Photo

Mounting 4" binoculars on a Half Hitch MKII

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rfic1

rfic1

Messenger

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

I recently acquired a Half Hitch Mark II mount to use with my 4" Miyauchi binoculars. I finally received the L bracket required to mount the binos to the dovetail plate. All is properly mounted but I am having considerable trouble acheiving proper balance for the mount to funtion properly. Point the mount up to the zenith and they fall backwards, Towards the horizon and they fall forward. If I tighten the tension brake to slove slove that issue, then the Alt slow motion control slips.  For a number of years I have used the Lightspeed Wagon to mount the binos and they did a great job. I however sold them in favor of the lighter more portable half hitch. I'm begining to think I made a huge mistake in doing so. Any tips on mounting the 4" Miyauchi's to the half hitch would be appreciated.

#2 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

Hi

HalfHitch mount needs a little effort to understand how to do two axis balance properly.

It took me some time to get used to it.  You might want to email to Charles to get two axis balance 

instruction note first.

You would need to change saddle height and L-bracket height to get two axis balanced besides

slide dovetail back and forth, weight trimmer, finder scope if you have it.

Once you achieve two axis balance and perfectly leveled, HH moves smoothly and stops at any direction, and

slow motion control does not slip at all.  You need to master it :)

I have a few photos to show how I mounted APM 100ED binoculars on HH.

With APM 100ED, The L-bracket didn't have enough width so I had to cascade dovetail.

It looks ugly but it did work.

Smaller binoculars (like Kowa Highlander) did fit without extending the bracket).

Probably Miyauchi fits well.

Good luck :)

Tammy

large.jpglarge.jpglarge.jpglarge.jpglarge.jpg

#3 rfic1

rfic1

Messenger

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

Thanks Tammy,

That's exactly how  I have them mounted. I do have the balance weight.  I guess I need to fiddle with them a bit more. BTW the Miyauchi's do fit without a extended plate off the L bracket.

#4 Quintessence

Quintessence

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

You will NOT need the balance trim-weight.  As Tammy has correctly stated, you WILL need to perform the two-axis balance procedure -- and I do have instructions for doing it.  It is important to follow a methodical procedure that isolates the up-down component of balance from the end-to-end compontent of balance.  If the Half Hitch is dedicated entirely to the Miyauchi binocular, I would suggest entirely removing the trim-weight AND bracket PRIOR to performing the two-axis balance procedure.  You just won't need it -- and taking them off enhaces portability.

Charles

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics