Been off the map. I need help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Apollo

• Loc: Roscoe,IL

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

I have been out of the telescope scene for awhile. I am bleeding at the eyes trying to figure out what to buy to get back into it. I offer you these variables to jumble in your head to help me choose what to purchase to satisfy my urge. 

#1. I LOVE SOLAR.... as in pst or Lunt. I had a pst ... cried the day I had to sell it.

#2. I used to own both reflector and refractor. 10" and 5" were the max size I have owned. So I am no stanger to either. ( except a good APO.)

#3. I am now a disbled/retired bricklayer with a bad back.

#4. I still want a scope or scopes that will offer me that wow factor for your typical easy deep sky objects that said owned scopes would have offered.

#5. Keep it under 2k for all of this.... and point me to a seller. 

Thank you all for your responses!! 

I personally have been thinking of the dual scope mount...with a lunt on one side, and the other... a good quality portable big apo.... in budget. I am a visual person... but would love to be able to go remote with a mallincam or along those lines. 

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

bad back.  Check.

lightweight. check.

affordable. check.

who to call:

http://dobstuff.com/index.htm

A lightweight 10-12" would be easy for you to move, and these scopes would be above the quality (and lighter) than the typical imported Chinese scopes.

Some of those are quite good, but I think you'd enjoy something big that was actually lightweight.

• George N likes this

#3 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Sputnik

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

Second a dobsonian scope, either truss tube or full tube (depends on if you can lift things above your head to assemble the truss).  Excellent $ to size ratio and very simple to set up.  You may even build a nice little brick observing hut for yourself since you won't want to stop looking up.  They are fairly light if you need to take the scope to a dark sky location, and there are some nice carts out there.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics