•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Been off the map. I need help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Roscoe,IL

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

I have been out of the telescope scene for awhile. I am bleeding at the eyes trying to figure out what to buy to get back into it. I offer you these variables to jumble in your head to help me choose what to purchase to satisfy my urge. 

#1. I LOVE SOLAR.... as in pst or Lunt. I had a pst ... cried the day I had to sell it.

#2. I used to own both reflector and refractor. 10" and 5" were the max size I have owned. So I am no stanger to either. ( except a good APO.)

#3. I am now a disbled/retired bricklayer with a bad back.

#4. I still want a scope or scopes that will offer me that wow factor for your typical easy deep sky objects that said owned scopes would have offered.

#5. Keep it under 2k for all of this.... and point me to a seller. 

Thank you all for your responses!! 

I personally have been thinking of the dual scope mount...with a lunt on one side, and the other... a good quality portable big apo.... in budget. I am a visual person... but would love to be able to go remote with a mallincam or along those lines. 

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

bad back.  Check.

lightweight. check.

affordable. check.

who to call:

http://dobstuff.com/index.htm

A lightweight 10-12" would be easy for you to move, and these scopes would be above the quality (and lighter) than the typical imported Chinese scopes.

Some of those are quite good, but I think you'd enjoy something big that was actually lightweight.

• George N likes this

#3 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Vostok 1

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

Second a dobsonian scope, either truss tube or full tube (depends on if you can lift things above your head to assemble the truss).  Excellent $ to size ratio and very simple to set up.  You may even build a nice little brick observing hut for yourself since you won't want to stop looking up.  They are fairly light if you need to take the scope to a dark sky location, and there are some nice carts out there.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics