value.

4. I entered 02 06 30 then pressed Enter.

5. Scroll down one line to PM and press Enter.

6. Scroll down one line to Daylight Saving and press Enter.

7. Display shows Eastern USA, press Enter.

8. Display shows last entered date.

9. I entered 08 08 14 then pressed Enter.

10. Display now shows the list of visible and suitable alignment stars in alphabetical order.

11. I scrolled up to Polaris( shorter route ) and pressed Enter.

12. Display says to use direction buttons to go to first star, Polaris, which I did.

13. Press Enter then Align.

14. Scroll up or down to second star and press Enter.

15. Mount slews to second star. Center star with direction buttons then press Enter then Align.

16. Display says alignment OK then Star Pointer OFF as a reminder.

This is the way mine has always acted. I used the menu system to previously enter my lat/lon. Since I always use the front sidewalk with marks on the concrete and a set of wedge leveling sticks, I don't have to do any of that part again. There may be a difference between the behavior of version 4.13 and 4.18.

#12 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

Eddie,
I think the version number is the difference. As I said when the time comes up I cannot change it.

Fred

#13 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

On mine, the first digit in time is highlighted which indicates it can be changed. When your time is displayed, are any of the digits highlighted? Also, do you have to enter lat/lon each time or can you just press Enter to accept the displayed values.

If the version number is the culprit then it might be worth updating. It's a fairly simple task with lots of documentation available.

#14 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

Eddie,
No none of the time numbers are highlighted and yes, when the Lat./Long. data shows up I just press enter. As far as updating the HC, to put it mildly "I'm scared to death.
Fred

#15 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

If you don't feel comfortable doing an update then just stay with the version you have. The differences are likely the alignment procedure and not the performance thereafter. At least we now have a feel for what is happening.

#16 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

Hi Fred,

I haven't been following this one closely because others have already kindly offered and provided their help, but I could refresh my memory regarding the way my HC goes about all this. I say this because I'm operating my Nexstar 8i mount via the same HC version as you, (i.e. Version 4:13).

If you think it might help therefore, I'll willingly take a look at my HC in the morning. It's 11:25 pm here in the UK at the moment so this old fellah is beginning to miss his bed !

Let me know ?

Best regards,
Tel

#17 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

Old Fellah (AKA Tel)
Thanks for the offer but I don't think its necessary. I believe I've got it wright. Bye the way I got a surprise email from a pen pal of yours. Carl of ships in a bottle fame.

Fred

#18 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hi Fred,

Glad to hear you've got your alignment/c-ordinate problem "sussed". I also hope that you and Carl have much in common with regard to your other great hobby!

Best regards,
Tel

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics